Topic: Factory air conditioning?

I don't see any rules against keeping it....  We are thinking about ducting it into our helmet/suits.  Other than calling us wimps, pansies, etc., what are some opinions on this?

Re: Factory air conditioning?

Most AC systems are designed to shut off at Wide Open Throttle. So it could be handy for time under full course yellow, it won’t be running when it’s race time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

There's more than enough off throttle time to keep the compressor cycling, it doesn't ever run 100% anyway.

that said, I don't think you'll get as much benefit as you think you will. you're better off with a cool shirt system and maybe a fresh air ducting system. It'll be hard to duct any meaningful amount into a suit from the HVAC, and it wont' be as good as a cool shirt.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I thought most tracks don't allow use on track since many cars will be dripping water.  It's an easy way to get black flagged for looking like you are leaking something vital (if it is enough to be noticed).  Ducting might not work as well as you think, there is no good air gap once you are strapped in to allow for flow in the suit.  I know they make them for helmets, though, and I am sure that would feel great.  I have a cool shirt and it makes an incredible difference just by itself and will be more reliable than a clunker with AC.

HipoYoYo wrote:

I don't see any rules against keeping it....  We are thinking about ducting it into our helmet/suits.  Other than calling us wimps, pansies, etc., what are some opinions on this?

I like it and have planned on doing the same thing since a helmet I bought on sale has the nozzle for ducting fresh air. I was going to use a pvc valve to the helmet feed to help control how much goes to the relatively unrestricted flow to the helmet vs the suit / seat setup. I imagine my head getting colder than my body.

The other reason I was thinking to do it is because sometimes the exhaust fumes from the traffic and during the heat is literally nauseating, so I Was thinking to utilize the cabin air filter setup and maybe some additional filters to help filter that out to the helmet feed. Even for cars without AC, I thought it could be good to just use the stock ventilation fan. And with my home-made coolsuit cooler setup, I could put some aluminum tube -- maybe 1 loop of 1" -1.5" tubing-- through the side of the cooler and around the the bottom of it and back out the other side and have the air duct feed through the tube to cool the air and then feed the helmet. This is basically what the pro cool suit I saw does.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/nascar … s-buescher

RedBoss wrote:

...many cars will be dripping water. It's an easy way to get black flagged for looking like you are leaking something vital (if it is enough to be noticed).

Yeah, that's potentially one of the big problems with air conditioning: the condensation is a dripping fluid. Even if it isn't noticeable on track, it may get noticed when entering or leaving the track or in the hot pits and be reported to the judges anyway. It's also not just a question of going to the penalty box once and explaining "Oh, it's the AC" and calling it good. The judges aren't going to ask everyone to ignore your car's future leaks on the theory that it's probably just the AC again, because what if it's something else the next time? You'll get flagged again, and again, and again, and at some point you'll be told to stop running the AC and stay off the track until it's done dripping.

It may still be worth trying, but just be aware that you shouldn't count on being allowed to use it if it makes your car look like it's leaking.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

From Personal experience, a great way to loose a class win is to have a 22 year old AC compressor clutch in your belt routing.  When it seizes, you are in for shit-show.

OnkelUdo wrote:

From Personal experience, a great way to loose a class win is to have a 22 year old AC compressor clutch in your belt routing.  When it seizes, you are in for shit-show.

But ours is only 19 yo... HA
Sounds like we'd have to trust the compressor and collect the condensate...  It's not sounding so cool now. 
I appreciate everyone's comments. 

Cheers

Just build a cool suit. You'll love yourself for it the first time you plug it in.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I think you guys are way over thinking the dripping water deal. We ran a full race with the factory AC installed, and on (simply because we forgot to turn the HVAC off when the car was started), and seriously, there are cars that knowingly go out with worse coolant or oil leaks than what the condensate drops.

But I do agree, build a cool suit to do most of the driver comfort. The cool air to the helmet might still be an interesting idea, but there are ways to do that without the factory AC.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I installed a water to air intercooler, fed from the cool shirt system, along with a bilge blower to blow cold air into my helmet. Air temp = water temp....it rocks.

Many people don't realize that your standard street car's cooling system relies on recirculating the cabin air to achieve those cold duct outlet temperatures. The biggest AC systems (typically SUVs) are only going to get you a ~30°F drop over ambient inlet air temp across the evaporator. In a summer race, i.e. when you'd want air conditioning, the air coming into that HVAC system and hitting the evaporator will be WELL in excess of 100°F and even if that outlet air is coming out at 70°F, it sure won't feel very cool.

I hate to be a Debby Downer, but I predict disappointment. If you are hell-bent on running cool air through the HVAC case, consider plumbing cold water from a cool-suit ice chest into the evaporator, or the heater core and just set the temp to HI.

The Pentastar whisperer

Factory AC may be of more use in wet races rather than in dry heat, since dry air will lift more moisture from a windscreen than humid air. On the other hand, if you're forced to keep your windows open, your AC will be fighting a losing battle trying to dehumidify an unenclosed space...

3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights. All glass windshields or windows must be OE-type automotive laminated or tempered glass. Driver’s- and passenger’s-side front windows must be removed, or left open behind fully encasing door panels.

If the rules allowed plastic side windows (fitted so the driver can punch them out if the door is blocked by a tyre wall or another vehicle), having A/C could be really effective, but you're gonna have to take that up with HQ yourself, or just take the same route as the other teams above.

The dripping water sounds like overthinking it, but I do remember being told we were not allowed to run AC last time I did a track day. I think it was Thompson. Windows down was also a requirement so mostly pointless anyways. The cool shirt is the most reliable way to go.  When that icy water starts flowing it's awesome.  We actually only use it on the straights when we can spare a hand to toggle it on and off. That blast would last the rest of the lap and we didn't have to change out ice as often.  I built my own and found safety quick connects with the maximum ID you could get for flow. But it was really not needed, there was way more than enough.