Topic: Anybody ever ran a car with driver in the middle?

I've seen some RHD cars, but never a driver sitting in the middle.

Wondering about all kinds of things from escape routes to steering rack choices to cage design.

K Car Stalker

Re: Anybody ever ran a car with driver in the middle?

Pretty sure a couple of the Volkswagen van variants have done center drive.

Copied from a best of Lemons cars write up:    Formed by moderators from a Toyota MR2 forum, the Mod Squad team have been around Lemons since nearly the beginning with an ever-crumbling series of first- and second-generationToyota MR2s. However, they also brought Lemons’ first third-generation MR2 Spyder and unlike most car clubs that bring “their” car to Lemons, Mod Squad had no intention of retaining their Spyder’s agility. Instead, they bought an MR2 that had been wrapped around light pole, straightened it, and then shrouded it in a boxy Volkswagen Vanagon body painted in apropros Magnum P.I. T.C. Island Hopper paint scheme. It sure looks odd with the driver sitting essentially in the middle of the Vanagon, but the effect just adds to the Vanagon’s palpable effluence.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

I believe there was a team from Texas who ran a Mid seated Mitsubishi Mirage some years ago. Also I know Spank's Moke is a mid seater  and I think the rotoray powered Porsche 914 thing that races in the PNW is as well.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Spanks Moke has the seat in the middle.  Middle left and right as well as front and back.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

There have been a few, it takes extra effort to do it. 

In theory it is better, but in practice?

As I am a more in-theory guy, I am bulding my next one center driver, it should take less weight
for a narrower cage, and centers the weight.  When you have a very light drivetrain, the driver weight
takes on more significance.  Now what might be even more clever is to adjust the driver position
depending on the track, some have more left or right turns.

The porsche 914 steering rack is center steer.  The race car one$ are available too.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Now what might be even more clever is to adjust the driver position depending on the track...

That's already been done, more or less:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=15523

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Now what might be even more clever is to adjust the driver position depending on the track...

That's already been done, more or less:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=15523

Which allows this model of efficiency to take place.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItKS0nD-hU

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)