Topic: Sunroof Rule Clarification??

3.J.6 No Open Sunroofs. All sunroof openings must be covered by either the original sunroof panel; a new panel securely fixed into place; or securely fixed mesh with openings no larger than 1/2-inch each. Glass T-tops or moonroof must be replaced with sturdy non-breakable material, or all drivers must wear arm restraints.

So everyone I talked to says sunroofs aren't required if you wear arm restraints but the way I'm intepreting this rule is that no matter what my sunroof must be covered and only T-Tops and Convertibles are exempt (which doesn't make sense).

So what's the story

Re: Sunroof Rule Clarification??

The way I've seen it implemented. If you have glass of any kind, it comes out. You must then either cover it up, or wear arm restraints. T-tops it's common to just run with arm restraints because it's harder to fill in the space. However closing off the opening is always the preferred solution. Sunroofs are almost always asked to be covered.

If your OEM was a solid panel you need to find a way to secure it in place, meaning remove the slider mechanism and permanently close the hold with the OEM panel or something else that meets the rules. Example, the E36 had a metal panel, so that can be welded into place to close the opening off.

The intent is to keep your arms from flying through the roof in a roll over.

Our Saab had a glass sunroof, we removed the whole thing and attached a piece of thin sheet metal over the opening. Our E36 had a metal panel, so it's welded in place now and sealed up with silicone.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

3 (edited by VKZ24 2019-03-25 12:01 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Our Saab had a glass sunroof, we removed the whole thing and attached a piece of thin sheet metal over the opening. Our E36 had a metal panel, so it's welded in place now and sealed up with silicone.

Our Integra had a glass sunroof so we removed it and covered the opening with an old *road sign, which is held in place with rivets and sealed with silicone as well.

*Disclaimer: We didn't steal the road sign.  One of our teammates works for a construction company, and it was being discarded.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The OEM sunroof on our car is solid metal (no glass). We left the panel and all its internal mechanisms and weatherstripping in place and ran 2 metal straps across the top of the sunroof (front to back) and riveted the straps into the  sunroof and also into the roof of the car (in front of and behind the sunroof). Its not going anywhere and we have never been questioned about it after 10 Lemons tech inspections.

Arm restraints are required if you have any kind of opening in your roof (removed sunroof, open T-top or convertible). Not sure what distinction they are trying to make between sunroofs and moonroofs.

What do you have in your car that is causing you to ask this question?

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

technically if the panel is metal or something else opaque, it's a sunroof. If it's glass or see through, it's a moon roof. Most people don't care to distinguish between the two terms, but it makes sense with how the rule is worded. Glass t-tops and moonroofs need to be replaced, because glass. Sunroofs need to be replaced or permanently affixed.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

What do you have in your car that is causing you to ask this question?

Nothing really, we removed our sunroof entirely and it's a big gaping hole now. Haven't covered it up yet because I didn't think we had to since we are planning on running arm restraints anyways.

7 (edited by gus 2019-03-25 09:54 PM)

HareBear wrote:

Nothing really, we removed our sunroof entirely and it's a big gaping hole now. Haven't covered it up yet because I didn't think we had to since we are planning on running arm restraints anyways.

If you're planning on running at any tracks where it can rain I recommend covering it up with something water tight. Wet drivers are unhappy drivers!

Perfect opportunity to install a helmet bar to raise the plane of the top of the cage for helmet clearance. Single cage bar, front to back about middle of cage with a single upward bend of about 15 to 20 degrees with the peak at a point that is about parallel to the top of the drivers helmet. The bar bend will stick up into the opening of the sunroof / moonroof. Then cover the hole with sheet metal.

My teammate riveted part of a Boxster rear engine cover over the sunroof opening in our Spirit AMX (because we’re fancy). It had a bow in it that forms a perfect air scoop of ~1” in the middle. If it rains we’ll maybe tape it shut but the airflow is great when the car is actually running.

Low Road Racing:  Stylemaster/Mustang II/Sunbird/Spirit AMX

We will not compromise our morals and build anything but a class C car.
"You take the high road, we'll take the low."