Topic: Need Lemon feedback on cage upgrades

I am looking at upgrading the cage in the Punisher Caprice, not because Lemons Tech wants me to, but because I want to
1) We removed the dash, the curvy front down tubes don't make sense anymore.
1b) There's no dash bar tying the front down tubes together.
2) There is not much in the way of driver side impact protection and I want more.
3) Other reasons that have passed tech but I'd feel safer if I beef up the cage a bit.
Reading the rules (IKNORITE!) the rules clearly call out >3000# cars to have 1.75x0.120 wall tubing.
There is a spec 4-point cage available for the car for the roundy-round crowd. However, it's made of 1.75x0.095 wall.
It's a well priced, pretty kick ass cage.

Looking through the various rule books for Street Stock class RWD cars, most tracks require no more than 1.5x0.095 wall tube and 3250# race weight.

Can I get a read on allowing 1.75x0.095 wall tubing? We have pared the car down to ~3550# with full fuel.

Image of spec cage.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-k9b7cqysdc/images/stencil/608x608/products/3095/18739/ALL22105__57733.1555103413.jpg?c=2

Mike
#54 KDS-Performance/Punisher Racing 1996 Caprice
2Tun Za-fun!

Re: Need Lemon feedback on cage upgrades

You would want to ask Pagel not the forum.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Other series rules are irrelevant. Follow the Lemons rules or risk not getting a chance to play...and that's a big risk when it comes to something like the cage.

PS- add footwell bars

Guildenstern wrote:

You would want to ask Pagel not the forum.

Contact info?

Mike
2Tun Za-fun!

https://24hoursoflemons.com/contact/

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

ross2004 wrote:

Other series rules are irrelevant. Follow the Lemons rules or risk not getting a chance to play...and that's a big risk when it comes to something like the cage.

PS- add footwell bars

Totally understand, just wanted to have a common sense discussion. If the forum is not the right place, I'd love contact info on whom I can clarify with. I guess I'll try the main contact link..

I hear you on footwell, the pictured cage is a great start with most of the tricky bends worked out.

Mike
2Tun Za-fun!

Not an official answer, but I don't like the S-bend in the A-pillar bar.  Also keep in mind that really tall door bars make ingress/egress at lot more difficult.  The roundy-round guys don't change drivers over and over during a race so it's of no concern to them.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Not an official answer, but I don't like the S-bend in the A-pillar bar.  Also keep in mind that really tall door bars make ingress/egress at lot more difficult.  The roundy-round guys don't change drivers over and over during a race so it's of no concern to them.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd go with all 4 bars, and a removable steering wheel would be required. Even with 3, it's a big step up in side protection from what's in there now. Driver change access in  the pits is trumped by on track safety here.

As for the S bend, I don't know why it's a bigger deal than the bend from the window angle to the vertical, but a gusset plate or tube(s) would render the concern irrelevant. Our current cage has this bend in it, and is gusseted to the halo. It also has a significant wowy in the a pillar to clear the factory dash that's no longer present.

Mike
2Tun Za-fun!

Those extra bends in the A-pillar will turn from an S shape to a Z shape if a force tries to compress the tube, like if the tube is trying to keep the lower part of the cage away from a large mass like another car or the ground.

Case closed, the Man said no.

Mike
2Tun Za-fun!

There's not much, if any, grey area/exceptions to the safety rules.