Topic: Weather conditions

What weather conditions will cause the race to be cancelled?

Re: Weather conditions

LirpaStClair wrote:

A hurricane will cause it to be cancelled. Lightning in the area will cause the cars to be pulled from the track. My guess is a snow storm/blizzard would also have the same effect but not sure that has happened. In general, the weather needs to be severe.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Snowed hard enough to close the freeway 20 miles from the track. In southern AZ.

Granted, this was on the Friday of the race weekend, but they didn't cancel that one. SNow and ice at trackside when the green flew Sat, after the coldest camping night of my life yikes

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

There were also one or two white out Gingermans back a few years.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

If the question is really how much of the car bad weather functions should be preserved then the answer is all of them. Eventually you will need wipers, defroster, heater and you will be grateful for having headlights and taillights. The race will stop to protect the corner workers, wreckers and track crews. At Atlanta in 2017 the start was delayed until the track crew could verify that ice had melted off the track surface. But once we started racing you didn't want to get far off line because of the ice forming on the edges of the water running across the track. At Charlotte, Sebring and this last Atlanta race there were periods of rain and other car spray that limited visibility to a couple car lengths. I was thankful for cars with front and rear lights in those races.

LirpaStClair wrote:

Worse than this: https://youtu.be/UlVQ4B8xORI?t=35

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

moparfan wrote:

If the question is really how much of the car bad weather functions should be preserved then the answer is all of them. Eventually you will need wipers, defroster, heater and you will be grateful for having headlights and taillights.

I consider those two so essential I would even leave the wiper stalk and center dash if at all possible in your car to guarantee they still work.

If you have to lose the defroster, buy the clearview grid defroster system and install it after the cage is done.

RobL wrote:
LirpaStClair wrote:

That was a very, very wet race.  The small lake at the pit exit was easily 2 to 3 inches deep at times. 

I still managed to enjoy myself out there for the most part.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

RobL wrote:
LirpaStClair wrote:

Oh man that race was just so much damn fun. Our radio channel was full of drivers complaining about how terrible it was and why were they even doing this, and I would just laugh each time I lapped them. We love the rain, bring on more rain. CT last year on sunday was equally enjoyable for similar reasons.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

10 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2019-03-05 07:42 AM)

I have raced in Thunderstorms with no visible lightning, sleet, snow, and fog. 

The only times we haven’t raced in Lemons was due to lightning and when it was sleeting/snowing at dusk at Gingerman and the corner workers couldn’t see the cars, and we couldn’t see the flag stands.

The snow we had at VIR with WRL was really magnificent.  Track was just wet somehow, but it was snowing like crazy and there was 6 inches of snow on the ground.   I know Lemons raced in similar conditions at Atlanta.

So... plan to race... even when it looks like there is no way you should be racing.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.