Topic: New HANS tethers

At the last race I was too busy fixing my car to run my gear through tech.   No worries, one of my team took care of that.  BUT he was told that I would need new HANS tethers for next year.  Again not a HUGE deal, but I have not been able to find ones with date codes on them.

I have a Simpson hybrid sport for a HANS and I use the quick pull style (  "D"  rings)  to connect it to my helmet. 

Is Simpson putting Date codes on these yet or should I wait for a bit?  They have not replied to my E mails so far.

Matt,

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: New HANS tethers

The tethers are not dated and are not a required replacement. Hans recommends replacing them every 5 years. I think one of the other racing organizations is recommending a shorter period. My experience is that a couple of the Lemons tech inspectors started informing people of the Hans recommended replacement periodicity at races this year. Haven't seen anything from Lemons that indicates it might be a future requirement. Other than just asking if they have been replaced in the last X years I don't know how Lemons could enforce a replacement period for tethers.

Hmmm..  Ive seen them with date codes on them, but not for the Simpson I use.

I share my HANS with another team mate,  can anyone comfirm so I can stay current/safe?

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

moparfan wrote:

The tethers are not dated and are not a required replacement.

Ummm, mine IS DATED.  I never even noticed it until the tech inspector showed me at RA last year, so immediately ordered a new one, and it IS DATED as well.

The replacement wasn't expensive, so not really a big deal.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
moparfan wrote:

The tethers are not dated and are not a required replacement.

Ummm, mine IS DATED.  I never even noticed it until the tech inspector showed me at RA last year, so immediately ordered a new one, and it IS DATED as well.

The replacement wasn't expensive, so not really a big deal.

I guess I'll pop down to the local circle track shop and see if they can order me one in.

Everything Simpson makes has a manufacture date (year) on it. Call them, or go to one of their three locations, if one is close. Or visit your nearest professional track shop.

(Note: they also have a re-certification program. They inspect the entire unit, replace the tethers, and put a new SFI sticker on it.)

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

I just sent in 2 HANS devices to the Simpson facility in Texas. $25 to certify and $40 for the new tethers. $5 for shipping. I think that this is the minimum price despite what they say.

There is a form to fill out on the Simpson site. They turned the Hans devices around in about 3 days.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

I actually work for Simpson in Mooresville NC.  If you or anyone else has questions regarding anything to do with safety or equipment let me know.  Yes, tethers are dated and it is recommended that you replace if you have been in a wreck but it is mandatory every 5 years for HANS or Hybrid.  That is an SFI certification rule.