Topic: Question regarding drivers licence

My friends and I are new here and planning to attend our first 24 Hours of Lemons this fall, and we have a quick question regarding licensing. All of us have our full driver's licenses in either Canada or the United States apart from one person, who only has their learners licence in the province of British Columbia. Can you be a driver at the 24h of Lemons with a Canadian learners licence, or does one have to have a full driver's licence?

Thanks for your help,
Adam

Re: Question regarding drivers licence

This would be a question for Nick.....

GENERAL Lemons QUESTIONS
Nick Pon
Associate Perpetrator
nick@24hoursoflemons.com

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

3 (edited by Spank 2019-02-24 07:56 PM)

Yes, I can say full Canadian license is acceptable even though I'm not Nick. But the Learner's permit is an interesting question.

In the US, a Learners Permit generally requires a licensed driver to be inside the car with the learner. A Provisional is the next step and is limited driving hours. How does a Canadian learners permit work?

4 (edited by Fishah 2019-02-24 09:57 PM)

Perhaps check the rules?

2.2: Driver Eligibility: All drivers must have a valid US or International driver’s license and a valid Lemons Competition Membership. .

So the answer is no, in case that wasn't clear.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

I have never had a problem using my BC license to enter a Lemons race.

Spank wrote:

Yes, I can say full Canadian license is acceptable even though I'm not Nick. But the Learner's permit is an interesting question.

In the US, a Learners Permit generally requires a licensed driver to be inside the car with the learner. A Provisional is the next step and is limited driving hours. How does a Canadian learners permit work?

It works about the same here. The learner's licence requires there to be a licenced adult in the vehicle at all times, whereas a novice licence restricts both number of passengers and the hours driven. He could get his novice licence (provincial equivalent) in time for the test, but there just isn't enough time for him to get his full licence.

Fake ID

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

Would a competition license from an FIA-affiliated organisation be quicker to get?

Otherwise, you just found your chief logistics manager/pitbitch.

Definitely email Nick, but I would guess that a Learner's License/Learner's Permit that doesn't let you drive a car by yourself is no good for Lemons. I think people have asked about US intermediate/provisional licenses before, but I don't remember what the answer was.

Emyr wrote:

Would a competition license from an FIA-affiliated organisation be quicker to get?

Any type of FIA/SCCA/etc. competition license is of no use in Lemons:

2.2: Driver Eligibility: ...No other competition licenses are recognized or reciprocated.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally