Topic: PittRace Testing Sign-Up

Hey all! I just wanted me to post the PittRace Test & Tune link since it's a new track for us. It'll save you $25 if you sign up in advance, open through 4/11.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pi … mpl-043425

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

2 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-02-12 01:58 PM)

Re: PittRace Testing Sign-Up

Wait, I thought the 30 minutes of parade between getting on the track and the green flag actually dropping was the test and tune time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Sounds like they're running the testing day like an HPDE, breaking cars into similar speed groups and running shorter "stints". Going to make things interesting for teams like ours where we just want to throw each driver out for 5-10 laps to learn the track.

I also emailed them to clarify their rules on instructors. None of our team are certified instructors, but we would like to put someone in the passenger seat to help each other learn faster. They said they were ok with our more experienced drivers counting as instructors, but if they got too many requests they'd be making an "instructor" group where it would be limited point by only passing....

Each track has their own rules, I know that. But this does seem to be a departure from what most are used to.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

In the past (Other series) events there they had public sessions and race car sessions 30 minutes each, alternating.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

5 (edited by darkostoj 2019-02-17 07:59 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Wait, I thought the 30 minutes of parade between getting on the track and the green flag actually dropping was the test and tune time.

I didn't realize that's exactly what it was until my first race and the axle ripped out of the car....

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

TheEngineer wrote:

Sounds like they're running the testing day like an HPDE, breaking cars into similar speed groups and running shorter "stints". Going to make things interesting for teams like ours where we just want to throw each driver out for 5-10 laps to learn the track.

I also emailed them to clarify their rules on instructors. None of our team are certified instructors, but we would like to put someone in the passenger seat to help each other learn faster. They said they were ok with our more experienced drivers counting as instructors, but if they got too many requests they'd be making an "instructor" group where it would be limited point by only passing....

Each track has their own rules, I know that. But this does seem to be a departure from what most are used to.

Similar situation with our team.  We'd love to be able to have 2 in the car to get us as familiar with the track as possible.  Do I need to e-mail the track or can we address this when we arrive/sign up?

eta-Are 2 allowed if more experienced driver is driving or "coaching"?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

we've not bugged the track since. I'm hoping that not many do before hand, and then we all do in person and they just allow it instead of setting up a separate no passing but you can have passengers stint. We'll have two seats and harnesses installed for Friday.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Oh my...did you see the cars signed up for practice?

2007 Corvette z06, Turbo Porsche 944, 2011 Porsche GT3, Honda s2000, 2011 Mustang GT, fancy BMWs, etc.
(As well as a super fancy 1987 Honda Prelude SI !!!!)
So if they separate everyone (Lemons vs non Lemons), we'll only have 50% of the day (4 hours) of track time (if the car does not break and we get through tech quickly)
So each driver will be lucky if he gets 20-30 minutes of track time that day
Is it really worth it...?

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm … DB4A3F4A25

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

Oh my...did you see the cars signed up for practice?

2007 Corvette z06, Turbo Porsche 944, 2011 Porsche GT3, Honda s2000, 2011 Mustang GT, fancy BMWs, etc.
(As well as a super fancy 1987 Honda Prelude SI !!!!)
So if they separate everyone (Lemons vs non Lemons), we'll only have 50% of the day (4 hours) of track time (if the car does not break and we get through tech quickly)
So each driver will be lucky if he gets 20-30 minutes of track time that day
Is it really worth it...?

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm … DB4A3F4A25

Looks like there will be 3 groups: Lemons, Competition Cars (non Lemons), Street cars (non Lemons) 

Practice will be very expensive compared to other Lemons events.  We're still going to practice as it's worth $300- to have some time on the track prior to the race.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Yea, we're a little annoyed with how they're running it, but it's their show, so play by their rules. We signed up so we can throw each driver out for 5 laps and see the track before the race.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

If you haven't seen the email from the track, here's what friday looks like. 3 hours total if you signed up all day, 1.5 hours if you just got the afternoon......

The tentative schedule is below. The final schedule will be available at driver check-in.

7:45 AM  Drivers Meeting (full day participants)

8:30 AM - 9:00 AM  Non-Lemon's

9:05 AM - 9:35 AM  Lemon's

9:40 AM - 10:10 AM  Non-Lemon's

10:15 AM - 10:45 AM  Lemon's

10:50 AM - 11:35 PM  Non-Lemon's

11:40 PM - 12:25 PM  Lemon's

12:30 PM Lunch

12:45 PM Drivers Meeting (afternoon participants only)

1:30 PM - 2:00 PM  Non-Lemon's

2:05 PM - 2:35 PM  Lemon's

2:40 PM - 3:10 PM  Non-Lemon's

3:15 PM - 3:45 PM  Lemon's

3:50 PM - 4:35 PM  Non-Lemon's

4:40 PM - 5:25 PM  Lemon's

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Also this...

"Driver Requirements:

All drivers must present proof of a current competition license or have documentation from Pitt Race HPDE or other program that shows the driver is in the advanced group. We will accept valid license credentials from: SCCA, NASA Competition or HPDE4 license, Professional Sports Car Racing, VSCDA, SVRA, Vintage National License, VRG, RCCA, NASCAR, CART, FIA, or EMRA. Certificates documenting the completion of a racing course from an accredited driving school within the past 12 months may also be accepted."

Anyone know how serious this is?

They said they'll allow a Lemons license for the Lemons run groups.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

They know those aren't a real actual thing right?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

They know those aren't a real actual thing right?

yep , they kno .     I e mailed them already about this ,  they will have a copy of the pertinent info on Lemons licenses , I guess you will just show ID maybe ?  to get your wristband

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

So, some good, and some bad with the test day.

Good:
They allowed passengers
They allowed open passing for the Lemons sessions
They were well organized
The driver's meeting for the test day was well done
The fee for test day got everyone on your team on the list to drive, unlike some other tracks where it's extra for more drivers

The bad
Only getting 3 hours tops if you did the full day, or 1.5 hours for half. The price was steep with this taken into account.

I was apprehensive when I saw that we were sharing the day with non Lemons people, but overall it worked out better than I expected, even if we broke the car Friday and I only got 2 laps  to shake it down.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon