Topic: Full 24s

How often are full 24 hour races? Is there any rhyme or reason as to when they are scheduled? I know about the one at CMP in April.

2 (edited by BigBird 2019-02-28 07:28 PM)

Re: Full 24s

Generally once a year(at different tracks from year to year)

It's really,really a hassle for the organizers (staffing,corner workers,etc.....)
As soon as it's over,everyone says they'll never do another.....
And then a few years pass,the pain wears off,and suddenly it sounds like a good idea again....
So....rhyme or reason....not around here,pal....   big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

I really liked the 24. It's more race and less party than a "regular" Lemons weekend, but I had fun.

That guy

BigBird wrote:

As soon as it's over,everyone says they'll never do another.....
And then a few years pass,the pain wears off,and suddenly it sounds like a good idea again....

This is spot on for me.  Over the past 10 years I've done 6 of them, and swear each will be my last, but we're currently getting ready for CMP. wink

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

A lot of it has to do with zoning rules at various tracks. Some tracks you flat out could never have a true 24 because they're not allowed to run race motors after a certain hour at night, or before a certain hour on sunday.

And they're hell on the organizers, that's mostly the reason.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

DirtyDuc wrote:

I really liked the 24. It's more race and less party than a "regular" Lemons weekend, but I had fun.

I honestly think this is most of the reason they don't do too much. Lemons would be a completely different atmosphere if they were all true 24's. Leave that sort of thing to the RealRacers (TM).

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

Thanks for your answers. I figure they musta been a PITA otherwise they would all be full 24s, except for the whole zoning thing.

I still gotta try one

Once a year is my limit on 24's. It takes a while to forget how exhausted I was after the last one and convince myself that signing up for another is a good idea.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

I love me the 24's. I'd do them every race if they were an option.

Spank wrote:

What do you like about them? Extra seat time? Curious if I'm missing something fun/rewarding about them.

I used to be 100% against the idea of a race with no Saturday night drinking/wrenching party, but the idea of almost double the seat time pushed me to ~95% against the idea.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

TrenchFoot wrote:
Spank wrote:

What do you like about them? Extra seat time? Curious if I'm missing something fun/rewarding about them.

I used to be 100% against the idea of a race with no Saturday night drinking/wrenching party, but the idea of almost double the seat time pushed me to ~95% against the idea.

I have done three so far, one with Spank.  The first time I drove at night it was both exhilarating and terrifying.  Seeing the sun rise in the morning gives you a burst of energy.

Some teams keep the same amount of drivers and hopefully have more seat time, others race with 5 or 6 drivers.  I do miss the Saturday parties, but packing up at noon on Sunday and getting home at a reasonable hour is a nice trade off. 

You really have to experience one to know if it is for you.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

You really have to experience one to know if it is for you.

Dammit. I was afraid of that.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."

I for one not only swore them off forever but have begged partner teams to do one so I can bring a lawn chair, umbrella and cooler of beer.  I plan to yell "encouragement" while drinking.

Lots of folks love them but as car owner and one of the chief wrenches on my team...it was just misery.   Yeah, I missed the socialization as these races are the only  vacations I give myself.

Pick your battles.  Should you do one...likely.  Should you do one as car owner...hell no!  If you are on the fence and a car owner...run, do not walk away.

As a car owner, I've done two in six years of racing. That seems like a pretty good frequency to me. I'm open to doing another one in a couple years, but doing it as an A&D sounds slightly more appealing.