Topic: Road Atlanta seat(s) available

It looks like I will 1 to 2 seats available for Road Atlanta. The car is my 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano, an A class car with five 2nd place finishes in Lemons. You read that right - 5 times we have been first losers. That's a record in Lemons. Its a good car, but does not react well to ham fisted shifting and driving. It has set some FTD's in some of the races but is usually not the quickest car on track. But it makes a beautiful noise as only a Busso V6 can.

I'll have my usual paddock trailer setup with a huge amount of tools and spares to deal with any issues. Although you always seem to need the spare you don't have, right?

For those of you that know Team Pro Crash Duh Nation- no we won't be cooking a huge Pasta dinner for the usual 200+ friends in the paddock Saturday night, we are bare bones for this one. This is going to be a hamburger / Hot dog / Peanut butter & Jelly weekend. Potentially this is the last race for this car (Angelina) as the cage rules are changed next year. First shot goes to fellow racers we know and respect.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

Re: Road Atlanta seat(s) available

what are the cage rules change you mention?

Your Miata Parts Pimp

They are outlawing any type of bolt in cage. We started at the first East Coast race at Stafford Springs back in 2008 with an Autopower bolt in cage. We beefed it up for the 24 hour race we did at Nelson Ledges then kept on updating it as the rules changed. It has a lot of new tubes and bracing etc. But its gone come 2019.

But make no mistake, a purpose built cage is better and safer than the one in my car.

The car has 34 races and 24,000 racing miles on her. Its a shame really.

Road Atlanta is her swan song.

Greg

1987 Alfa Milano (Bellissima since 2008), Racing since 2008 Stafford Springs,  2nd overall 2011 NJMP, 4th at NHMS 2011, 2nd at Summit 2011, Into the wall hard at Stafford Springs 2011, 2nd at Monticello 2013, 3rd at NHMS 2013, 2nd at NHMS 2016. 2nd at NJMP 2018

25,000 racing miles in 32 races in 10 years. Yes its the same motor. Tell me again how Alfas suck? Update: Big moneyshift = new motor

What are you asking for the seat?

5 (edited by Greg S 2018-12-01 11:45 AM)

For a driver that can be vetted. I will charge $500 excluding all Lemons charges. If they show for practice day they would pay an equal share of the cost for that day and get  proportional amount of time. For the $500 you get round about 2 hours in the car on Saturday. Food & drink etc. will be bare bones since we are just 2 instead of the usual 8-10 we usually have. This is way cheap because I need the help and come hell or high water I want to race at Road Atlanta.

It 8 hours of racing on Saturday and 6.5 on Sunday. Do a good job on Saturday and there is a possibility of a short stint on Sunday.

If the car blows up etc. before your stint full refund.

If your interested PM me and we'll go talk. Its an Alfa - its lots of fun and fast but just like a fiery Italian women it can be tempestuous.

Here is a video of the car at Thompson Raceway.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAMLguS8ztM&t=60s

Greg

VanillaHaze wrote:

What are you asking for the seat?

PM'd

Greg S wrote:

You read that right - 5 times we have been first losers. That's a record in Lemons.

Heh. No it's not. Team SOB was finishing second place for what seems like centuries. (never race a VW.)

You don't want to rip it out and put a real cage in it?

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

8 (edited by Greg S 2018-12-02 08:52 PM)

jfbeam wrote:
Greg S wrote:

You read that right - 5 times we have been first losers. That's a record in Lemons.

Heh. No it's not. Team SOB was finishing second place for what seems like centuries. (never race a VW.)

You don't want to rip it out and put a real cage in it?

Better check that with the head record keeper, Eric Rood, he's the one that said it. 5 overall 2nd places in the same car with the same team.

10 years, 33 races, 24,000 racing miles with an additional 3000 testing miles. It's been hit on every corner - front and back multiple times and the tin worm has had its way with her. If I cut the cage out now - it will collapse into the iron ore it came from. Not to mention that there isn't anything straight on the car to do a proper alignment with. There are patches welded over patches welded over other patches
on the car.

9 (edited by jfbeam 2018-12-02 09:41 PM)

Greg S wrote:

Better check that with the head record keeper, Eric Rood, he's the one that said it. 5 overall 2nd places in the same car with the same team.

I will defer to he who keeps a database (because it's a pain to try to figure it out after the fact. esp. when numbers and names change) The best I can tell, they had 3 2nds, 2 3rd, and 2 4th in the VW (and several down in the weeds when it really broke) Then switched to an E30 and finished 1, 1, 2 in their next 3 races. They sold that car to some other poor schmucks.

(In looking through our own history, looks like we've had 2 top-10 finishes. WTF. 3 if you count Sebring -- 3rd overall.)

We had a similar moment with Duffy having to change the back stays. After the Volvo Amazon incident, the rear passenger side is a little bit further in than when the cage was originally built. There was a bit of tension in that pole.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

jfbeam wrote:
Greg S wrote:

I will defer to he who keeps a database (because it's a pain to try to figure it out after the fact. esp. when numbers and names change) The best I can tell, they had 3 2nds, 2 3rd, and 2 4th in the VW (and several down in the weeds when it really broke) Then switched to an E30 and finished 1, 1, 2 in their next 3 races. They sold that car to some other poor schmucks.

(In looking through our own history, looks like we've had 2 top-10 finishes. WTF. 3 if you count Sebring -- 3rd overall.)

We had a similar moment with Duffy having to change the back stays. After the Volvo Amazon incident, the rear passenger side is a little bit further in than when the cage was originally built. There was a bit of tension in that pole.

Yeah, they have us on second place finishes in the same car.  It just seemed like we were always the first loser.  The VeeDub had a tendency to break just enough to destroy our souls every race.  I think we led something like 9 or 10 races only to have something break on Sunday (and seldom the same part other than the tranny).  Something about cheap econobox MK2's did not like high speeds for 14 hours for some reason.

Good luck finding a warm butt, and see you at RA!

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

They sold that car to some other poor schmucks.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Seriously though, VWs suck for reliability...

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

Wow im really tempted!  would love to get a seat in there!

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA