Topic: Greetings All, first post

Greetings All

My name is Brent (I'm 60) and have been into cars even before I hit the age of 10, I found out about the 24 hr Lemons race while watching RoadKill on you tube. I was fascinated by the concept and the I found out this race comes to Hew Hampshire race way (~ 30 miles north of me).

I contacted a friend (~ 10 miles away) to see if he would be willing to do a "Last Hora" with me (we've done a few frame up restorations on British Sport cars) and he was excited about it (along with 2 of his neighbors) .

The race is in October 19 in Nh so we have a bit of time to iron things out but I wanted to start by asking a few questions for those who do this.

I have a Gery market (06) Smart car, it has no remaining value (tough to get parts for and MB won't support the gray market crowd, why there is no value left). I was going to donate it to the salvation army but the I thought "How cool would it be to do a 24 hour race with a 600cc turbo charged 6 speed 2 seater" got me thinking.

My questions are the following, 1: it is a grey market car, upgraded to US standards and has a US DOT sticker, would they accept this?
It has a wheel base of 71.3 inches (they said the will make exceptions in the rules section) do they allow Smart cars?

Or would we be better off starting with a junk 80s car?

Just wondering

Brent

Re: Greetings All, first post

From the "rule book"...

3.D.1 Minimum Wheelbase. The minimum acceptable wheelbase is 82 inches (as delivered by the factory). Cars with smaller wheelbases may be granted a waiver by Lemons after extensive review of the team’s construction and safety plans. (These plans inevitably require extensive, high-quality engineering; lots of new material; and huge amounts of high-quality fabrication. If you’re the least bit shy on talent, dedication, or budget, it’s better to pick something else.)

Between parts availability,the amount you'd spend on modifications and the size (and closing speeds) of the other cars on the track,it’s better to pick something else.....

This is just my opinion,of course....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

BigBird

I figured as much (cost to size) but I thought it would be cool to run a car like that (Hello Salvation Army) , what (from your experience) would a "Green" teams buy to give them the best shot of being able to get out there and race\have fun.

Thanks for the input

Brent

BigBird wrote:

From the "rule book"...

3.D.1 Minimum Wheelbase. The minimum acceptable wheelbase is 82 inches (as delivered by the factory). Cars with smaller wheelbases may be granted a waiver by Lemons after extensive review of the team’s construction and safety plans. (These plans inevitably require extensive, high-quality engineering; lots of new material; and huge amounts of high-quality fabrication. If you’re the least bit shy on talent, dedication, or budget, it’s better to pick something else.)

Between parts availability,the amount you'd spend on modifications and the size (and closing speeds) of the other cars on the track,it’s better to pick something else.....

This is just my opinion,of course....

Your first car really depends on the team. Usually the cheapest and easiest is to buy someone else's car. If you want to build your own go with a car you know and have worked on them in the past. Anything popular that will have plenty of junkyard parts available.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I dont see them giving a Smart a waiver.  Why not British?  No one has done an XJ8 or S-type.  S-type just screams to be converted into an Edsel grille.  60's Daimler sedans havent been done.  Rover 2000tc.  Austin Princess.  Triumph 2000.  The Super Grover Rover 3500 is for sale in your neck of the woods.  Look in the "for sale" section of the forum.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I dont see them giving a Smart a waiver.  Why not British?  No one has done an XJ8 or S-type.  S-type just screams to be converted into an Edsel grille.  60's Daimler sedans havent been done.  Rover 2000tc.  Austin Princess.  Triumph 2000.  The Super Grover Rover 3500 is for sale in your neck of the woods.  Look in the "for sale" section of the forum.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36806

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.