Re: Is winning an overall race with an EV vehicle even possible?

rmcdaniels wrote:

You can make it work for an autocross car or a Pike's Peak car, but if you have to carry enough energy for hours, then you need to carry a phenomenal amount of weight , enough that you will not be competitive. Alternately you can make a whole lot of pit stops, but then that E30 eats your lunch while you are swapping battery packs.

Swapping packs should be a whole load faster than glugging in gallons of gas through a standard filler pipe.

Tesla pickup racecar

Emyr wrote:
rmcdaniels wrote:

You can make it work for an autocross car or a Pike's Peak car, but if you have to carry enough energy for hours, then you need to carry a phenomenal amount of weight , enough that you will not be competitive. Alternately you can make a whole lot of pit stops, but then that E30 eats your lunch while you are swapping battery packs.

Swapping packs should be a whole load faster than glugging in gallons of gas through a standard filler pipe.

The people taking home the Class A nickels aren't feeding an OEM fuel tank with an OEM filler pipe.

They run Big Fuel cells and Dry break systems that cost more than their cage.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Even a Hunsaker jug and getting rid of the unleaded restrictor plate will get 5 gallons in there in a few seconds, and that's within the reach of anyone.

Also, your EV battery performance will be much worse than you think it will be when you use it for motorsports. I rode in a Tesla at a driving school today and when hooned enthusiastically the miles meter dropped precipitously.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

You mean “modifying the OEM fuel system” by removing part of the filler neck?

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Not "modifying", making it better.

Didn’t the Jet Electrica get to run during Jesus hour, while everyone else was parked? Pick a track with a quiet hour and you’re essentially spotted a 1hr head start...

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

We did run during quiet hour. We had to provide our own safety workers (thanks to all who volunteered), and give the track some time at the beginning and end of the hour to get the full-time safety workers off and on the track, so it worked out to about 40 minutes.

The Electrica is a beautiful/horrible exercise in determination and stupidity, but it also has 88HP. In it's current long-haul format, loaded down with thousands of pounds of BMW batteries and a few hundred pounds of generator, it is quite slow. We will rally it at the Kershaw-Key West event and probably race it at CMP again in the fall, but it will probably not be winning anything on laps. A Nissan Leaf has 147 HP and, while not exactly speedy, will kick the Electrica's ass. A Tesla has more than double that and is pretty quick/fast. To win overall, you will probably need a decent amount of power, especially if you carry enough energy for reasonable stint lengths. Even using much lighter energy (i.e. gasoline), I don't think that you can win overall with 88 HP.

34 (edited by n0m4d 2019-03-03 07:41 AM)

I spent some time running this thru some notepad calcs.  I have a good amount of knowledge about this, but also grabbed a ton of data by blindly googling.

The two limiting issues here is that you need the overall win and you much charge the batteries in the hotpit (assuming its a track where you fuel that way).

I don't think its even possible to win if you had a half million dollar budget (10x the prize).

A Tesla Model 3, which is arguably the most engineered ev being mass produced, can run about 3 laps around a track in "track mode".  But, I'm going to assume you can actually engineer a Lemons car that can run 45 mins at e30/e36 speeds (or our e12).  You have the issue of overcoming those long battery swaps twice as often as a ICE race car.  Then, say you are buying salvaged Teslas for the batteries/electronics.  According to a random google result "With a single onboard charger connected to a 240-volt outlet, as a Tesla can be setup, the pace can reach speeds up to 31 miles of range for each hour of charging, meaning a full charge takes less than 9.5 hours."  So you need let say 8 full Tesla battery packs per day and they all need be charging simultaneously to get thru a weekend.  One way to do this is to salvage Telsas that run 10k each, then you are up to $80k in batteries.  Then somehow you need to get 8x 240 connections in the hot pit to charge these 8 battery packs.  Rental generators will probably be an issue if they are in or near the hotpit.  So you'd probably need to cover the bill for the local utility to run the power and an electrician to install (assuming the track is OK with all this).  I don't even know what that would cost, but lets guess 10k. so the fueling alone has gotten us to 90k just for raw materials.  This is where my thought process starts to trail off to what it would take to build the car itself, plus the mechanisms to facilitate hot swap batteries.  You also wont be hauling this whole circus with a uhaul rental trailer behind a Silverado.

It's been fun as a thought exercise but as i go deep into the rabbit hole the logistics are mind boggling.

Here is the part where someone comes along and tears apart my analysis :-).

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

n0m4d wrote:

Here is the part where someone comes along and tears apart my analysis :-).

Well, okay, I'll raise one point:

The line "Recharging is done in the same area as refueling" appears in Jason Torchinsky's article but nothing like this is mentioned in the actual rules. I suspect it is a misunderstanding on his part, in that it would be a very bad idea from both a safety standpoint and a practicality standpoint to allow teams to take up space in the hot pits for several continuous hours, basically the entire race, with piles of batteries (so to speak) and charging equipment.

What may be the case is that battery swaps will be allowed in the hot pits, although even this raises awkward questions about bringing more equipment (carts? hoists? repurposed gurneys?) into that area to facilitate quick swaps of large battery packs. I guess batteries could be lifted over the wall and swapped individually, but now we're looking at very lengthy pit stops, again bad for safety and practicality, since one of the main points of having hot pits is that cars and people are not allowed to linger there.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Even in hot pit races you can refuel in the padock folks.

Also Torchinsky lifted that line from the official E-mail/press release (because internet blog “journalism”)

Lemons perhaps Forgot to revise that part of the rules, or just counts it as “fueling” and so is covered as the rules are written.

Guildenstern wrote:

At every hot pit race where I've been a competitor or a judge, there is no choice. All fueling must be in the hot pits unless the track has fuel pumps, in which case one may use the pumps. No fueling in the paddock during the race.

I've also been at races where fueling must be in the paddock (or at the pump) and the hot pits are NOT to be used. I've never been at a race where it's been left up to the teams to choose. Maybe it's different at other tracks.

I must have missed the press release, but I still don't see how recharging would work in the hot pits. Battery swapping, maybe, but not recharging.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I have built a couple electric cars, and one hybrid, and have a lot of parts and pieces and have been
looking for the right candidate/plan for an EV 'supercar'. 
I would not put my very expense and one-off engineering marvel onto a track
with a bunch of newbies in crapcans and within an organization defined by laziness and bribes.
Lemons is great, but completely wrong for EV racing.  Unless the point is to see how much you can cheat the rules, the 'spank loophole' is the way to do it.  Two cheap (prius-based) EVs that swap track time.

They have the Green Gran Prix,  http://www.greengrandprix.com/  people who don't make it a joke

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I would not put my very expense and one-off engineering marvel onto a track...

I've got the opposite problem: All of my EVs are definitely Lemons-quality (EV Global Motors Mini-E-Bike; Lyman Electric Quad; Sinclair Zeta I, II, & III; and Zap Xebra), but none of them would amount to anything more than pit vehicles or judgemobiles.

This is probably just as well, since it also keeps me out of Jay's new big-buck EV rally, assuming the route is meant to cover more than perhaps thirty miles per day.

mharrell wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

At every hot pit race where I've been a competitor or a judge, there is no choice. All fueling must be in the hot pits unless the track has fuel pumps, in which case one may use the pumps. No fueling in the paddock during the race.

I've also been at races where fueling must be in the paddock (or at the pump) and the hot pits are NOT to be used. I've never been at a race where it's been left up to the teams to choose. Maybe it's different at other tracks.

I must have missed the press release, but I still don't see how recharging would work in the hot pits. Battery swapping, maybe, but not recharging.

I want to say CMP, Autobahn, and NJMP we could do either, with hot pits mostly there for the folks with nickel fever. But I was A&D for those so I really wasn’t paying much attention. Everywhere else for me running team or A&D was either fuel at pumps or fuel in paddock, no hot pits.

Perhaps they imagine some super fast battery killing hypercharger sort of thing.  Otherwise I would assume replacement battery charging at paddock space. Cause you sure won’t be doing that at the pumps.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I have built a couple electric cars, and one hybrid, and have a lot of parts and pieces and have been
looking for the right candidate/plan for an EV 'supercar'. 
I would not put my very expense and one-off engineering marvel onto a track
people who don't make it a joke

Why not? That’s what the rest of us do every race with our “$500” cars. Never race anything you think is too “precious” be that in a “joke” series like Lemons or one of the many “real racing™️“ rules by committee club racing organizations.

Guildenstern wrote:
mharrell wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I want to say... Autobahn...we could do either, with hot pits mostly there for the folks with nickel fever.

Not Autobahn for sure...paddock fueling only.

43 (edited by gus 2019-03-03 04:35 PM)

(Moved from another thread since this one is more active).

I work in an area similar/adjacent to the EV industry and design battery management systems and motor controllers, so I was pretty interested to see this news come out. Sadly $50k isn't going to get you very far if you're designing much from scratch, especially given you'll probably need 3 or 4 race-ready packs per day, plus a few backups. A tesla model 3 has around 2000 18650 cells. At volume pricing the "good" 18650's are about $3 a cell if you have contacts, x6 packs and you're at about $40k just in cells. Then you have to set up a mini production line to assemble 12k cells into modules/packs.

My napkin math says that no teams are going to be designing and building their own packs, unless they plan on losing a lot more than a $50k investment. The ideal path is probably getting used EV battery modules from the junkyards and constructing your own pack lego-style, then getting a power-train from some written-off EV. The tricky technical part would be making everything talk together, and figuring out the fast pack swapping. Then there's all the diagnostics and telemetry you would want to go with it.

Building an overall winning EV really needs a decent sized constructor team who knows what they're doing, plus has the support (official or not) of a factory (tesla etc), or some rich benefactor who wants to advance crapcan EV racing and doesn't mind dropping $50k for some seat-time (not at the Lemons race though, since you want to win that race).

I think the interesting news here is that Lemons is going to be more open to batteries and EV tech in cars, not just stock prius'. This opens an interesting door for some crazy hybrid builds. There's a lot to be done, from just improving mpg to adding "push to pass" electric boost systems. I can definitely see a custom race hybrid winning overall before a full EV does.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I want to say... Autobahn...we could do either, with hot pits mostly there for the folks with nickel fever.

Not Autobahn for sure...paddock fueling only.

This was back in 2012. But I may be jumbling it with NJMP since autobahn is easily the most forgetable paddock.

gus wrote:

(Moved from another thread since this one is more active).

I work in an area similar/adjacent to the EV industry and design battery management systems and motor controllers, so I was pretty interested to see this news come out. Sadly $50k isn't going to get you very far if you're designing much from scratch, especially given you'll probably need 3 or 4 race-ready packs per day, plus a few backups. A tesla model 3 has around 2000 18650 cells. At volume pricing the "good" 18650's are about $3 a cell if you have contacts, x6 packs and you're at about $40k just in cells. Then you have to set up a mini production line to assemble 12k cells into modules/packs.

My napkin math says that no teams are going to be designing and building their own packs, unless they plan on losing a lot more than a $50k investment. The ideal path is probably getting used EV battery modules from the junkyards and constructing your own pack lego-style, then getting a power-train from some written-off EV. The tricky technical part would be making everything talk together, and figuring out the fast pack swapping. Then there's all the diagnostics and telemetry you would want to go with it.

Building an overall winning EV really needs a decent sized constructor team who knows what they're doing, plus has the support (official or not) of a factory (tesla etc), or some rich benefactor who wants to advance crapcan EV racing and doesn't mind dropping $50k for some seat-time (not at the Lemons race though, since you want to win that race).

I think the interesting news here is that Lemons is going to be more open to batteries and EV tech in cars, not just stock prius'. This opens an interesting door for some crazy hybrid builds. There's a lot to be done, from just improving mpg to adding "push to pass" electric boost systems. I can definitely see a custom race hybrid winning overall before a full EV does.

I have a feeling the “contact us before even building” may mean something. Don’t know what, but somebody put this prize up. I wonder just who why and how. With the amount that can be “exempt” my guess would be busted Tesla guts or total Doc Brown fabricobble from industrial auction level gear.

I suspect what they don’t want to see is piles of Lead Acid batteries sweating acid and farting out hydrogen gas all weekend.

What ever team does this is definately going to need a computer/drive system egghead to make any of this crap work togeather with any sembelence of efficiency.

46 (edited by TheEngineer 2019-03-03 08:19 PM)

Before you even think about the tech required, you need to look at what your race needs to look like to win. The races are starting to be really close at the pointy end of the field. Take a look at who's winning and how. They're running lap times that are for sure in the top quarter of the field or better, they're limiting their fuel stops to 2 or 3 tops. To win, you have to be doing that, plain and simple.

So you need a system that lets you get through the day with at most 3 stops. And those three stops need to be matching the perfect pit stop times others are doing. meaning whatever you're doing to "refuel" needs to take a couple minutes at most. Assuming that the caveats for this challenge are that the car needs to be 100% EV and not some hybrid gas generator backed electric drive compromise, you're backed into battery pack swaps. Which honestly is the easy part. You can design a pallet system that rolls in/out to blind mate connectors with guide rails and fast latches/pins for securing in place. Again, that's the easy part (and the part I'd have the most fun designing).

The energy density problem is what makes this very unlikely to be completed anytime soon. Is there any battery pack out there right now that can let you run a-class speeds for 2 hours? Is there one that can do 1 hour? Until you can find a solution that gives you that 2 hour stint time with super fast swap times, it's not going to happen.

It would be interesting to start playing the maximizing game on all the ways you can cram power into the car. how much does real regen braking add? Is it even worth considering lining the car with solar panels to try and add that extra 10 minutes of range from a bright cloudless day? (I suspect it is not). Can you bribe a fluid dynamics engineer to help you build a hyper mile style car with as little drag as possible? Would it be worth running a two car team and designing the aero on each in such a way that the EV slip stream drafts the other car the entire race. Do you have enough drivers skilled enough to even think about doing that? because getting two cars to tail each other at race winning speeds the whole weekend sounds impossible.

I really don't think winning with an all-EV car is physically possible right now, and I think HQ agrees. but they're throwing the carrot out there to get people thinking and trying (with the HUGE caveat that not all are trusted to try, you must work with them through the whole process to ensure safety).

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Thanks for articulately stating most of what I thought; this is a brain teaser, not a way to win lots of money racing Lemons. I think 2 hour stints are actually a conservative estimate; even our huge MB can make three hours between fuel stops. The overall winner at Inde was a BMW. It was the only 4 cyl BMW in the race. Driver talent is huge on that team, but the fuel efficiency helps... want to win in an EV? Got to get through four fast drivers in a 1.9 liter EFI car to get there.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

48 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-03-03 09:51 PM)

If the EV slipstream drafts then you risk ending up in second if your draft driver forgets and gets nickel fever.

But seriously, the head in the clouds designing is the only fun part. Actually trying to compete with class A is a drag. Just like it is in a regular IC car.

I went through the back of the napkin math using existing, easily obtained first gen Leaf technology with a group from the Midwest and my own car co-owner.  IF you could get a perfect race at Gingerman and could get the existing Leaf platform to perform at the 1:54/lap range you would have to have four stock battery pack on board (at 800#'s each) you need to swap all 4 twice on Saturday and once on Sunday.  Now with an extra 2400# on board you have negated the ability to run a 1:54 lap let alone a few hundred.  The math gets better with Tesla batteries but the issue is the same.

I love a challenging task but not an impossible one.  Getting the electrical supply to charge the (swapable) battery packs is easy.  The Quick-change battery method is fully within the ability of many teams fabrication.  The triangle of weight-range-performance...there is not trade-off between the three that creates a magic bullet.

Type44 wrote:

Thanks for articulately stating most of what I thought; this is a brain teaser, not a way to win lots of money racing Lemons. I think 2 hour stints are actually a conservative estimate; even our huge MB can make three hours between fuel stops. The overall winner at Inde was a BMW. It was the only 4 cyl BMW in the race. Driver talent is huge on that team, but the fuel efficiency helps... want to win in an EV? Got to get through four fast drivers in a 1.9 liter EFI car to get there.

I picked the 2 hour number because that's a decent estimate you'll need for a 7.5hour day with 4 drivers. You're each out there for 1.8ish hours and you need a little bit extra in the pack in case track conditions push someone's stint long for whatever reason.

But yes, I agree that driver skill matters a lot in this equation too. You need a group of drivers that's already used to running at the pointy end of the field.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice