1 (edited by zillamania 2019-04-10 08:57 AM)

Topic: Sequential transmission

Has anyone converted a 5 or 6 speed H gearbox to sequential?
Bremer Shifters ran into issues which would have been my go to solution

(Save the that's going to cost a lot of money or really not practical but if you insist on flaming me do so with a blowtorch)

Re: Sequential transmission

zillamania wrote:

...but if you insist on flaming me do so with a blowtorch...

Real Racecars™ have either a manual column shifter or a Lenco.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

you could argue that it fits under "driver controls and comfort" so is budget exempt.

Installing a shifter that tries to actuate a normal H pattern like a sequential I'm sure would go over well because honestly how well could that actually work? There's no way it ever breaks middle of the day...

Installing a true sequential might get you some laps.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I know people have shown up with Crazy engines before, but has anyone come with a Straight Cut Dogbox or any other crazy racing transmission yet?

Or for that matter has Lemons seen a DSG yet of any kind?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

The IROC Maiden Camaro ran a dog box.

The AmpuTeam Mk5 GTI is entirely the right age to be a DSG, but I didn't look close enough to count the pedals sat time I was near it in the paddock.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

If only there were some people in the Lemons organization who like, went to school or made their living on being interested in things, finding things out about those things, then writing about those things to share with the rest of us.

But that's just crazy talk right? Journals are for bearings right?

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Any of the sportbike powered cards (MetroGnome, etc) would have a sequential transmission by default.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

How about a true sequential. Anyone tried that to have better comfort.

You know Jay can still claim cars for $500 right? How willing are you to donate to the "Jay buys expensive race car parts for $500" fund?

Guildenstern wrote:

You know Jay can still claim cars for $500 right? How willing are you to donate to the "Jay buys expensive race car parts for $500" fund?

you know that he hella won't though right? If he never did collect on that racing V8, he's not taking your fancy ass transmission.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I dono, it’s a lot lighter than an engine. Especially if it’s at a Sonoma race. And it would be funny for the race recap.

A sequential shifter conversion can be surprisingly easy, depending on the layout of the gearbox. You'd need a pair of tight-fitting pipes that go one over the other, a pattern cut into the outside pipe, sufficient space inside, and a way to secure the resulting shifter drum in place while letting it rotate. Then you add a ratcheting mechanism, and you have a sequential shifter. That's how they're done in motorcycles, a rather simple mechanism IMO.

K Car Stalker

You could always throw in a Hurst bump shifter?? Then it would feel like it was a sequential without all the expense.  smile

Just a Noob trying to take the long approach to doing it right.

Have you looked at MME Motorsports?  It'll cost 5x the price of the car, but i've seen some good reviews for them. mme-motorsport.com/en/products/h-paddle-shifter

But would they take this fancy dogbox trans if I can one?

jethrojet wrote:

You could always throw in a Hurst bump shifter?? Then it would feel like it was a sequential without all the expense.  smile

You mean the old school Vert-i-gate? Those were kick but at the drag strip...

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

zillamania wrote:

Would the organizers claim it? Well, technically that's a possibility, but given their extensive record of non-claims and their stated desire to avoid if at all possible ending up with other people's car crap to add to their own car crap, no, I don't think they'd claim it.

The judges would probably laugh and/or shake their heads that someone would bring a fancy dogbox transmission to a Lemons race, but that's about it. Besides, the judges can't claim a car anyway, only the organizers.

On the other hand, the phrase "fancy dogbox" does suggest that you'd be the object of universal acclaim if you make your transmission cover look like this:

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/796451/24007468/1386164270550/luxury-leather-carrier.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
zillamania wrote:

Would the organizers claim it? Well, technically that's a possibility, but given their extensive record of non-claims and their stated desire to avoid if at all possible ending up with other people's car crap to add to their own car crap, no, I don't think they'd claim it.

The judges would probably laugh and/or shake their heads that someone would bring a fancy dogbox transmission to a Lemons race, but that's about it. Besides, the judges can't claim a car anyway, only the organizers.

On the other hand, the phrase "fancy dogbox" does suggest that you'd be the object of universal acclaim if you make your transmission cover look like this:

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/796451/24007468/1386164270550/luxury-leather-carrier.jpg

Theme suggestion:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Legally_Blonde_2_film_poster.png