Topic: Rain tires?

Are race rain tires allowed?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

Re: Rain tires?

squidrope wrote:

Are race rain tires allowed?

Unless they are DOT tires with the tread wear rating, I would say no. We ran regular all season tires on the Saturn and it really helped.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

You can do whatever you want if they're DOT with the right treadwear. But honestly the tires you're using should be ok. We use the Falken 615K+ tires, and I really like them in the rain. They're a great all weather option for what we do. But sure you could have a set of wet weather tires if you wanted to. Continental Extreme contact DWs are great in the rain, but not great in the dry for what we do.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

RE-71r's are wonderful in the rain.

5 (edited by squidrope 2019-04-16 02:33 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

You can do whatever you want if they're DOT with the right treadwear. But honestly the tires you're using should be ok. We use the Falken 615K+ tires, and I really like them in the rain. They're a great all weather option for what we do. But sure you could have a set of wet weather tires if you wanted to. Continental Extreme contact DWs are great in the rain, but not great in the dry for what we do.

I was curious why Jay said the Mome team didn't need the tires they worked all night for due to it raining Sunday at Pitt?

ETA-some of the cars were absolutely flying in the rain

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

There were a handful of cars with street or rain tires on Sunday they were the ones making the rest of us look like we were in a parade. I want to buy a set now!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

TheEngineer wrote:

Some of the most satisfying driving I've ever done is in the Falken 615K (not the plus) in the rain. I had a set of fresh Direzza DZ102s in the paddock, but gentle inputs with the Falkens worked. Some say the best thing for the rain is the softest thing you can get away with that has some tread. Has me wondering about winter tires for October in NH (not that it's likely that I'll have the funds to race this year....again).

fiasco wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Some of the most satisfying driving I've ever done is in the Falken 615K (not the plus) in the rain. I had a set of fresh Direzza DZ102s in the paddock, but gentle inputs with the Falkens worked. Some say the best thing for the rain is the softest thing you can get away with that has some tread. Has me wondering about winter tires for October in NH (not that it's likely that I'll have the funds to race this year....again).

most winter tires i know of have no utqg treadwear rating on them

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

Brett85p wrote:

There were a handful of cars with street or rain tires on Sunday they were the ones making the rest of us look like we were in a parade. I want to buy a set now!

I'm willing to bet that was more driver than tire. In the monsoon of NJ a couple years ago, the Porsche 924 that was absolutely flying was still on their normal tires. At CT last year when it was dumping rain all sunday, I was out on our normal falkens and I have never passed so many people in my life. Speed in the rain comes from driver control and knowing your car. (and keeping teams with leaky cars off the damn track. looking at you pinto....)

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

10 (edited by RobL 2019-04-17 05:13 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

I'm willing to bet that was more driver than tire. In the monsoon of NJ a couple years ago, the Porsche 924 that was absolutely flying was still on their normal tires.

No they weren't.  And yes, driving in the rain (and negotiating traffic) is a skill like any other. 

They ran the same tires that we used in Pitt for the rain that made everyone look like they were standing still.  We bought them for RA '18 when we heard that the weekend was going to be wet and if we weren't going to have fun in paddock, we were certainly going to have fun on the track.  But here is a lap of Pitt in the rain: https://youtu.be/cS59i579S-U

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

I'm willing to bet that was more driver than tire. In the monsoon of NJ a couple years ago, the Porsche 924 that was absolutely flying was still on their normal tires.

No they weren't.  And yes, driving in the rain (and negotiating traffic) is a skill like any other. 

They ran the same tires that we used in Pitt for the rain that made everyone look like they were standing still.  We bought them for RA '18 when we heard that the weekend was going to be wet and if we weren't going to have fun in paddock, we were certainly going to have fun on the track.  But here is a lap of Pitt in the rain: https://youtu.be/cS59i579S-U

Apologies if my memory was wrong. I thought they were on normal stuff. But would you care to share what tires you're talking about?

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

rain tires

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6e3fd8dc258a9fa1dc80f08be32178e0/tenor.gif?itemid=12907121

I meant which actual tires, brand? model? We've been happy enough with the falkens in the rain so I've never looked into real rain tires.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

I meant which actual tires, brand? model? We've been happy enough with the falkens in the rain so I've never looked into real rain tires.

I knew what you were asking. 

Let me ask a question back - At what point do you think it's appropriate to keep performance secrets?  During my stint, I was told that I was gaining 15 seconds a lap on the class leader.  That's an advantage of 12 laps over a 2 hour stint on track (I think I gained 7 laps back and led class for a lap or two before pitting).

Continental Extreme Contact have become popular for rain races in the midwest.

Brett85p wrote:

Continental Extreme Contact have become popular for rain races in the midwest.

Quiet you

Douglas xtrack II FTW!

Oh you're just talking extreme contacts? Here I thought you had some super secret option. Those contis are nice in the rain.

I'll stick with the falkens because the extreme contacts are horrendous on our car in the dry, we're just too heavy for them. A day like sunday we'd have to come in once the rain stopped and change out, which would negate whatever leads we'd built.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

19 (edited by Brett85p 2019-04-17 08:58 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Oh you're just talking extreme contacts? Here I thought you had some super secret option. Those contis are nice in the rain.

I'll stick with the falkens because the extreme contacts are horrendous on our car in the dry, we're just too heavy for them. A day like sunday we'd have to come in once the rain stopped and change out, which would negate whatever leads we'd built.

I was wondering about that as the sun came out Sunday, we will stick with the the R-4S and work on better visibility. Once we can see better than we have grip may reconsider rain tires.

Any idea how well this keep? Knowing my luck I will buy a set and get a year of dry races.

Brett85p wrote:

I was wondering about that as the sun came out Sunday, we will stick with the the R-4S and work on better visibility. Once we can see better than we have grip may reconsider rain tires.

So that electric grid defroster I strongly suggested did not work?

Westlakes: only the finest in bottom shelf rubber brought the Pinto through the rain Sunday.

Liha zakonnykh ukrayinskykh biznesmeniv.
Ford Pinto Wagon 1972 roku – heroyichne vypravlennya, Memorial Toni Svona 2019 roku
Subaru Outback Sport 2007 - rehionalna premiya, NHMS 2020 - OnlyLamms.com
"My vzyaly zelenyy i kartatyy, ale vse mizh tsym bulo dosyt skhematychno."

RobL wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

The Nankang SP-7 has become popular for rain races in the midwest.

Quiet you

Fixed it for him.

The Pentastar whisperer

RobL wrote:

Let me ask a question back - At what point do you think it's appropriate to keep performance secrets?

Probably somewhere well north of winning $400 in nickels for a race that costs $1500 just in entry fees.;)

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Bayley wrote:
RobL wrote:
Brett85p wrote:

The Nankang SP-7 has become popular for rain races in the midwest.

Quiet you

Fixed it for him.

we have some Nankang NobleSports (never mounted) for the Dustbuster.  The boast "Taiwan Design".

Brett85p wrote:

Knowing my luck I will buy a set and get a year of dry races.

If that would ensure dry races, put me down for 5 sets.  I hate me some damn rain/cold.  The last two races at Road Atlanta were beyond miserable.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!