Topic: PittRace after thoughts

This was not our finest race. We spent Friday chasing electrical gremlins after the car went into limp mode the first time I gave it an boost on the opening test lap. It threw every single code in the book. Turns out we popped an intercooler hose. Saturday the car ran great. We popped one more intercooler hose and had to be pushed in, but otherwise the car was solid. It's a rocket on the straights, we just need to get it to go around a corner a little better for a 3400lb big car.

End of saturday it was making some bad noises as I brought it in. I think we destroyed a lifter finally based on the sound and location. We also lost an exhaust stud and blew out a bunch of the manifold gasket creating a huge leak. Since no one carries that gasket we called it quits not wanting to run with that leak in the engine bay, and not wanting to destroy the motor.

I was a little apprehensive about the track going in, they seemed to not fully grasp what was descending on them. There was a lot of rules about where the trailers could and couldn't go, and where you could keep RVs, and everything else. But my fears were unwarranted i think, the weekend went nice and smooth. the track people were friendly and seemed to be in good moods.

My only complaint was the flaggers. They were decent enough with getting the yellows out, even if I did once or twice happen upon a stopped car in the grass before any kind of flag was out. But they seemed to be ignoring anyone passing under yellow. I had a couple go by me on my stint, my sister said a group of 5 passed her on hers, I watched a miata blatantly pass under yellow coming onto the front straight. I'm not convinced many got called on it. We also never got any official flags for our offs. My brother went 4 off on turn 3, I put two off on the back section, and while we both self reported, no official flags ever came into the judges.

The track itself was a lot of fun. Scary as hell in a couple places, but fun. Turn 16 is a hero corner. We were able to top out 4th gear a decent distance before that turn, so we'd either have to go to 5th, or coast to it and slow enough that you could go back on the power through that corner. The first lap I got to do it at speed was nuts, and then trying to get the car straight in time to brake for that last turn was interesting. I know I was leaving a lot of time on the table, so I'm excited to go back and try again. I know our car has a sub 2:20 in it. I just need to be braver everywhere. I was over braking in a lot of places.

Overall good weekend even if we didn't run on sunday.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: PittRace after thoughts

The track was lots of fun and a lot of work...
I likened it to a roller coaster and can't wait for next year there

MBTL Racing

I also saw people passing under yellow

MBTL Racing

I definitely agree with you on the passing under yellow, all of my drivers reported similar especially sunday.

Capt. Zero Energy Racing
Somewhat quick and moderately angsty.

zer0 wrote:

I definitely agree with you on the passing under yellow, all of my drivers reported similar especially sunday.

I saw someone get flagged for passing under yellow, well I assume that is the reason they got flagged.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

6 (edited by chaase 2019-04-16 05:57 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

The track itself was a lot of fun. Scary as hell in a couple places, but fun. Turn 16 is a hero corner. We were able to top out 4th gear a decent distance before that turn, so we'd either have to go to 5th, or coast to it and slow enough that you could go back on the power through that corner. The first lap I got to do it at speed was nuts, and then trying to get the car straight in time to brake for that last turn was interesting. I know I was leaving a lot of time on the table, so I'm excited to go back and try again. I know our car has a sub 2:20 in it. I just need to be braver everywhere. I was over braking in a lot of places.

I think a lot of people bailed out on Sunday. It was cold, rainy and windows were fogging up left and right.  Our Saturn was on track all day. The Javelin was on and off until the weather cleared. Once the weather cleared it was game on again for the Javelin.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

We were so sad not to run in the rain. We LOVE the rain in the saab, it's such a beast in the wet. Electric defrost, OEM blower motor, and full wipers, we never have visibility issues.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

chaase wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I think a lot of people bailed out on Sunday. It was cold, rainy and windows were fogging up left and right.  Our Saturn was on track all day. The Javelin was on and off until the weather cleared. Once the weather cleared it was game on again for the Javelin.

If I'd known you guys in the Javelin were from the Island I would have brought over some beers...I'm from Islip and used to work at Syosset Trucks...

MBTL Racing

Yeah, I couldn't believe how many cars I saw get passed under yellow, and even happened to myself...Everyone on the team loved the track, and  for the most part we had a great time. we installed an electric defroster over the winter after barely seeing in CT last season.  We bailed early on sunday when our wheel bearings went, and destroyed our spindle...We worked out quite a few bugs and were happy with that.

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

10 (edited by chaase 2019-04-16 07:26 AM)

Ratdoggy wrote:
chaase wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

If I'd known you guys in the Javelin were from the Island I would have brought over some beers...I'm from Islip and used to work at Syosset Trucks...

Always nice to see some fellow islanders. I am the only one on the island, the car lives upstate. The Ford Ranger team is on Long Island as well. The same with the Alfa team that provides the pasta dinner most Saturday nights. There is also one other team on the Island as well and I always forget the name.

stano316 wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't believe how many cars I saw get passed under yellow, and even happened to myself...Everyone on the team loved the track, and  for the most part we had a great time. we installed an electric defroster over the winter after barely seeing in CT last season.  We bailed early on sunday when our wheel bearings went, and destroyed our spindle...We worked out quite a few bugs and were happy with that.

You guys made great progress on that car over the years. We're planning on doing the defroster as well.

Our team really enjoyed the track.

Good-Fast interesting track with blind turns and elevation changes
          Facilities were newish and in good shape
          Track staff was friendly and helpful

Bad-multiple times during FC yellow some flaggers didn't display the yellow
        Event center showers need shower curtains and hot water.
        No local places stocked performance tires 

Meh-Passing under yellow happened but I didn't find anyone seeming to take advantage of this.  Seemed like honest driver mistakes.
        Track is very abrasive. (make sure you have plenty of rubber available)

We'll definitely be back.  Loved the track once we "figured" it out.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:

Ladies room?  Both the men's had an inside curtain that separated the shower and changing area and an outside curtain that blocked the changing area.  There was plenty of hot water after racing on Saturday.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
squidrope wrote:

Ladies room?  Both the men's had an inside curtain that separated the shower and changing area and an outside curtain that blocked the changing area.  There was plenty of hot water after racing on Saturday.

You're talking about the main garage showers.  They worked fine.  The showers by the garages on the hill had no curtains or hot water. :costanza: The water was cold!

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

15 (edited by Brett85p 2019-04-16 03:24 PM)

Apocalyptic racing had a blast, fun track great facilities and a good finish.
Some how I ended up being the "lucky" driver who had first practice Friday afternoon in the rain and then Sunday morning 9-12:30 so I had the privilege of only driving in the wet. It took some time to learn the track but even with having to wipe the windshield 2 times each lap with he trusty rag on a stick I was comfortable after an hour. I could not believe the amount of grip in the wet after racing on midwest tracks in similar conditions. Many times I had the fronts locked up and thought for sure I was going to blow the corner and just let off and turned and the car just gripped. It took a while to get comfortable but I laid way off the the breaking except for ends of the long straights.
The kink in the back straight was super sketchy in the heavy rain with the car aquaplaning half a car width across the track but it was predictable at least.

It was a lot of fun sharing the garage with the 3PM crew and meeting a bunch of East Coast teams.

We will be back for sure and have some improvements to make for visibility for the next wet race.

It was fun racing with you all, I say zero asshattery on Sunday and plenty of point-bys and attribute being run off track a couple of times to poor suckers with the same amount of visibility as I had doing their best in the conditions.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

16 (edited by chaase 2019-04-16 03:48 PM)

Brett85p wrote:

We will be back for sure and have some improvements to make for visibility for the next wet race.

It was fun racing with you all, I say zero asshattery on Sunday and plenty of point-bys and attribute being run off track a couple of times to poor suckers with the same amount of visibility as I had doing their best in the conditions.

I think LeMon's should've mandated defrosters before fire suppression systems. A lot of people were running around barely able to see. We pulled the Javelin off the track because the drivers couldn't see anything

In the penalty box I had the sense that PUY must be getting under-reported, unless somehow the narrow track and flagger locations made everyone much better wishful logic something something gazpacho.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Me and Jesse Cortez had quite a lot of fun racing the 808 I mean 806 Chevy S10 in its first non-west-coast event in 10 years of Lemons racing. The track and facilities are fantastic. The driving wasn't super-douchey. PUY was definitely under-reported. Saturday was as beautiful a day as one could ask for in that area of the country this time of year. When we heard the rain hit the toterhome at 5:30 AM on Sunday, we decided we weren't of the mind to screw with it and then have an 8 hour pull home. So we just went with the 8 hour pull and bounced out.

Me and Jesse Cortez had quite a lot of fun racing the 808 I mean 806 Chevy S10 in its first non-west-coast event in 10 years of Lemons racing. The track and facilities are fantastic. The driving wasn't super-douchey. PUY was definitely under-reported. Saturday was as beautiful a day as one could ask for in that area of the country this time of year. When we heard the rain hit the toterhome at 5:30 AM on Sunday, we decided we weren't of the mind to screw with it and then have an 8 hour pull home. So we just went with the 8 hour pull and bounced out.

chaase wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

I think LeMon's should've mandated defrosters before fire suppression systems. A lot of people were running around barely able to see. We pulled the Javelin off the track because the drivers couldn't see anything

I agree, it seems to rain at least one day every race...

1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 High Output
Organizers Choice Award Thompson Motor Speedway 2017
Class C Winners NHMS 2018
Hit'em With the Hein

What a great weekend, even if the Monza was running like shiite for 1/2 of it.
Saturday at lunch a new distributor was delivered & installed. It went from backfiring and falling on it's face to being a point & hang-on weapon. But then a bob weight musta come off the FW, because it developed a hard engine vibration at the end of saturday. We checked it over saturday evening, replace 2 bad tires, snugged a loose wheel bearing, tightened a loose pinion yoke, etc.  Vibration remained so we babied it around in the rain Sunday AM, hoping to maintain position, but around noon the terrible vibration broke the input of the tranny, game over.

I saw some PUY, but never anything intentional. It seems like I saw a lot of local yellow, and FCY and even Black all. Quite busy flagging in general, but the douchebaggery quotient was low. Felt closer to Gingerman than NJMP.
Then I got BF-ed for PUY late saturday. So I know they were catching some people for it. Of course, IDK where I did a PUY, so maybe they were just making it up.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  <--- me, just happy I'm racing.

Thanks to all the merrymakers for friday night potluck, saturday BBQ and racecar prom dancing. My wife enjoyed that aspect of it, which makes it much easier for me to go to the track for a long weekend.

Loved the track & the facility. I hope 24HL can do 2 events per year there, instead of GM or Joliet. Not just because it's a short drive, but it is a nice place to race & hang out.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

out of over 500 pictures, 46 came out not totally garbage. Feel free to use any if you want them. Be warned my lens was dirty because i'm a camera noob.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCX8EsJ

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

We had possibly our best race thus far at Pitt with the newly branded Hooptober, at one point holding a short lived 2nd in B Sunday mid day

I liked the track much more than I thought I would, especially once I figured out just how fast you can go through a few of the sweepers without losing speed. The blind crests were a little nerve-racking at first but once you figured them out it didn't seem to slow many down and the wet track grip was excellent.

The only complaint I had is just echoing a few others about the flagging and the off track retrieval.....it just didn't seem as well organized or they just didn't prepare for the scale off off-roading we bring, so it ended up slow and more of an annoyance than normal (aside from the cars who refused to go more than 35 at full course yellow collecting the entire field behind them...).  At the end of the race Sunday I was perplexed by yellow coming out on the last corner and trucks goming out 5 minutes before the end of the race...

Flagging aside looking forward to next year!

Loved the race, the track, and most of the drivers (there's always one).  The relatively low car count for the track length was appreciated for sure.  However, the full course yellows seemed excessive.   

PUY was a frequent occurrence, but I did see some flags going out for it.  Honestly, I prefer flag stands giving a little leeway on that to prevent the dreaded slamming on the brakes in front of you.

Showers on the hill certainly could have used a curtain. 

Overall, it was well done and we will be back next year.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Don’t count on low car count next year. I suspect word will get around how fun this track is.

Also it will probably be on the schedule from day one as opposed to being an add on.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport