Topic: School me on CMP!

Hey guys, we’re going to be making our way down to CMP from Michigan for the 24 hour in a few weeks. We like to over complicate and over analyze things, so have some questions about how things are typically done at CMP.

Now first of all, I know anything said here is the not official answer or procedure, and I know HQ could change the way things are done. What I’m looking for is how Lemons usually does things at CMP and how it’s been done in the past. Unless of course somebody from HQ wants to chime in and give a more official answer.

1)    I’ve looked at some maps of the paddock and nowhere does it say where the electrical hookup spots for RV/travel trailers are, or how many there are. Can someone describe where they are or mark it on a map, and also answer roughly how many there are? We should be rolling into the track around 6:00 pm Thursday, so do you think there will be any spots left?

2)    Hot Pits! I’ve read some old posts that sounds like they do Hot Pit’s at CMP. Has this been the case at the last few races? I know they’ll describe it at the drivers meeting, but we’re curious about what is allowed on pit lane. Can we check tire pressure, or is it strictly fuel and driver swap only? Is there any lighting down there or should we plan on relying on head lamps or something? This will be our first race doing Hot Pits.

3)    What’s the fuel availability look like around CMP at 3:00 am? It looks like there is a little gas station right outside the gate. I can’t imagine that place is open 24 hours, or is it? Is there anything in Kershaw that is open 24 hours, or will we need to plan on buying fuel from the track in the wee hours of the morning?

Any other input or tips on CMP or 24 hour races is appreciated!

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

Re: School me on CMP!

Fuel and driver only on hot pit.

There are 5-6 30A outlets scattered randomly around the property and all will probably be taken by Thursday afternoon. There are a bunch of 15A outlets scattered randomly, and they are not wired correctly, and some of them don't work, and if you pop a breaker then you have to go find track personnel to go to where the breakers are (not at the outlets) and unlock that place and reset the breaker.

I'm pretty sure the convenience store at the track is closed at 0300, but not sure about the one in Kershaw.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

3 (edited by VKZ24 2019-04-05 12:17 PM)

ballstene wrote:

Hot Pits! I’ve read some old posts that sounds like they do Hot Pit’s at CMP. Has this been the case at the last few races? I know they’ll describe it at the drivers meeting, but we’re curious about what is allowed on pit lane. Can we check tire pressure, or is it strictly fuel and driver swap only? Is there any lighting down there or should we plan on relying on head lamps or something? This will be our first race doing Hot Pits.

Fuel, driver change, and adding ice to the cooler are the ONLY things allowed on the hot pit.  Lights?  This will be CMPs first night race, and to be able to police fueling on the hot pits, I have it on good authority that there will be lights on the hot pits.

ballstene wrote:

What’s the fuel availability look like around CMP at 3:00 am? It looks like there is a little gas station right outside the gate. I can’t imagine that place is open 24 hours, or is it? Is there anything in Kershaw that is open 24 hours, or will we need to plan on buying fuel from the track in the wee hours of the morning?

Just my opinion, but that station outside the track won't get a dime from my team.  First off, they jack up the prices when they know there is a race in town.  Second, they have been reported for mislabeling 87 octane as 93 in the past.  Now I think they offer 87 and 92, but not 93.  FYI, the track has pumps, but the price is steep.

My team uses the Shell station in nearby Kershaw.  This will be everyone's first 24 hour race at CMP, so I have no idea if that station has 24/7 access, so plan accordingly.

ballstene wrote:

Any other input or tips on CMP or 24 hour races is appreciated!

CMP is known to all of us to run there often as the "Cheese Grater" because it's surface is hell on tires.  Most especially if you have a FWD car, count on the LF getting corded in 8 hours unless you run 800 TWR tires, or you drive like a grandma.

CMP is also hell on brakes, but since we have discovered the joys of the Raybestos ST-43s, that's no longer been an issue for us.

The track is lots of fun, no real dangerous spots or hard things to hit.  Don't try to take the Kink flat-out unless you're in a car that can't break 100 MPH.   The bathrooms are ...ummm...less than clean, but better than a port-a-potty I guess.  After you've been to Barber, every other facilities bathrooms just pale in comparison.

As far as a 24 hour race, they are all brutal unless you're still in your 20s and actually LIKE to stay up all night.  Since you are from MI, keep in mind the SC weather is quite a bit different.  It's likely to be hot and HUMID, so if you don't have a cool suit setup in your car...GET ONE!

Get the best lights you can afford for your car.  Stock headlights won't cut it unless you're in a slow Class C car. You will easily "out run your lights" in a Class A car unless you upgrade.  Those LED light bars you see on Amazon and Ebay are meant for slower off-road vehicles, not high-speed night racing.  They typically flood a bright light for a short distance and blind everyone else.  Don't get those.  Properly aimed lights with a focused beam are much better.

If you have any more questions, just shoot me an email to vkeenez24 at gmail dot com and I'll be happy to help.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Don't forget about the fire ants....   NEVER forget about the fire ants.

The concession stand has changed hands several times over the years and the current (last season) operators left a lot to desire.  Food is not plentiful or close to the track, plan accordingly.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

5 (edited by VKZ24 2019-04-05 11:06 AM)

soldmystang wrote:

Don't forget about the fire ants....   NEVER forget about the fire ants.

The concession stand has changed hands several times over the years and the current (last season) operators left a lot to desire.  Food is not plentiful or close to the track, plan accordingly.

Good points.

I've only had issues with the fire ants ONCE, and that's because you learn to avoid them bastards after a single encounter.

I forgot about the food thing because we usually send someone into Kershaw to the Subway or Bojangles for food.  The food at the track ins't bad, but they are sloooow, and never seem to have enough help.  It also doesn't help that the sheer number of people at a Lemons race is at least triple what they usually see.

One other note regarding food.  If you have time for a sit down meal (you can get to-go food too) there is and excellent BBQ place just a mile down the road from the track called Russell's.  When you exit the track hang a left, and it's down about a mile down on the right.  Everything is good!

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

One other note regarding food.  If you have time for a sit down meal (you can get to-go food too) there is and excellent BBQ place just a mile down the road from the track called Russell's.  When you exit the track hang a left, and it's down about a mile down on the right.  Everything is good!

I will strongly second this. Our team has made a tradition of eating at Russel’s whenever we go to CMP. We’ve ordered nearly everything on the menu between us and it was all amazing.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

Only one 50A power service available at the track. It's for the concession stand only. I found this out needing to use my welder. I could not. The 30amp spots go fast, within the first few hours of the track opening. They usually say they open at a certain time, like 5 pm, but usually its more like 1 pm, so get there early and wait until they open. Cell phone service is total shit. Total cluster fuck trying to get ahold of your teammates when they arrive, or when they run out for fuel or parts. Rent a garage paddock. They go fast. You don't want to work in the sand and fire ants or in the rain, especially in the dark of a 24 hr race. The whole track just sucks for location and track condition but it can be lots of fun if you do it right and plan accordingly.

Four Stripes, Corolla Extra Motorsports
'83 Toyota Corolla #5
Winner, Class C, Yokohama Good Try, Road Atlanta 2018

I believe you can fuel at the gas pumps at the track without using their pumps. I believe other then the hot pits this is the only other place on the track that you can do that. Your guys would will still need to be dressed out just like if you were on pit road and follow all of the safety protocol. IE helmets on, fire extinguisher guy, no driver in the car. They used to let you fuel in the garage but did away with that a few years back so don't try it. Check with the higher ups before doing this though just to be sure. Also it is known to rain in April so be ready with rain gear. CMP is known to eat canopies like jelly beans i believe because the ground is very sandy and the spikes don't hold. Bring weights to hold down the EZ Up's.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Also Friday night will be the big party night, if you look on this thread you will see a sign up for the potluck if you are interested.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

I believe you can fuel at the gas pumps at the track without using their pumps.

I know I've heard Jay tell people not to do this before. They might not be watching the pumps closely, but if they catch you you'll probably get yelled at.

On the cell service question, I've always had decent service at CMP with Verizon. Being able to make calls at tracks like CMP and HPR is one of the very few benefits I've found to paying those jerks so much money for so much less data.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I've always had decent service at CMP with Verizon. Being able to make calls at tracks like CMP and HPR is one of the very few benefits I've found to paying those jerks so much money for so much less data.

Very true, and this is why Verizon doesn't offer all the free stuff like the other carriers.  They have the best coverage in local rural areas  _period_, and they charge for it.  I have Verizon also and have excellent coverage at CMP.

Captain

Another note, there is supposed to be a headlight aiming time on friday from 8-10 check with the track for that and while you have them on the phone there is also a Turn one track day there on friday of which they have a 20 minute session every hour for Lemons teams.  To register for that contact the track :
NEW GROUP for Turn One Days!!!!!  LUMP CARS!!!  Nontraditional cars - cars that run with Lemons or ChumpCar are welcome to run in this group.  You must have a Lemons License or a ChumpCar License to run – Documentation Required.  Please use the SOLO/SUPER SOLO registration form.
If you have questions regarding  Turn One Track Days, please contact Sylvia@carolinamotorsportspark.com or call 803-475-5006.

SpaceFrank wrote:
steve wrote:

I know I've heard Jay tell people not to do this before. They might not be watching the pumps closely, but if they catch you you'll probably get yelled at.

This is definitely not allowed.  They started enforcing it properly a year or so back.  Doing any fueling at the track pumps other than fueling FROM the track pumps is a fueling violation.  You'll get yelled at and parked for a while.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

solman244 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:
steve wrote:

This is definitely not allowed.  They started enforcing it properly a year or so back.  Doing any fueling at the track pumps other than fueling FROM the track pumps is a fueling violation.  You'll get yelled at and parked for a while.

Good to know, thats why I mentioned to check with the powers that be before doing anything like that. They mentioned at our last race at CMP that we could could fuel at our paddock spot if everybody was dressed out but this was during Sundays break only. Unfortunately one of crew members got the info wrong and said we didn't need to be dressed out and that ended up costing us dearly since we were leading Class B by 4 laps on Sunday. When they started the race we lost three laps from them black flagging us to come in and "talk" to them so they could show us the error of our ways . We ultimately finished in 3rd since our car was not as fast as the 1st or 2nd place car so they passed us on the track sad

There are no fueling loopholes at tracks with hot-pit-only fueling. You can fuel at the track pumps only from the pumps, not from your own jugs or the Esso 1964 gas-station pump you have installed in the bed of your hooptie tow rig. I don't know why, but we get more teams thinking they can fuel from their own jugs at the CMP pumps than at any other track. Don't die! We really want you to not die in flames.

16 (edited by 96Formula6spd 2019-04-10 07:45 PM)

Heads up for fuel. Gas station outside only has 87/89/90 and is expensive. The pumps in Kershaw close from 10pm-5am. Will have to go to Camden to the BP that is 24 hours. It will be an hour run to make a round trip. We are bringing two 55 gallon jugs with us and filling them with gas and pulling that into our 5 gallon fill jugs.

For Cell Service T-Mobile has 4 bars of 4g Lte everywhere. Verizon used to be good but has fallen off to spotty at best. At&t is ok but not great either. 

Bring some fire ant killer. Can find the mounds and sprinkle it on. Were not bad a couple weeks ago but now the rain has got the mounds up. If you find some you can ask CMP to do it but easier to have your own. 

Its a hot pit style. So fuel, driver change and cool shirt on pit road. No air pressure adjustments, no checking oil (which sucks having to make a special trip to the pits to do). That or you can use the Cmp pumps like a gas pump not your own jugs.

Herd from a source that pit road will be lit up. There might be some worker stations lit up as well.

CMP is hard on tires. Good news is we will have a tire machine with us. $10 to mount of flip a tire. $5 to balance. There was another thread that I posted in. You take you junk tires with you.

96Formula6spd wrote:

The pumps in Kershaw close from 10pm-5am.

Have you called to confirm that?  The Shell near the Bojangles is listed as being open until midnight in google maps.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

18 (edited by VKZ24 2019-04-11 01:25 PM)

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:
96Formula6spd wrote:

The pumps in Kershaw close from 10pm-5am.

Have you called to confirm that?  The Shell near the Bojangles is listed as being open until midnight in google maps.

I called and the girl told me the pumps are closed from 12:00am to 6:00am.  That still leaves 6 hours.  Looks like we'll be headed into Camden.

Captain

Hrm conflicting news as buddy stopped in while up there for work and they said they were closed 10pm-5am. This was the shell over next to the subway about two months ago. Now hours on the google say 12am-6am is closed. Either way plan ahead for the night time.

I'll second the good lights recommendation. Having a good set of high quality pencil-beam spotlights to show you what's ahead and a good bright floodlight to illuminate the corners makes a huge difference.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Thanks for the info everyone. We'll make sure to grab some fire ant killer!

From Judge Phil's comment it sounds like this will be hot pit only fueling, so we'll plan accordingly.

We contemplated bringing a fuel drum, and the hand pumps rated for gasoline are a bit on the expensive side. I don't want to chance busting into flames with some cheap pump. We should have 50 gallons worth of 5 gallon cans on hand, so hopefully that will get us through the night.

Good info on the practice day too. I'm glad to hear there is a Lemons only group.

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

22 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-04-16 03:28 AM)

ballstene wrote:

Thanks for the info everyone. We'll make sure to grab some fire ant killer!
We contemplated bringing a fuel drum, and the hand pumps rated for gasoline are a bit on the expensive side. I don't want to chance busting into flames with some cheap pump. We should have 50 gallons worth of 5 gallon cans on hand, so hopefully that will get us through the night.

Everyone was skeptical even though we saw another team using it...but this has been amazing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AP … &psc=1

edit: I added a universal dishwasher discharge hose, cut to length, so I can fuel standing on the ground instead of in the bed of the truck.