101 (edited by rmcdaniels 2019-03-07 07:17 PM)

Re: Is winning an overall race with an EV vehicle even possible?

Guildenstern wrote:

Hey I was there.......But in a Sebring so not really racing.

Were you in the silver one or the red one? I got black flagged for passing the silver one under yellow. I got so used to just going around the Sebrings like they were some kind of weird track feature that I rolled right by one under yellow without thinking about it. After I got flagged I realized that the Sebrings were technically race cars driving on track with me.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

RobL wrote:

I downloaded Rust in the Wind's times for you.  This is their winning run at NJMP in 2018. 

Use this race and not Thompson.  I can tell you that this race was all done under green flag and in the dry.  This team is very consistent and they come into the pits almost exactly every 50 laps for fuel.  It looks like they make 7 stops (and either a BF or broken car at lap 326) all weekend and their average stop is in the 3:00-3:30 times (which includes either their slower out lap or slower in lap depending on where they cross the timing loop in pit lane). 

http://gofile.me/6ulKe/xbC2QOht7

I didn't use that data you provided but I did pull that data from Speedhive myself.  I pulled it for Rust in the Wind and Scooby Doobies who won overall.  Rust in the Wind had 53 min of laps over 210 seconds,  Scooby Doobies had 33 minutes. 

Below is a link to my calculator, if you dont have the newest version of excel a few of the formulas will break but it is not a big deal. 

Link to Spreadsheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fnh0C8 … sp=sharing

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

rmcdaniels wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Hey I was there.......But in a Sebring so not really racing.

Were you in the silver one or the red one? I got black flagged for passing the silver one under yellow. I got so used to just going around the Sebrings like they were some kind of weird track feature that I rolled right by one under yellow without thinking about it. After I got flagged I realized that the Sebrings were technically race cars driving on track with me.

Silver one with NSF. Yea they were more chicane than car.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Where does it say you must change drivers to refuel?
I have also said cheating is the only way to win, and note very well, that Jay himself has said winning at racing is all about cheating,  so whatever the rules say..

If you look beyond technical/mechanical issues, there is also bribing the judge to give all the OTHER
class A cars big penalty laps.  If he doesn't want to play along, there are certain motivations available,
remember the Russians have infiltrated Lemons racing... lol

TheEngineer wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Using a big heavy battery would work to beat Class C, not class A.
To win Class A, you use a very small battery pack and swap/recharge very frequently,
an EV can be very light and very fast for a short time.

I think this is the problem that makes winning so damn hard. You can't stop that many times and keep a lead, unless your pace is significantly faster than everyone else. Assuming the rules are the same for an EV where you must get out of the car to "refuel", there is a minimum pit time you will bump into just for strapping a driver in safely. Figure that with pit lane speeds and swap time, and driver change time you're loosing at least 2 minutes per stop, at most tracks that means you loose a lap every stop that you then have to chase back.

so is it a million nickels or a million dollars in nickels??

Just a Noob trying to take the long approach to doing it right.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I have also said cheating is the only way to win, and note very well, that Jay himself has said winning at racing is all about cheating,  so whatever the rules say..

If you look beyond technical/mechanical issues, there is also bribing the judge to give all the OTHER
class A cars big penalty laps.  If he doesn't want to play along, there are certain motivations available,
remember the Russians have infiltrated Lemons racing... lol

TheEngineer wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Using a big heavy battery would work to beat Class C, not class A.
To win Class A, you use a very small battery pack and swap/recharge very frequently,
an EV can be very light and very fast for a short time.

I think this is the problem that makes winning so damn hard. You can't stop that many times and keep a lead, unless your pace is significantly faster than everyone else. Assuming the rules are the same for an EV where you must get out of the car to "refuel", there is a minimum pit time you will bump into just for strapping a driver in safely. Figure that with pit lane speeds and swap time, and driver change time you're loosing at least 2 minutes per stop, at most tracks that means you loose a lap every stop that you then have to chase back.

so what about a charge car? Ya know have a few "charge cars" that go out on occassion and recharge the car as it goes around the track? Kinda like in flight refueling?

Just a Noob trying to take the long approach to doing it right.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

You don't have to "change" drivers but you do have to get the driver out of the car before fueling and install either the same or a different driver afterwards, so time for this must be included regardless of whether a change occurs:

3.C.1 ...During fueling, the kill switch must be off; no one can be in the car...

Of course, 3.C.1 also says that fueling "must be done from handheld DOT-, SCCA-, or FIA-approved 5-gallon or smaller jugs or from the track’s permanent pumps" which would make EVs pretty tricky to recharge if we're assuming that recharging must follow all of the refueling rules. I suppose a team could tap into a track's pump's electrical system when nobody is looking, but that won't work at tracks without pumps...

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Hell technically 3.C.1 makes using a Hunsacker bottle questionable. I can't find anywhere where those are DOT, FIA, or SCCA approved.Certainly not on hunsacker's website.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

109 (edited by RobL 2019-03-08 07:20 AM)

mully006 wrote:
RobL wrote:

I downloaded Rust in the Wind's times for you.  This is their winning run at NJMP in 2018. 

Use this race and not Thompson.  I can tell you that this race was all done under green flag and in the dry.  This team is very consistent and they come into the pits almost exactly every 50 laps for fuel.  It looks like they make 7 stops (and either a BF or broken car at lap 326) all weekend and their average stop is in the 3:00-3:30 times (which includes either their slower out lap or slower in lap depending on where they cross the timing loop in pit lane). 

I didn't use that data you provided but I did pull that data from Speedhive myself.  I pulled it for Rust in the Wind and Scooby Doobies who won overall.  Rust in the Wind had 53 min of laps over 210 seconds,  Scooby Doobies had 33 minutes. 

Below is a link to my calculator, if you dont have the newest version of excel a few of the formulas will break but it is not a big deal. 

Link to Spreadsheet

I'm not going to try and figure out that spreadsheet.  You are trying to do with a formula what needs to be done with intelligence because that formula is picking up false positives.  How does it tell the difference between a pit stop, black flag, or mechanical problem?  The information that you are ultimately looking for is "How long does it take a top team to fuel and change drivers?" and "How many times a race does that happen?"

The short answer to the first question is between 3 and 4 minutes.  Can we agree on that? 

The second question is the one that your spreadsheet is coming up with false positives.  You can not go strictly on a time trigger.  You have to look at the lap times and find a pattern - IE, the team pits every 90-120 minutes for fuel.  Then you need to exclude data that does not fit that pattern.

Looking at your spreadsheet, I see that RITW stopped in lap 32 for 7 minutes.  I suspect the refueling happened at lap 32 so they can go ~30 laps before needing fuel.  I also see a 12 minute stop at lap 150.  That is not a refueling stop and needs to be excluded - was it?  I don't know what it is but it is outside a maximum pit stop time where the car only needed fuel and a new driver.  If it was included, then your times are at least 11 minutes off for that team for that race.  Or maybe it was a fuel/driver stop and then they had to come in for a BF. 

But, like I said before, the winning teams are coming in 3 times a day for fuel and stopping for 3-4 minutes.  That equates to 10-20 minutes in the pits per race, not 30-40.  That's why I suggested using the RITW and the NJMP race.  The data is very clear for that race win.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

110 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2019-03-08 07:50 AM)

Pit stops for us are 2:20-2:40 (from time car stops to time car moves).    We do NOT have a dry break setup.   Could be 20 seconds faster if we had that.

We usually pit 6 times per weekend to keep our driver stints equal for all four drivers.

Stint length can vary depending on Lemons race schedule.

The fastest lap is less important than the average lap.  The average lap is dependent upon weather, how many cars are on the track and strategy (pushing or cruising).  Not settling on when to make your next pass is very important to average lap times.   We make about 3000 passes per weekend.

I don’t think an electric vehicle will ever win a Lemons race.  Even a corporate backed team with huge resources wouldn’t be able to do it.  There are limits to how fast you can lap in Lemons quality traffic with street tires.  It isn’t fast enough to make up for all the pit stops an EV would require.

EDIT: to pile on... we have room to push our stint length

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Convince them to let you install a very tall pole in the paddock and attach another very tall pole on the car. Run a very long wire between the two poles and transmit electrical power directly to the car while its on the track. That is how the electric cable cars work why not electric cable race car?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

112 (edited by chaase 2019-03-08 01:34 PM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Pit stops for us are 2:20-2:40 (from time car stops to time car moves).    We do NOT have a dry break setup.   Could be 20 seconds faster if we had that.

We usually pit 6 times per weekend to keep our driver stints equal for all four drivers.

Stint length can vary depending on Lemons race schedule.

The fastest lap is less important than the average lap.  The average lap is dependent upon weather, how many cars are on the track and strategy (pushing or cruising).  Not settling on when to make your next pass is very important to average lap times.   We make about 3000 passes per weekend.

I don’t think an electric vehicle will ever win a Lemons race.  Even a corporate backed team with huge resources wouldn’t be able to do it.  There are limits to how fast you can lap in Lemons quality traffic with street tires.  It isn’t fast enough to make up for all the pit stops an EV would require.

We won't know until someone is willing to spend $$$$. The "simplest" way to see what could be done is for Tesla to show up with a fully stripped and prepped model 3 or roadster with the biggest battery pack they can install and see what happens. They would need to bring one of their battery swap setups, it can change batteries < 2min, with a few batteries and see what happens.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

RobL wrote:
mully006 wrote:
RobL wrote:

Link to Spreadsheet

I'm not going to try and figure out that spreadsheet.  You are trying to do with a formula what needs to be done with intelligence because that formula is picking up false positives.  How does it tell the difference between a pit stop, black flag, or mechanical problem?  The information that you are ultimately looking for is "How long does it take a top team to fuel and change drivers?" and "How many times a race does that happen?"

The short answer to the first question is between 3 and 4 minutes.  Can we agree on that? 

The second question is the one that your spreadsheet is coming up with false positives.  You can not go strictly on a time trigger.  You have to look at the lap times and find a pattern - IE, the team pits every 90-120 minutes for fuel.  Then you need to exclude data that does not fit that pattern.

Looking at your spreadsheet, I see that RITW stopped in lap 32 for 7 minutes.  I suspect the refueling happened at lap 32 so they can go ~30 laps before needing fuel.  I also see a 12 minute stop at lap 150.  That is not a refueling stop and needs to be excluded - was it?  I don't know what it is but it is outside a maximum pit stop time where the car only needed fuel and a new driver.  If it was included, then your times are at least 11 minutes off for that team for that race.  Or maybe it was a fuel/driver stop and then they had to come in for a BF. 

But, like I said before, the winning teams are coming in 3 times a day for fuel and stopping for 3-4 minutes.  That equates to 10-20 minutes in the pits per race, not 30-40.  That's why I suggested using the RITW and the NJMP race.  The data is very clear for that race win.

My spreadsheet is not perfect and I would like to add some logic to it but what your are talking about is hard to do. If you play with the cutoff time you can manipulate it so the 12min stop will not be counted in the pitstop. I started tracking breakdowns when laps were over 15min.

From looking at scooby doobies data from their win I agree that I might have been a bit optimistic, they had around 30 min on pitstop and bumper lap.

I'll I really take from this sheet is that to run in the top ten you need to have less than 30 min not turning laps, that's all really. The newances will vary depending on team, track and pace.

I'll add the NJMP data when I get home tonight.

Look at our Barber win data and it will blow up your spreadsheet. 

5 lap penalty

10 mins off track for 1 black flag

13 mins off track for two bent rims

5 pit stops

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Look at our Barber win data and it will blow up your spreadsheet. 

5 lap penalty

10 mins off track for 1 black flag

13 mins off track for two bent rims

5 pit stops

This is kinda proving my point,  assuming your pits were 2min that means you had around 33min off tack and still came back 5 laps.  Which is what I am assuming.  That will get you in the top ten, run enough races in the top ten and you'll get the overall eventually.

All the spreadsheet shows is roughly how much time cars are spending at race pace, under yellow, in the pits or broken down.

Ahhh.  Gotcha.   Yeah.   That makes sense.

I added the Rust in the Wind - NJMP data to my spreadsheet and I get ~36min for pitstops and the bumper lap with a total of 7 laps.  I agree that at NJMP that would mean around 15 min of pitstop time.

That data is in the same link as before.

For people talking about the Tesla 2-min battery swap setup. It required a pit under the car with an elevator in it. They have more recently patented a system that doesn't have to be installed in-ground, but it requires a vehicle lift to raise the car off of the battery pack and it takes longer than 2 minutes. there is no way that setup is going in a hot-pit space.

We were working on a system using wheeled carts with roller-conveyor tops, but Jay would not allow us to have the carts in the hot pits, so we ended up with the crane/pallet system that we used at CMP. Pit stops were still under 10 minutes, which was pretty good considering what we were working with, but you aren't going to swap the battery pack out of a Tesla in any reasonable amount of time.

We have kicked around an S-10/Ranger based EV so we could carry a lot of batteries, and if Jay will allow a wheeled battery cart in the hot pit, then it's easy enough to rig up a hot-swap system that would only take a few minutes, but that still doesn't get around the fundamental power/weight math of winning a Lemons race in an EV. We could make it go very fast, but probably not for a very long time.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

rmcdaniels wrote:

For people talking about the Tesla 2-min battery swap setup. It required a pit under the car with an elevator in it. They have more recently patented a system that doesn't have to be installed in-ground, but it requires a vehicle lift to raise the car off of the battery pack and it takes longer than 2 minutes. there is no way that setup is going in a hot-pit space.

We were working on a system using wheeled carts with roller-conveyor tops, but Jay would not allow us to have the carts in the hot pits, so we ended up with the crane/pallet system that we used at CMP. Pit stops were still under 10 minutes, which was pretty good considering what we were working with, but you aren't going to swap the battery pack out of a Tesla in any reasonable amount of time.

We have kicked around an S-10/Ranger based EV so we could carry a lot of batteries, and if Jay will allow a wheeled battery cart in the hot pit, then it's easy enough to rig up a hot-swap system that would only take a few minutes, but that still doesn't get around the fundamental power/weight math of winning a Lemons race in an EV. We could make it go very fast, but probably not for a very long time.

I am not familiar with the Tesla battery swap system but I agree that it will in no way be fast enough.

It's a shame that Jay nixed your carts and in the hot pits. I think that is a must to even have a chance at being competitive. Just driving to your paddock would take too long. Maybe they could be convinced if you could show it was safe, fast and didn't require a lot of wrenching or anything. I think that might have been why they said to talk to them before even starting.

I suspect that since they now have the EV challenge in the books, they'd be willing to discuss hot pit swaps if you had a good plan in place for how it would work, safety, etc. But as they say, you must work with them as you develop.

rmcdaniels is right though, there is still the weight issue. Weight is the enemy of endurance wins. More weight means more stored energy needed to maintain the same stints, which means more weight in batteries. Weight also means the motors work harder, which means more heat. It's harder than just calculating total pit stop times and assuming you can make up X number of laps.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I suspect that since they now have the EV challenge in the books, they'd be willing to discuss hot pit swaps if you had a good plan in place for how it would work, safety, etc. But as they say, you must work with them as you develop.

I'm all for giving Roger and the Duff guys a break, but if they are allowed to swap a huge battery pack in the hot pits and I'm not even can't even clean my windshield, yeah, I wouldn't be too happy about that.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I'm all for giving Roger and the Duff guys a break, but if they are allowed to swap a huge battery pack in the hot pits and I'm not even can't even clean my windshield, yeah, I wouldn't be too happy about that.

Why? The hot pits are for refueling. swapping batteries would be refueling. I agree that someone trying to pull 3 dozen standard lead acids out and replacing one by one would be annoying and dangerous. But a properly designed pack, that could be slid out on a cart, and replaced in a time similar to refueling a gas car? Why would it matter if you could haul everything off the hot pits with you when done?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Interesting conversation at Sonoma last weekend.  There are several Lemons people known to be working in the EV industry.  Not one has contacted Jay or Pagel to discuss EV details but a ton of other people have.  I think that's kind of telling how difficult this challenge would be.  I kind of suspect that this may turn out to be the automotive equivalent on that cheese rolling contest.  https://youtu.be/gNj67kwWBoQ

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

It is essentially impossible to win without cheating, and no EV company wants to be associated with cheating, and the $50k prize is insignificant to a real business/corporation.

If you look at the Automotive X-prize, it was $1 million dollars and no automotive company bothered,
just a bunch of independents, and the major winner got $2 million?  and spent $5 million,
or something like that I can't remember exactly.  And unfortunately, it changed nothing in the industry.

Nimble Motorsports will cheat all day for $50k   lol 

Now if there is real interest in actual EV racing, you would make them short races,
is there real interest in that?  Or just the $50k?

I remember in drag racing there was a lot of $100k winner races, where lots of cheating going on,
and it got old very fast.

btw, great video, wtf was that?

My intent was to point out that current Lemons competitors whose day job happens to be in the EV industry have shown little interest in this challenge.  I don't figure any EV manufacturer will have an interest either.

The video is from this event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27 … g_and_Wake

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)