Topic: NHMS results/recap

One year has passed and we finished more than 8 laps.  No trophies this weekend, but we finished 22nd overall and are thrilled.   

I had a great time racing with many cars in the last session.  (orange and white Porsche, white Honda, etc.)  Froze some important bits off driving home in the bat mobile, but the fun we all had made it worth it! Happy Festivus to all and we'll see ya at NJMP next year.

Batman-

Winner "We Got Screwed" award NHMS 2017
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"
https://www.facebook.com/squidroperacing/

Re: NHMS results/recap

squidrope wrote:

One year has passed and we finished more than 8 laps.  No trophies this weekend, but we finished 22nd overall and are thrilled.   

I had a great time racing with many cars in the last session.  (orange and white Porsche, white Honda, etc.)  Froze some important bits off driving home in the bat mobile, but the fun we all had made it worth it! Happy Festivus to all and we'll see ya at NJMP next year.

Batman-

You drove home in that cold with no roof?!

One of our better outings as well.  39th overall with 2 hours left when a wheel bearing gave up the ghost and mauled the spindle.  Either way, it speaks for the series and all of the competitors when we drove 8 hours away for a DNF and think it was one of our best weekends yet.  Thank you all.  See you at NJMP.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Re: NHMS results/recap

squidrope wrote:

One year has passed and we finished more than 8 laps.  No trophies this weekend, but we finished 22nd overall and are thrilled.   

I had a great time racing with many cars in the last session.  (orange and white Porsche, white Honda, etc.)  Froze some important bits off driving home in the bat mobile, but the fun we all had made it worth it! Happy Festivus to all and we'll see ya at NJMP next year.

Batman-

In our best finish ever, we came in just in front of you at 21st. We had a great time chasing some cars in B class, the 510 Bright Ideas Truck, and 308 Red Z car to name a couple.

This was a great race. I can't speak to the whole weekened, but the opening hours on saturday (10-1:30) were clean and seemed to have less of the boneheadedness that the east coast can have.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

Happy with 34th overall considering the following happened.

2 blown tires
Fuel pumps - yes, both of them, gave out w/30min left on Saturday
broken radiator mount due to some contact (not sure who's fault)
engine ventilated itself on the last lap and had to be towed in.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1 - needs a theme
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

It was a fun race.  We climbed up to 7th then developed a fuel supply issue that would cause the car to cut out over 4000 rpm on Saturday which left us at 35th.  New fuel pumps and Sunday was back to normal and we finished 17th.  At least we have a functional car to end this season, last year we blew the motor in the final hour.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Re: NHMS results/recap

chaase wrote:

broken radiator mount due to some contact (not sure who's fault)

I tried to catch you guys on sunday when you came through the penalty box, but you got to track on too fast. Radiator was literally dragging on the ground. Sucks so much went wrong.




Just for reference, I'm now even more of a fan of the walbro pucks for fuel cell pickups. Saturday I was trying to run 10-1:30 in the car. Full fuel cell, 22 gallons, normally we burn just over 5 gallons an hour. At 1:10 it bucked hard coming out of the bowl. No gas. There was just enough that I could putt around for one more lap while my team got their asses to the hot pits. I'd have to coast a while to let it build fuel pressure and then I could go 1/8th throttle for a couple corners. We put 20 gallons in it and there was still a little room, so we used just about all of it. I much prefer this system with it's tiny bit of warning to the hydromat where once it's gone, you're just done.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

I tried to catch you guys on sunday when you came through the penalty box, but you got to track on too fast. Radiator was literally dragging on the ground. Sucks so much went wrong.

The driver must've come back in because we got it resolved pretty quickly and had him back out. The radiator didn't break/leak so we were okay.

Just for reference, I'm now even more of a fan of the walbro pucks for fuel cell pickups. Saturday I was trying to run 10-1:30 in the car. Full fuel cell, 22 gallons, normally we burn just over 5 gallons an hour. At 1:10 it bucked hard coming out of the bowl. No gas. There was just enough that I could putt around for one more lap while my team got their asses to the hot pits. I'd have to coast a while to let it build fuel pressure and then I could go 1/8th throttle for a couple corners. We put 20 gallons in it and there was still a little room, so we used just about all of it. I much prefer this system with it's tiny bit of warning to the hydromat where once it's gone, you're just done.

Fuel problems were more with the pumps themselves, we have two in the fuel cell and the car just died on me. I was only an hour in so I had plenty of fuel. The fuel pressure gauge was reading almost zero, so the pumps failed. We got an external pump and hooked it up between days and were out to take the green.

I've seen the pucks before so they may be an option, but we do have a fuel gauge and we keep detailed track of drivers and fuel usage so hydramat wouldn't surprise us.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1 - needs a theme
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

Wasn't really suggesting them as a fix to pump issues, just sharing my experience with them this race. Our fuel usage is do different depending on weather, driver, track, etc, that it's hard to get better than a rough estimate, so having some warning is nice.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

9 (edited by chaase 2018-10-23 09:02 AM)

Re: NHMS results/recap

TheEngineer wrote:

Wasn't really suggesting them as a fix to pump issues, just sharing my experience with them this race. Our fuel usage is do different depending on weather, driver, track, etc, that it's hard to get better than a rough estimate, so having some warning is nice.

don't worry, I know 8-). We have two different pickup locations, front right and back left so we got a lot of coverage. I saw the pucks and thought they were pretty neat and a viable alternative to the hydramat.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1 - needs a theme
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

We had a great weekend going with our big pink Buick until mid-day on Sunday.  Finished Saturday in 3rd place in Class C, our best showing yet.  I don't think we were ever going to catch the Ranger as it seemed to be on the track forever, I don't think they ever re-fueled, lol.  Made up 4 or 5 laps Sunday morning on the black Cadillac which was in second place in Class C until the transmission mount broke and pulled out of the casing cracking it in the process.  The car is a blast to drive now that it's supercharged, although it is a GAS HOG now.  Fuel cell for next year as we were only getting a little over an hour and a half before we needed gas.

Re: NHMS results/recap

racerben77 wrote:

We had a great weekend going with our big pink Buick until mid-day on Sunday.  Finished Saturday in 3rd place in Class C, our best showing yet.  I don't think we were ever going to catch the Ranger as it seemed to be on the track forever, I don't think they ever re-fueled, lol.  Made up 4 or 5 laps Sunday morning on the black Cadillac which was in second place in Class C until the transmission mount broke and pulled out of the casing cracking it in the process.  The car is a blast to drive now that it's supercharged, although it is a GAS HOG now.  Fuel cell for next year as we were only getting a little over an hour and a half before we needed gas.

Out of curiosity, which mount did you have issues with?  We pulled our drivetrain out of our Buick (the Park Bench) a couple weeks ago before Gingerman and did discover a couple loose bolts.

We usually get 1.75 hours out of a tank of gas, generally good for 4 driver stints/day.  I don't recall that changing a whole lot when we went from the NA to the supercharged engine, but its been a while.  We've kicked around the idea of a fuel cell, but not entirely convinced its going to make things that much better.

-mike

12 (edited by stano316 2018-10-26 07:05 AM)

Re: NHMS results/recap

racerben77 wrote:

We had a great weekend going with our big pink Buick until mid-day on Sunday.  Finished Saturday in 3rd place in Class C, our best showing yet.  I don't think we were ever going to catch the Ranger as it seemed to be on the track forever, I don't think they ever re-fueled, lol.  Made up 4 or 5 laps Sunday morning on the black Cadillac which was in second place in Class C until the transmission mount broke and pulled out of the casing cracking it in the process.  The car is a blast to drive now that it's supercharged, although it is a GAS HOG now.  Fuel cell for next year as we were only getting a little over an hour and a half before we needed gas.

We Refueled! We were running 3 drivers day 1, and then on day 2 I jumped in the last 1.5 hours for 4 stops.  The truck was running great this weekend.  We were going through about 7 gallons per hour.  We went into this race the mindset to win Class C, and wasn't going to accept anything less....lol.  Our fuel stops were quick.  I think one stop we fueled 14 gallons and changed drivers in under 3 minutes.  It was a great race and I think we finished 23 or 24 overall....

Can't wait for next year, we have some work to do over the winter to make sure we can compete in B....We eventually want to be the first truck in A, or at least the truck to bring down some of these E36's!

Hit'em With The Hein!

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

Re: NHMS results/recap

The Corvette also runs Walbro pucks, but for some reason at just under half a tank the car was sputtering on track.  It has a 20 gallon tank and I can't believe 10'ish gallons of premium is suspended from the bottom of the tank.  We burn 9-11 gallons an hour pending traffic and driver.  I will investigate during the cold months. 

Overall results
Saturday at 2pm the Dual Mass Flywheel became a two piece flywheel.  Finished the repairs 1am Sunday. Started Sunday in P94 and worked our way up to  P68 before the checkered flag dropped.  We finished 2 laps behind the slowest car, a VW Rabbit Cabriolet Diesel.

So now that the catalytic converters are removed (Thompson / 2 hours lost), and dual mass flywheel (NH / 3 hours lost) has been replaced, what can possibly fail next?  I'm gonna check all the wheel bearings and U-joints.  I am aiming for a top half finish next year before the Chevette is ready to race again.

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

14

Re: NHMS results/recap

mcguirjf wrote:

I'm gonna check all the wheel bearings and U-joints.

That's what took us out with our best finish ever in sight.  On the flip side, we got home at 1am instead of 3am.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

15

Re: NHMS results/recap

TheEngineer wrote:

This was a great race. I can't speak to the whole weekened, but the opening hours on saturday (10-1:30) were clean and seemed to have less of the boneheadedness that the east coast can have.

I got into the back of a red miata on Sunday.  I think it was the convertible?  Maybe had eyelashes?  It was going into the oval, and was unintentional.  I ran out of 'whoa' and had people closing fast on either side...we don't have get-out-of-the-way speed.  It wasn't a hard "hit", but I think I got under you and jostled you around a bit.  I never got to apologize in person.  I tried as best as I could on track.  I'll happily make room in my haul to NJMP for the beer of your choice to make right in person in May if you're there.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

16 (edited by jbl 2018-10-26 04:15 PM)

Re: NHMS results/recap

.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Re: NHMS results/recap

Hahahahaha no worries at all on the rear end love tap. None of the guys said anything to me about it and I don’t remember it so couldn’t have ben that bad. It might have ben partially on us as well the car was battleing fuel starvation all weekend. But we nurses it through the weekend to a surprising 44th place finish. Not to bad for our 3rd race. The weekend was a blast and we have learned so much through this season. Thanks for everyone’s patience as we went through growing pains hahaha. Have a great winter everyone and can’t wait to see you all at njmp

18 (edited by jbl 2018-10-27 06:37 AM)

Re: NHMS results/recap

Ahh...that was it then.  It seemed to happen too fast.  We had nasty corner speed, but no power....it didn't make sense that I caught you where I did.  Regardless, that beer offer still stands.  See you at NJMP.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

Re: NHMS results/recap

Worst race since our first ever.  Started the day with a 4500rpm rev limiter issue and then pull it on before the green dropped and it wouldn't start.  Crank position sensor bolt backed out and wasn't grounded.  (Its behind the timing covers and on the timing pulley)  got started about 45 min behind the green.  Then the car ran better than ever has until finally throwing rod #1 for no reason at about 5.5hrs.  haven't looked at it but we gotta figure what were gonna do the future.  We need about 20 more hp and nothing much more we can do with what we have.  We cannot go around corners faster than we already do haha.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Re: NHMS results/recap

The DTV Corvette finished 68th right behind the rookie VW Cabriolet NA Diesel.  This was the second race on the Direzza ZIII's (I did flip the tires left to right) after Thompson and they are done.  This race we ran the Raybestos ST-43's and had an issue with boiling the front brake fluid.  Thompson we ran Raybestos R4E and had no issue with boiling the brake fluid.  I did notice that I have a lot more brake pad left with the ST-43 vs. the R4E.  Used the same brake fluid ATE Type 200.  I do have brake ducts.  Next race I'm going with Motul 600 or 660.  Car weight is 3200lbs and we run a square set up of 275/35R18.  We also had fueling issues where I can I only go 1.25 to 1.5 hours max.  We burn 10-12 gallons an hour.  At the hot pits I can only get 12-15 gallons in leaving 5-8 gallons sloshing around and not being used.  Currently running 4 Walbro pucks.  I do have a working fuel level sender and plan to upgrade to the Holley Hydramat.  The challenge is that the fuel tank is 4 feet in width.  The SBC ran great!  We keep the RPMs between 2-4K and the car is happy.  Saturday at 2pm the dual mass flywheel became a 2 piece flywheel resulting in no stint on Saturday for me.  Sunday I got out twice and was able to put down a couple 1:23 laps.  Linked below are my stints.

My first stint on Sunday
https://youtu.be/XpbdpP-GYyw
My last Stint on Sunday
https://youtu.be/q4Mnui6SlUk

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

Re: NHMS results/recap

mcguirjf wrote:

The DTV Corvette finished 68th right behind the rookie VW Cabriolet NA Diesel.  This was the second race on the Direzza ZIII's (I did flip the tires left to right) after Thompson and they are done.  This race we ran the Raybestos ST-43's and had an issue with boiling the front brake fluid.  Thompson we ran Raybestos R4E and had no issue with boiling the brake fluid.  I did notice that I have a lot more brake pad left with the ST-43 vs. the R4E.  Used the same brake fluid ATE Type 200.  I do have brake ducts.  Next race I'm going with Motul 600 or 660.  Car weight is 3200lbs and we run a square set up of 275/35R18.  We also had fueling issues where I can I only go 1.25 to 1.5 hours max.  We burn 10-12 gallons an hour.  At the hot pits I can only get 12-15 gallons in leaving 5-8 gallons sloshing around and not being used.  Currently running 4 Walbro pucks.  I do have a working fuel level sender and plan to upgrade to the Holley Hydramat.  The challenge is that the fuel tank is 4 feet in width.  The SBC ran great!  We keep the RPMs between 2-4K and the car is happy.  Saturday at 2pm the dual mass flywheel became a 2 piece flywheel resulting in no stint on Saturday for me.  Sunday I got out twice and was able to put down a couple 1:23 laps.  Linked below are my stints.

My first stint on Sunday
https://youtu.be/XpbdpP-GYyw
My last Stint on Sunday
https://youtu.be/q4Mnui6SlUk


The pucks should do a LOT better than that. What does your setup with them look like? Maybe there's a leak in the piping inside the fuel cell that's allowing it to pull air before the fuel level runs all the way down? We also run pucks, and I can get it to use more than 20 of our 22 gallons. Don't know exactly how much because we only have 4 fuel jugs and it took every last drop with some space to spare when i ran it dry.

We use ST-43 pads and ATE Type 200 fluid in the 3400lb saab. Fluid has been fine. Pads we did manage to overheat this race. Did you reuse the fluid from thompson? If so did you test it?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

Removed fluid from reservoir and bled all brake fluid before race.  Your note of the ST-43 overheating is interesting.  Maybe I'll stay with the R4-E's, or find something else.  I'm curious if the combination of the ST-43 and Motul 660 will keep me braking happy.

The fuel pucks are set up in an "I-beam" pattern. One puck forward and rear on both driver side and passenger side of the tank.  I used submersible grade fuel hose and used fuel injector grade hose clamps for each interface. One of my teammates stated that my pump is too strong (Walbro GSL-392) and if 2 of 4 pucks lack fuel it could suck all my pucks shut.  I have yet to call walbro tech support on this.

The Defeat Device Mid-Engine 1979 Chevette
Fastest / craziest Chevette driver in America!

Re: NHMS results/recap

mcguirjf wrote:

Removed fluid from reservoir and bled all brake fluid before race.  Your note of the ST-43 overheating is interesting.  Maybe I'll stay with the R4-E's, or find something else.  I'm curious if the combination of the ST-43 and Motul 660 will keep me braking happy.

The fuel pucks are set up in an "I-beam" pattern. One puck forward and rear on both driver side and passenger side of the tank.  I used submersible grade fuel hose and used fuel injector grade hose clamps for each interface. One of my teammates stated that my pump is too strong (Walbro GSL-392) and if 2 of 4 pucks lack fuel it could suck all my pucks shut.  I have yet to call walbro tech support on this.

Are you running at least 1 of the vented version of the pucks? Before settling on Hydramat I did some research on the pucks and found that if you don't have at least one vented puck in the system it can cause them all to close up when fuel sloshes and one side goes dry.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Re: NHMS results/recap

echoing the above. You need at least one vented puck. The other danger without one, if you suck all the pucks closed the residual vacuum in the lines will hold them closed for a long time, meaning even when you refill the cell you might not get fuel out. The vented puck prevents this.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Turbo Dodge Powered E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: NHMS results/recap

"Sucking pucks" should go right on over to the "Two Words Only" thread in the driver's lounge....