Topic: Let's Rescue the K-Car.

Yes, I'm serious. I'm making this post here rather than the K-Car subforum so more people might actually see it.

The backstory, for those who need it.

I have it on good authority that NSF will take the car back if it finds its way down to Florida. My team had actually been planning a dramatic rescue attempt to ferry the car from its current resting place to the Barber race in February, but now it looks like we won't be able to make it happen with the added time off work. We weren't planning to race the car, but I had a verbal agreement from a certain repeat offender to bring it from Barber down to NSF HQ after the race. I'll let him speak up in case things have changed.

So now I'm trying to crowdsource the effort. This car deserves another chance at glory. I'm not going to try convincing anyone this is a good idea; if you know the history you either want to help already or you don't.

The K is currently located in Wilmington, Ohio, almost halfway from Cincinnati to Columbus. There's a bunch of stuff that goes along with the car, but the current owner said he could help scrap some unwanted items. ("Like the car? Hurr durr.") The K is a wagon, so I'm willing to bet that all the good stuff (wheels and tires, tools, spare parts) will fit in the car itself. The car rolls, so it could be as simple as loading everything up and pushing/winching it onto a trailer (or even a 2-wheel dolly).

I think the easiest way to do this is for someone from the Midwest to bring it to a race farther south (CMP, Road Atlanta, Barber), and then hand it off to someone else to bring the rest of the way home to its makers. I can't help much with the actual delivery from Houston, but I can volunteer to help with gas money, coordination, and making small sacrifices to the dark eldritch powers that inhabit the car's chassis. I bet there's enough true believers out there to make this happen.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Are you a bad enough dude to help rescue the K? The world wants to know.

Re: Let's Rescue the K-Car.

Having run the K once I have thought about rescuing her many times but no one ever seemed to want to join me. Probably because it's a dumb idea which makes it perfect. Can't think of any way I can help though other than praying for your soul.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

3 (edited by fleming95 2018-10-03 11:27 PM)

Here we go again. . . smile .. . remember that there is nothing* between that car and winning Class C!

* "nothing" may, in fact, include liberal loss of blood and approaching insanity, or salvation, take your pick, YMMV, etc.

You're a fool Frank!

...how can I help?

I've toyed with the idea of picking the K up myself, but the wiring nightmare has always scared me off. But if someone else is willing to adopt it, I'd be willing to help out however I can. A quick search shows that there's a dozen K cars sitting in junkyards within a couple hours drive of me, so I can pick up a new windshield, gas tank, engine, and what ever else it may need.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

If for some reason it gets to Fl,unclaimed, keep going south till PBIR,  it will be accepted with open arms.

Wires are my thing, there is room, shop, tenacity and willpower to make it run.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

So is anyone driving from Ohio (or Detroit, or Pittsburgh, or Indy) to any of the South races but not already towing a car? The 2019 Spring CMP race is a 24-hour.

7 (edited by fleming95 2018-10-03 11:18 PM)

Maverick74 wrote:

You're a fool Frank!

...how can I help?

I've toyed with the idea of picking the K up myself, but the wiring nightmare has always scared me off.

I haven't seen the K since its last outing at Sears, and the wiring then didn't look too out in the weeds, at least for the engine wiring.  The interior wiring had been 'K'ustomized, but that'd just be a day or two staring at it until you teased it apart and put it all back in.

Maverick74 wrote:

But if someone else is willing to adopt it, I'd be willing to help out however I can. A quick search shows that there's a dozen K cars sitting in junkyards within a couple hours drive of me, so I can pick up a new windshield, gas tank, engine, and what ever else it may need.

Check this out:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dod … +tank,6268

Given that price - and a windshield at $160 - half-shafts for $60 - shocks that range from _$7_ to $30  - transmission mounts for 78 cents - I can't figure why more people don't race 'em!

Anyone have pics of the current condition of the car?

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

9 (edited by addict#52 2018-10-04 06:57 AM)

Maverick74 wrote:

You're a fool Frank!

...how can I help?

I've toyed with the idea of picking the K up myself, but the wiring nightmare has always scared me off. But if someone else is willing to adopt it, I'd be willing to help out however I can. A quick search shows that there's a dozen K cars sitting in junkyards within a couple hours drive of me, so I can pick up a new windshield, gas tank, engine, and what ever else it may need.

I'd be in, where's it currently located?
EDIT, helps if you read, Ohio

I still say the only way this car will achieve true glory is if somebody installs a 318 mopar in it and makes it RWD.  As Iacocca intended.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

If you're looking at parts, keep in mind the current drivetrain came out of a Dodge Daytona with a 6G72 (Mitsubishi 3.0L V6) and 5-speed manual. I assume based on Wikipedia that it was a 1990+ Daytona.

The last engine was removed after blowing up in California (it's still with the car). The current owner in Ohio procured a Chrysler 3.3L V6 (hoping to add some reliability, maybe?) before realizing that this engine was never offered with a manual transmission. I assume the bellhousing pattern is the same since Chrysler designed the 3.3L to replace the Mitsubishi 3.0L, but I'm not sure if there's a flywheel and clutch combination that would make the swap possible. Replacement SOHC 6G72s have previously been sourced from junkyard Dodge Dynasties and the like.

It's your funeral.

If you wind up with it don't harm the commie mural hood.  It needs to make its way back towards me someday.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

mechimike wrote:

I still say the only way this car will achieve true glory is if somebody installs a 318 mopar in it and makes it RWD.  As Iacocca intended.

This is actually exactly what Bob Mitchell wants to do. He confirmed NSF will take it. Sasha says he'll bring it down to Florida if someone brings it to the DC area.

SpaceFrank wrote:
mechimike wrote:

This is actually exactly what Bob Mitchell wants to do. He confirmed NSF will take it. Sasha says he'll bring it down to Florida if someone brings it to the DC area.

IIRC based on the professionalism/workmanship on display in the previous K modifications, HQ was reluctant to approve a V8/RWD swap in that car.  The last time I saw it, it scooted along pretty good with the v6.  Why not just figure out how to make the V6 last?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

15 (edited by EyeMWing 2018-10-04 10:49 AM)

If we can get it running and to PA, I'll drive it on Moscow to Paris and deliver it to Barber. I'll need to leave and not race, however.

If it needs race prep I'll probably need a hand.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

It needs an engine and a gas tank (and maybe some other stuff) before it could be driven.

Did it have a fuel cell or just an OEM tank? A new tank is like 70 bucks, I can bang that in.

If anyone has the time to source a bolt-in-ish engine I can sort that too.

Or if we can figure the clutch/flywheel to make the 3.3 fit, whatever.

Team FinalGear

cheseroo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:
mechimike wrote:

IIRC based on the professionalism/workmanship on display in the previous K modifications, HQ was reluctant to approve a V8/RWD swap in that car.  The last time I saw it, it scooted along pretty good with the v6.  Why not just figure out how to make the V6 last?

Uhhhh, other than the "Because we say" clause, what grounds do they have to approve something like that? At worst it doesn't work, and at best it doesn't work.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

19 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-10-04 12:56 PM)

EyeMWing wrote:

If we can get it running and to PA, I'll drive it on Moscow to Paris and deliver it to Barber. I'll need to leave and not race, however.

If it needs race prep I'll probably need a hand.

If you want to do this, I will step up and get it rewired and running.

I have Gingerman and then Route Sucky-Suck to do, but I can probably coerce my team mate to get it from Middle of nowhere ohio back up to still practically nowhere ohio.

Message me.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I will need someone to get an engine not the 3.3 (just researched its a complete no go) and windshield/tank I can do the angry magic pixie tubes and get it to PA for the rally. Maverick 74 you down for some of that?

Cage will have to be an on track fix a barber.

My teammate is go for retrieval after Gingerman.

Here's a project spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Guildenstern wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

Uhhhh, other than the "Because we say" clause, what grounds do they have to approve something like that? At worst it doesn't work, and at best it doesn't work.

I believe it was a "because I said so" clause that specific teams/people were not going to be allowed to perform that swap.  It's their sandbox and we have to have their permission to play in it.  If there is no plan to do that swap then it's not an issue.  Otherwise, I'm of the impression that HQ wants to see the plans and the result executed to those plans.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Email sent.

This is such a bad idea.

Team FinalGear

cheseroo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

I believe it was a "because I said so" clause that specific teams/people were not going to be allowed to perform that swap.  It's their sandbox and we have to have their permission to play in it.  If there is no plan to do that swap then it's not an issue.  Otherwise, I'm of the impression that HQ wants to see the plans and the result executed to those plans.

Well that's Between them and Bob I reckon.