Topic: Firewall plugging - looking for a solution from Lowe’s

What is the simplest solution for plugging the wire pass throughs in the fire wall??

I’m looking for a simple solution I can buy from homedepot or Lowe’s as our race is in a week and a half.

Thanks!

Re: Firewall plugging - looking for a solution from Lowe’s

what your looking for is a firewall grommet.  Not 100% sure they have them at lowes but should be at local car parts stores or they should be able to get them in a day or so.  You just need to know the size of the whole your going through.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Nut, bolt, and 2 fender washers.

Spank wrote:

I really like where your head is at. Although I’m not sure how the mechanics of this solution would work exactly. Can you provide a little more detail - like how the wire fits into this version of a pass through

BoB wrote:

what your looking for is a firewall grommet.  Not 100% sure they have them at lowes but should be at local car parts stores or they should be able to get them in a day or so.  You just need to know the size of the whole your going through.

I haven’t Been able to find a firewall Grommet  at either Lowes or Home Depot. And I don’t really feel like spending $40 a pop on these things from Summit racing.  Has anyone had any luck with maybe potting their wires through a jimmy rigged pass-through with fire retardant caulk or something to that degree?

waffle_stomp wrote:
Spank wrote:

I really like where your head is at. Although I’m not sure how the mechanics of this solution would work exactly. Can you provide a little more detail - like how the wire fits into this version of a pass through

That would be if there were no wires left.  If it is a large hole, get some grommets that are made for that purpose. 

If it is a small hole that already has a grommet to protect the wire and with a little bit of light going through try some liquid gasket seal like:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-M … B0002UEN1U

For large holes without wires, I used roof flashing, a little bit of the gasket stuff and rivets.

Are the stock grommets missing?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

There is a fire-block caulking material for chimneys, and other fire rated penetrations.
I've used fuel line that fits the hole REALLY tightly, and not taken any grief from tech.
No ones pointed it out either, so I don't know if anyone has ever looked closely.

Just searched HD and there is 3M Fire Block Caulk and Fire Block Foam.
Run the wires through a fuel line and then fill it with caulk of foam.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

FYI, harbor freight sells an assortment of grommets.

https://m.harborfreight.com/180-piece-h … 67582.html

rlchv70 wrote:

Yeah, I've got a box of assorted ones. Even came with some plugs.

That guy

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=37149

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

rb92673 wrote:
waffle_stomp wrote:
Spank wrote:

That would be if there were no wires left.  If it is a large hole, get some grommets that are made for that purpose. 

If it is a small hole that already has a grommet to protect the wire and with a little bit of light going through try some liquid gasket seal like:

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-M … B0002UEN1U

For large holes without wires, I used roof flashing, a little bit of the gasket stuff and rivets.

Are the stock grommets missing?

lol oh ok - got it! for the holes in the firewall without wires running through them we we just welded in some scrap plate we had around the garage.

as far as stock grommets go ----- i think we tossed em, out of ignorance, 4 years ago when we started this project.... sad

rlchv70 wrote:

perfect! i'm assuming we can use these in the fire wall...

good thread -  definitely agree on making it safe.... i like the fire proof caulking suggestion in addition to a nice snug fit maybe --- in any case all great input --- plenty of options at this point.

We use the fire caulking from Lowes. If the opening is too large we add some pop riveted sheet metal, always making sure to protect the wiring with rubber hose..six years...18 races.. never a problem.

#9 Audi CQ Scooby Doo Car known as the Mystery Machine, #44 Audi 4KQ painted as a tribute car to the 1989 IMSA  car driven by Haywood, Stuck, and Rohrl, and the #95 Audi TT Lightning McQueen.

Another way to cover up holes is the aluminum tape they sell in the HVAC dept. to seal up duct work.  It's metal and better then any rubber/plastic plug which can melt even without having a fire.

jimbbski wrote:

Another way to cover up holes is the aluminum tape they sell in the HVAC dept. to seal up duct work.  It's metal and better then any rubber/plastic plug which can melt even without having a fire.

Aluminum tape was recommended in tech recently for open holes. My first couple years I struggled to find usable grommets for wires. Finally bought an assortment from NAPA and it makes quick changes much easier.

I'd recommend getting both an assortment box of grommets and the tape for open or oddly-shaped holes. Having both handy will keep you out of tech and the pits if you have to change something on the fly.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."