Topic: Newbie from Missouri with a PT Cruiser....

Hello:

My name is Steve, and I'm a Hooptie Addict.  I've also had the "bug" to go Lemons racing for a few years, but have been occupied with other somewhat janky racing projects....

My "other" race car is a 1984 Dodge Rampage which has been built to the rules of SCTA / BNI for land speed racing at Bonneville.  We hold a record in a 1.5L diesel truck class there.  I don't mention that to brag, but only to offer some "evidence" that I'm capable of following a rulebook and passing tech inspection.

I recently acquired a free 2005 PT Cruiser (Naturally Aspirated, 5 speed). I've fixed enough things to get the car up and running without spending very much. A few of my land-speed-racing friends and I are now starting to research and noodle what it would take to get the team up and running.

On the surface, it looks like we can build the car to the rulebook with the skill set that our team members possess, but we still haven't made the firm commitment.

Anyway - thanks for taking the time to read my introductory post, and as this process unfolds, I will be sure to stay active on the forum. 
With land speed racing, I found the forum interactions to be one of the most valuable sources of information and advice.

Thank you sincerely,

Steve Menendez.
Festus, MO.

Re: Newbie from Missouri with a PT Cruiser....

I haven't owned one but it seems like the Neon platform has been pretty reliable in Lemons.  While some will try to steer you towards racing a 1929 Hupmobile or something, you'll have fun with the PT plus seems like there should be themes o'plenty with one of those.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I haven't owned one but it seems like the Neon platform has been pretty reliable in Lemons.  While some will try to steer you towards racing a 1929 Hupmobile or something, you'll have fun with the PT plus seems like there should be themes o'plenty with one of those.

I always like the idea of the TP Cruiser. Mummify one in toilet paper and dress like Beavis and Butthead...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

I always like the idea of the TP Cruiser. Mummify one in toilet paper and dress like Beavis and Butthead...

I approve of this message

https://youtu.be/Hbw8UMcqUJ4

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Hello fellow lsr guys!

I run a motorcycle, but I've seen your truck in line.

Welcome to a new set of madness.

That guy

I'm in Chesterfield MO been doing this for 7 years now.

If you want to connect to talk rules etc let me know, my car lives in my home garage and you are welcome to come and check it out and see what a legal Lemons car loos like.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Brett85p wrote:

I'm in Chesterfield MO been doing this for 7 years now.

If you want to connect to talk rules etc let me know, my car lives in my home garage and you are welcome to come and check it out and see what a legal Lemons car loos like.

Excellent!  Thank you for the offer. I will definitely take you up on that.  I’m headed out of town for a week, but will touch base when I get back.

I’ll offer the same - feel free to visit my home garage with a legal land speed racing vehicle if you are interested.

Steve

PS - I have seen pics of the Toyoet... nice work!

Be ready to swap wheel bearings. They're always a failure point on neons, and the PT has more weight on them.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

Be ready to swap wheel bearings. They're always a failure point on neons, and the PT has more weight on them.

As long as you start with a new set of good quality front bearings, you should be OK for a little while. My team has run the narrower 2001 PT style bearings for greater than 24 hours of race time on our 1995 neon without incident. This 2005 PT has the wider front bearings (which was a mid-year change in 2002) - use the Timken SET49 bearings which are only $25 each at Rockauto. The rear hub/bearings are about $40 each for a Timken, and should last at least a couple of seasons.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

As long as you start with a new set of good quality front bearings, you should be OK for a little while. My team has run the narrower 2001 PT style bearings for greater than 24 hours of race time on our 1995 neon without incident. This 2005 PT has the wider front bearings (which was a mid-year change in 2002) - use the Timken SET49 bearings which are only $25 each at Rockauto. The rear hub/bearings are about $40 each for a Timken, and should last at least a couple of seasons.

I run a 95 coupe with 2g 26 spline hubs in a 1g spindle and I replace them yearly as a standard maintenance item and have only had one fail because I had cross threaded the spindle nut. That said, PT's are heavier than 2g neons, which are heavier than 1g neons.

I still use the 33mm bearing and it does fine for me, but what would it take to go to the larger bearing? I wouldn't think it would fit for the snap ring groove on the spindles that I use; do you have to go to the PT spindles to make that work? If I recall, there 01 and early 02 spindles retained the proper tie rod attachment position?

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

I run a 95 coupe with 2g 26 spline hubs in a 1g spindle and I replace them yearly as a standard maintenance item and have only had one fail because I had cross threaded the spindle nut. That said, PT's are heavier than 2g neons, which are heavier than 1g neons.

I still use the 33mm bearing and it does fine for me, but what would it take to go to the larger bearing? I wouldn't think it would fit for the snap ring groove on the spindles that I use; do you have to go to the PT spindles to make that work? If I recall, there 01 and early 02 spindles retained the proper tie rod attachment position?

To run the wider PT bearing, you could use 2003-05 neon knuckles OR 2003-09 PT knuckles. In either case, you would need to machine the strut clevis on the knuckle (where the strut bolts on) down to the thinner 1st gen neon thickness. With the PT knuckles, you also get the bigger (and MUCH better) PT front brakes. That’s the reason why my car is running PT knuckles. I am specifically using the 2001 PT knuckles for the reason that you mentioned: to preserve the steering geometry. Most of the later PT knuckles have longer steering arms than the 1st gens use, so your effective steering ratio becomes slower. Because I am using 2001 PT knuckles I am stuck with the thinner and more expensive wheel bearing. At least I get the thicker, 10mm hub flange since I am using the PT hubs too!

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible