Topic: (pic included!) steering wheel passthrough need fire proofing

so we effectively moved the steering wheel pass-through in the firewall to accommodate our new seat location. 

(for those of you keeping track of my ridiculous number of posts on here -- we probably lost the packing that went into this sleeve a couple years ago when we decided to move the steering wheel pass-through location.)

below is a picture of what we are dealing with -- pretty standard I think...

my initial thought was to pack it with fire proof insulation and then but a cv boot on the ends to keep the packing from falling out. (not sure how that cv boot would work on the engine side considering the geometry on that end is basically just the shaft sticking out of a hole in the fire wall.

let me know if yall have any thoughts....

http://i63.tinypic.com/23t4h7d.jpg

Re: (pic included!) steering wheel passthrough need fire proofing

Just throwing ideas out:

If you can pull the shaft all the way out you could polish it and get a delrin bushing on there (or some other low friction plastic).  Or a split one with a shoulder at the end of the tube and a split collar on the shaft to keep it in the tube.

A cheapo sealed ball bearing could work if you can slip it on from the other end (and find the right size).  A boot might be a bit close to the pedal and get torn up/caught on people shoes.

RedBoss wrote:

Just throwing ideas out:

If you can pull the shaft all the way out you could polish it and get a delrin bushing on there (or some other low friction plastic).  Or a split one with a shoulder at the end of the tube and a split collar on the shaft to keep it in the tube.

A cheapo sealed ball bearing could work if you can slip it on from the other end (and find the right size).  A boot might be a bit close to the pedal and get torn up/caught on people shoes.

THIS

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Not sure what the other side of the unit looks like. If that tube ends at the firewall then the other side might seal with a flax packing. Look up marine shaft flax seals.

If you can't find one to purchase then you could build something similar to what old cars used. Take the sidewall of an old tire and cut it up. You want a circle about two inches in diameter larger than the steering wheel shaft. Then cut a circle out of it just larger than the  steering wheel shaft. A slit from the inner hole to the outer edge to enable you to slide it over the shaft. Drill holes around the outer edge to use to attach it to the firewall. Grease up the inner hole and install. Not the same as a modern flexible boot but something similar worked for many years on a lot of cars.

squidrope wrote:
RedBoss wrote:

Just throwing ideas out:

THIS

I really like this idea. However —  The steering wheel shaft and the past through or not Coaxial. The steering wheel shaft is basically resting on the bottom side of the Pass through –you can see in the picture. This is because we needed our steering wheel positioning to be lower in the car so we tried to take up as much of that travel as possible. I’m going to take a look at the engine side of this interface and see if that Passthrough  and steering wheel shaft are  coaxial on that end.   If there are then that would be a great place for a Delran Bushing.

moparfan wrote:

Not sure what the other side of the unit looks like. If that tube ends at the firewall then the other side might seal with a flax packing. Look up marine shaft flax seals.

If you can't find one to purchase then you could build something similar to what old cars used. Take the sidewall of an old tire and cut it up. You want a circle about two inches in diameter larger than the steering wheel shaft. Then cut a circle out of it just larger than the  steering wheel shaft. A slit from the inner hole to the outer edge to enable you to slide it over the shaft. Drill holes around the outer edge to use to attach it to the firewall. Grease up the inner hole and install. Not the same as a modern flexible boot but something similar worked for many years on a lot of cars.

I really liked the old tire idea. It is simple and gets the job done. I just need to find out how much space I have to work on the engine side of firewall .