Topic: Car Weight Thread

I am trying to get a sense for that different car weights are out there and I could not find any continent data.  I though that I would make a form to collect some. 

I you have had your car on scales i would appreciate it if you could fill out the form below.  Not looking for estimates. 

Weights Form
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp … sp=sf_link

Results
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: Car Weight Thread

It won't let me enter the weight - it turns red and says "I don't believe you"

Sylphy wrote:

Sorry I set the rule up wrong,  I was trying to stop people entering weights under 1000 lb, ended up blocking over 1000 lb.  should be fixed now.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

mully006 wrote:
Sylphy wrote:

Sorry I set the rule up wrong,  I was trying to stop people entering weights under 1000 lb, ended up blocking over 1000 lb.  should be fixed now.

Thanks, submitted!

Put our saab in. Measured at NH saturday night with a mostly empty fuel cell and no driver. I'm sure it's changed a little as we add/remove stuff. At the time of measuring the AC system was still installed, we've since removed it. Full dash is still there, with navigation and stereo, for humor reasons.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Done!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Posted, but didn't see a category for "Gutted, but stupid stuff added"

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

I added my recent weight pre-rollcage, since it was surprisingly a lot lighter than anticipated, but it'll update it once it's ready for racing.

For the record: 2000 BMW 528i (E39) with an LS swap came in at precisely 3016 lbs.

The Pentastar whisperer

Where/how do you weigh your car?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

There's a few ways.
1. find a friend with car scales and give them beer
2. some tracks have a scale, especially ones that host large events like nascar (but they don't always let you use them)
3. If your local town dump has a scale for measuring how much crap you're bringing in you can go through with the empty trailer, then with the car loaded, and do math (call them and ask first, try not to do it on the busy saturday morning).

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

There's a few ways.
2. some tracks have a scale, especially ones that host large events like nascar (but they don't always let you use them)
3. If your local town dump has a scale for measuring how much crap you're bringing in you can go through with the empty trailer, then with the car loaded, and do math (call them and ask first, try not to do it on the busy saturday morning).

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a track on the west coast that has a scale for use?  Buttonwillow, Sonoma, Thunderhill?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Might want to add a "fuel load" field. My entry includes about 100lbs of fuel.

Electric Mayhem Racing

Did the Audi TT  AWD with 22 gal fuel cell driver full of fuel 2950 still need to pull 300LB out of some where!!

14 (edited by BogusSVO 2019-04-04 02:24 PM)

rb92673 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

There's a few ways.

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a track on the west coast that has a scale for use?  Buttonwillow, Sonoma, Thunderhill?

Where I am, the local scrap yards charge $10 and will give you up to 3 weights. I commonly find the center point of the wheel base and mark it.  So when i pull on the scale, Ill put the mark in the gap of the scale to get my front weight, then pull on fully and get over all weight, then when getting of the scale, put the mark in the gap again, and get the rear weight.  I have done a few cars this way, and the most I have been off when adding the front and rear then looking at the over all is 40lbs

Also, check your local truck stops, they will weigh you for a fee

It doesn't matter where the center of your wheelbase is relative to the scale gap, as long as one axle set of is fully on and the other off.  And as long as the scale isn't binding.

Your better off putting the weighed axel as close to the middle of the scale.

Unless you actually rest the whole car on its frame for some kind of unsprung weight distribution or something. Then do the middle of the wheel base thing.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

https://i.imgflip.com/2xvojy.jpg

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner