Topic: Help me. I'm stoopid.

I just swapped the trans in my FWD car.  The shift lever now goes abnormally far forward for 1st, 3rd and 5th gears.  I swear on the graves of my long dead ancestors that I connected the linkage correctly. 

What else would cause that?

Chad

Fireball Racing - ‘67 Ford Fairlane and ‘73 Saab Sonett

I've lost a lot, but the Fairlane finally won an IoE.

Re: Help me. I'm stoopid.

Are both ends of the cable secure?  Usually have brackets to keep them in place.

Is it cable shifted or linkage?

It's just going to be an alignment issue. If it's cables then the ends on the shifter usually have slots to adjust forward and back. The ends on the trans may, but it's less common. If it's a linkage, there will be adjustment somewhere, but i'm not familiar with your car enough to know where.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

+1 on the shift cable bracket.  It may not have been placed exactly where it should be.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

TheEngineer wrote:

It's just going to be an alignment issue. If it's cables then the ends on the shifter usually have slots to adjust forward and back. The ends on the trans may, but it's less common. If it's a linkage, there will be adjustment somewhere, but i'm not familiar with your car enough to know where.

It's linkage.  Two rods.  This is a trans that was in this car previously and I've never adjusted the linkage in the past so I'm not even sure if there is an adjustment.  I'll have to look again. 

Any other ideas?

chadadams59 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

It's linkage.  Two rods.  This is a trans that was in this car previously and I've never adjusted the linkage in the past so I'm not even sure if there is an adjustment.  I'll have to look again. 

Any other ideas?

There will always be some adjustment somewhere. Look where the linkage attaches to the shifter, or where it attaches to the trans. one end should have some sort of adjustment to bring the shifter back to center.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

7 (edited by RobL 2018-10-08 07:52 AM)

Transmission not in the right spot - too far forward or back?   Is it canted forward or back?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Is there any way you could have one of the mounts flipped, or (don't know what this engine's mounts look like) left and right mounts the on the wrong sides?

I don't think it's even possible to mount the trans incorrectly.  The mounts and stuff only fit on the car one way.  I've swapped the trans in this car three times now and I've never had this issue before.  I hope it's just an adjustment thing.  I'll take another look on Thursday at the track.  Thanks for the insights....