Topic: 1964 Mercury Comet Build

I have been planning/debating this build for some time now. I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a pre-bent cage for the car back in September and it showed up yesterday! it is and original 289 2 door hard top car that is too far gone to restore(missing title as well) but a perfect car for a build. Purchased 1995 Thunderbird with blown head gasket 5.0 and AOD for $200. pulling that engine and maybe front brake setup. freshening up the engine and converting it to carb. I have been collecting most of the build Items over the last year and its about time to get moving on it.

Parts list as of now:
Roll cage
bad head gasket engine engine and unknown trans!
22 gallon ATL fuel cell(used with new bladder, needs foam)
fuel lines, filters and pump
non efi parts to convert blown 5.0 to Carb.
gauges for dash(leaving the original gauge cluster in tact if at all possible.
18" Kirkey road race seat
rear brake conversion(Thunderbird had drums too damn it)
all materials for installation of electronics, and fab work
kill switch

Items still needing to order:
Fire suppression system
wheel and tire combo
suspension items
steering components(possibly doing a complete swap)

I am sure many items along they way will be needed.

any input on the build etc. is always welcome. once I get things moving I will start posting PIcs. and Most likely will have everything updating on our FB page as well.

Planning on an Epic trip for its Debut......just saying!

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

Re: 1964 Mercury Comet Build

Any reason you are not using the original 289?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:

Any reason you are not using the original 289?

we are going to take a look at it when we pull it, however it has sat in the elements for many years with and open intake and no valve covers. we are guessing it is toast. the car does still have the original green dot Automatic, which is going to my dad as back up(rebuilt first) for his fully restored 64 comet.

Team Captain at Rust Belt Racing,IOE Pontiac Aztek with The Pit Crew Revenge,Organizers Choice 1956 Nash Metro With Cheesy beards Racing,IOE 1977 Toyota Celica S/T RBR,.SERVICE BY MANNY, MOE, AND JACK PIT CREW REVENGED AEWOO LEGANZA,Judges Choice Chevy HHR RBR

How did you get a 1995 Thunderbird with an AOD and 5.0?
All MN-12 had the AOD-E and they stopped having the 5.0 in 93.
Did you use alternate reality craigslist? I know it’s tempting, but every sale tears a tiny hole in reality that could allow the ancient and unspeakable ones back into our realm.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

How did you get a 1995 Thunderbird with an AOD and 5.0?
All MN-12 had the AOD-E and they stopped having the 5.0 in 93.
Did you use alternate reality craigslist? I know it’s tempting, but every sale tears a tiny hole in reality that could allow the ancient and unspeakable ones back into our realm.

It is probably a 93, I honestly did not look at the year, it was a family members car, that had been parked in the back field of my dads house for some time after it blew the head gasket(2 plus years ago) purchased for scrap weight at the time, the trans isn't being used, mostly all assumptions. I have a small block c-6 sitting in one of the sheds from back in the day that will be used.

Guildenstern wrote:

Not anymore, after that 1992 Hudson Terraplane i picked up a few years ago ended up being infested with microshoggoths.

(and to the original poster, please post up some pics of your farm-fresh Comet and Tbird.

RandolphCarter wrote:

(and to the original poster, please post up some pics of your farm-fresh Comet and Tbird.

Working on photos

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/ … grmd1k.jpg

Lets see if this works

Here ya go:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/20181103_133004_zpshigrmd1k.jpg

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

darkostoj wrote:

Here ya go:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/20181103_133004_zpshigrmd1k.jpg

Ty, what am i doing wrong?

stangman4ever wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

Here ya go:

Ty, what am i doing wrong?

When you attach an image it needs to be inside the BB code.  There are Image codes.

Example

[img]WEBLINK.JPG[/img] with no spaces

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

stangman4ever wrote:

Lets see if this works

Looking at this, I see the potential for an altered wheelbase 'gasser' hotrod.

Looks like you're going to have a fun project with this.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/20181103_133021_zpsszkifw1o.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/20181103_133113_zpseu2olvkq.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1541115272339_zpsozeargbk.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e133/stangman4ever/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1541115278229_zps4zjl2sen.jpg

More pics. Last one is half ass shot of donor tbird. Long ways to go on this one. First from scratch build.

Hi there. We've been racing a 1964 Fairlane for six years in Lemons. We are located in Savannah, GA. I'm not sure whether the Comet was mechanically similar to the Fairlane or the Falcon in that year (I think it was either/or depending on year), but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. FWIW, we used the green dot tranny for exactly one race before switching to a 3-speed toploader.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

ballpeen wrote:

Hi there. We've been racing a 1964 Fairlane for six years in Lemons. We are located in Savannah, GA. I'm not sure whether the Comet was mechanically similar to the Fairlane or the Falcon in that year (I think it was either/or depending on year), but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. FWIW, we used the green dot tranny for exactly one race before switching to a 3-speed toploader.

Comet wheel.base is shorter by 1.5" track width shorter by 2" so not much difference at all. We are going to attempt to draft an sn95 front suspension in it. Rear end will be 8.8 disc. All donated from a 5 lug swapped fox body shell i have as a parts car from a fox restoration im working on.

stangman4ever wrote:

Parts list as of now:
Roll cage
bad head gasket engine engine and unknown trans!
22 gallon ATL fuel cell(used with new bladder, needs foam)
fuel lines, filters and pump
non efi parts to convert blown 5.0 to Carb.
gauges for dash(leaving the original gauge cluster in tact if at all possible.
18" Kirkey road race seat
rear brake conversion(Thunderbird had drums too damn it)
all materials for installation of electronics, and fab work
kill switch

!

Was at the warehouse this weekend and forgot I also had a seat harness as well.

I know jack shit about Fords, but you'll be joining a good club with a Lemons car from 1964.

Only advice I have is take the opportunity to fix all the rust you can while you've got it torn apart. Also, ballpeen is good people. smile

SpaceFrank wrote:

Only advice I have is take the opportunity to fix all the rust you can while you've got it torn apart.

I mean our team name is Rust Belt Racing, and rust equals weight reduction! weight reduction equals domination!

that being said there are areas that will need to be addressed. luckily the floors are good. frame rails are good. the worst area is inside the trunk. we will need to address. I will get some pictures this week and post of what I am talking about.

If that has the goofy power steering that the Mustangs do. Maybe swap that crap out. Maybe go manual

MBTL Racing

Loves me some vintage Fords!  Good luck!

Ratdoggy wrote:

If that has the goofy power steering that the Mustangs do. Maybe swap that crap out. Maybe go manual

all power steering is goofy, looking into manual racks

That was my Mom's first car.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

stangman4ever wrote:
Ratdoggy wrote:

De-powered power steering = manual steering.

At least, it has been for 5+ races on our Ford.  And it weighs something like 2 tons.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

rmcdaniels wrote:

That was my Mom's first car.

Its my Dads Favorite car as well. He has one fully restored he takes to shows when he is feeling good enough too. this was one of his "Parts cars" hoping he sees it on a track before he has any other issues keeping him from going to a race.

mechimike wrote:
stangman4ever wrote:
Ratdoggy wrote:

De-powered power steering = manual steering.

At least, it has been for 5+ races on our Ford.  And it weighs something like 2 tons.

If it's like what was on the Fairlane, it'll try to kill you if you just unpower it. Early Fords like these have a setup with a double-acting hydraulic ram attached to the center link. The steering wheel actuates a valve on the center link, which ports fluid to the actuator, which drags the center link (and the tires) until the valve is centered again. You may recognize this as the same setup used on such racing thoroughbreds as Hyster forklifts.
Problem is, there's about an inch of play in that valve, so when you drive around without the ram holding the center link in place, and you hit a pothole, or a leaf, or a shadow, the wheels can steer a decent amount in either direction without ever letting you know via the steering wheel. Doing 35mph down my residential street was far more stressful than anything I've done with the car since. If you're doing a MustangII or SN95 swap, no problem, but if you keep it stock, a manual center link is the cheapest answer.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner