1 (edited by tlburne2 2019-05-01 07:50 AM)

Topic: 24hr@CMP Afterthoughts from Rookie Team

A couple quick hits:
The gas station outside the track stayed open all night, really helped keep our gas bill low since we run regular 87 octane.

Holy crap is CMP hell on tires.  We seemed to be the only team running 400+ treadwear tires and even those started falling apart.

I gotta get me a set of those led light strips for night races, some of those cars looked great at night with colorful lines all over the car

I got passed by a Nascar driver....a lot....but thats cool.

So yeah, this was our first race ever and it just so happened to be a true 24.  We learned a lot about our car and racing in general, and we are solidly hooked for more races in the future.  I will say that I was kinda surprised with the level of cars and how blatantly expensive some stuff was.  Like how the hell is a jerico transmission allowed when those things are a cool $1,500 easy.  We are obviously new to this, but it seemed like we were outclassed from the very start.  I don't care how slow we were compared to the miatas and MR2's, but some of these v8 man trans cars seemed way out of our league.

The clearest example was probably Greg Biffle and co. with their crown vic.  We drove a bone stock 95 Accord and got class B.  Biffle was also in Class B with a purpose built track car, brakes that would fit in at Daytona, and god knows what transmission.  I know I've seen manual swapped crown vics in the past be scrutinized for the $500 limit when they come auto from the factory.

Am I missing something with regards to the whole bribing system or do we simply need to start throwing cash at the car and stop worrying about the whole $500 limit?  This was our first event, and until now our only expectations came from the Lemons Recap videos they do so maybe they only show the cars they liked and we never saw all the other cheaty stuff.

Re: 24hr@CMP Afterthoughts from Rookie Team

Get some 245 BFG rivals on 15x10 rims. You’ll be a lot faster and it’s all budget exempt.

3 (edited by VKZ24 2019-05-01 08:00 AM)

Did you notice who won?  It wasn't the super cheaty Biffle Crown Vic.  They were a very distant 3rd.  The 2nd place car was a '96 Civic.  The 5th place car was a '94 V-6 powered Mustang that has more top 5's and top 10s that almost anyone who's ever competed at CMP, and trust me, that car ain't cheaty.  We were up to 2nd in our '93 Integra at 4:00am when the engine finally gave up after 14 races.  Yep, we were beating the cheaty Biffle machine too, but you have to make it to the end, and we didn't.

It takes a good TEAM, a good car, and a LOT of luck to win one of these things.

If you want to come race, and have fun, cool.  If you are worried about who's in what car or class, you're in the wrong place.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Hey I feel ya, we certainly have a lot to learn.  It was more of a surprised to see it kinda thing than a how do I compete thing.  We weren't really paying attention to the laps seeing as we took a 5 hour break in the middle of the night to sleep.  I was more focused on how fast they blew my doors off on some of the straights.

Glad to see some of the true Lemons finished right up there at the top.

Brakes, wheels, tires are all budget exempt. If you want to go buy a used brake set off a prototype le mans car and find a way to stick them on your car, you're welcome to.

There'll always be one or two really cheaty cars at each race, if you watch they usually don't win. Don't worry about them.

Speed creep has been a thing in Lemons though. Used to be that E30s and spec miatas were some of the fastest things out there, now they're routinely out paced by a lot of other cars. Combination of newer cars coming down in value enough to grab, and teams just slowly improving their cars over the years to the point that they're really well dialed in. Again, don't worry about it as a new team.

Best plan for a new team is first buy some good tires. You'll be amazed at the difference. higher tread wear tires aren't really designed for the punishment of racing, so you're not really gaining the tire life you think you are. After that sort your brake system with some good race pads and fluid (many of us are ST-43 fanboys). And from there just focus on driver improvements and you'll go a long way. Winning doesn't come from cheaty cars, it comes from well sorted reliable cars and well run teams.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Good news is that Biffle Crown Vic is now in Class A... Forever.

FWIW, I'm notorious (in my own mind) for whining about Class C cars that aren't Class C cars, but I'm trying to get over it. Took me a while to realize that what I think are Class C cars are really Class F.

I respect that the judges have a heckuva time trying to figure this stuff out. It's pretty darned amazing how exciting the Class racing is at the top when all they are doing is going off of their own noggin-knowledge and occasional whim. And I'll bow to their decision-making genius and accept their occasional mis-classing in favor of not having to read a multi-page rulebook and circumcise fleas to try and do the "Class Racing" baloney.

Oh, and something The Great Pendejo once said echoes just as loudly today:

Winning a Lemons race is like bragging that you clean your toilet twice a day

When I went to watch a race I was surprised almost all the cars were 'normal', watching the recaps etc gives the wrong impression of reality.  The funny theater is unique to Lemons, but not many are like that.  Funny paint jobs maybe more common, but chicken heads spinning, tractors and airplanes, not really. 

And the $500 was relevant for the early years, now just marketing gimmick, since with inflation, $500 would be like $1000 today.  I've talked to more than one person who didn't want to run Lemons because they thought there car was more than $500, so maybe HQ might want to rethink the gimmick.

Just keep at it and you'll be surprised how quickly your results improve. As the other have said, get some good tires and brakes. And you are correct, the $500 limit really doesn't apply anymore. Sure some people have cars that fit that bill, but most don't. If you're like us you'll slowly end up improving the car after each race, along with your driving skill. Before you know it you won't be getting passed as much and if you stay on the track turning laps you'll be surprised how well you can place.

We did awful our first several races but we had tons of fun. Finally we got the car reliable and had it run all weekend and we were amazed how close to the top we were. Then of course we got hungry for a win which has been elusive.

Another thing you may have already learned is that there are lots of different things people want out of Lemons. Some do it solely for the comradery and to get out on track, not caring about speed or finishing position, and other are out there trying hard to win regardless of the flack you seem to get for it.

Now, go buy some better parts for that car and sign up for the next race. And don't take a nap half way through big_smile

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

Wait so how did a car run by Biffle ever get class B?

Which judge needs to report for reeducation camp?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

10 (edited by VKZ24 2019-05-01 10:25 AM)

For all those whining about Biffle's class B car, the fastest lap of the race was also set by a Class B car, the Lincoln Mark VIII driven my buddy on our sister team, Silver Senior.

Captain

I see now that I shouldn't worry about class, after all everyone is out on the same track at the same time.  Thanks for all the advice and look forward to wasting my hard earned money on another race soon.

Cheers mates.

tlburne2 wrote:

A couple quick hits:
The gas station outside the track stayed open all night, really helped keep our gas bill low since we run regular 87 octane.

Holy crap is CMP hell on tires.  We seemed to be the only team running 400+ treadwear tires and even those started falling apart.

I gotta get me a set of those led light strips for night races, some of those cars looked great at night with colorful lines all over the car

I got passed by a Nascar driver....a lot....but thats cool.

So yeah, this was our first race ever and it just so happened to be a true 24.  We learned a lot about our car and racing in general, and we are solidly hooked for more races in the future.  I will say that I was kinda surprised with the level of cars and how blatantly expensive some stuff was.  Like how the hell is a jerico transmission allowed when those things are a cool $1,500 easy.  We are obviously new to this, but it seemed like we were outclassed from the very start.  I don't care how slow we were compared to the miatas and MR2's, but some of these v8 man trans cars seemed way out of our league.

The clearest example was probably Greg Biffle and co. with their crown vic.  We drove a bone stock 95 Accord and got class B.  Biffle was also in Class B with a purpose built track car, brakes that would fit in at Daytona, and god knows what transmission.  I know I've seen manual swapped crown vics in the past be scrutinized for the $500 limit when they come auto from the factory.

Am I missing something with regards to the whole bribing system or do we simply need to start throwing cash at the car and stop worrying about the whole $500 limit?  This was our first event, and until now our only expectations came from the Lemons Recap videos they do so maybe they only show the cars they liked and we never saw all the other cheaty stuff.

If you finished higher than 26th you beat us..

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

VKZ24 wrote:

For all those whining about Biffle's class B car, the fastest lap of the race was also set by a Class B car, the Lincoln Mark VIII driven my buddy on our sister team, Silver Senior.

A 24hr race is really a test of team organization and car prep.  Half of the top 10 didn't break 2 minutes.

Biffle has run a few times and had not won B until this race.  He has been showing up in marginal cars.  They could go either way, class A or B, depending.  The other drivers he has been showing up with were pretty new a few races ago.  I suspect they are getting better...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Your biggest lap time improvement will come with seat time, not power, brakes, etc..  Your biggest finishing order improvement will come from team improvement whether that be pre-race prep or pit stop speed.  Throughout the series, pro drivers have guest driven different people's cars and turned lap times consistently way faster than it's ever gone before.  And the margin is greater than the same team would achieve with more power/brakes/etc.  To paraphrase, It's You Homeslice.  Once you get better at driving, then you'll be able to take advantage of more power/brakes/etc but until then work on your driving.

I too questioned the crown vickie in B but figured it might be because it was stockish.  Now that I hear that it had a manual trans, I agree it should have been an A car.  The Reno 911 team that ran pink CV's got bumped from B to A once they put manual trans' in the cars so I assumed that was something the judges still did.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

And my Manual swapped T-bird is B because we as a team have no clue.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

solman244 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

A 24hr race is really a test of team organization and car prep.  Half of the top 10 didn't break 2 minutes.

Biffle has run a few times and had not won B until this race.  He has been showing up in marginal cars.  They could go either way, class A or B, depending.  The other drivers he has been showing up with were pretty new a few races ago.  I suspect they are getting better...

Agreed, I actually caught whoever was driving their car around 3 pm Saturday (or thereabouts)  with our Class b car running a best of 2:02. I passed him going through 11-12 and he passed me back,  I passed him back again in the same corner but held him off through 14 this time right before I pitted. The #2 car is my old Honda Civic and I ran the quickest time in that car before i sold it, 4 seconds faster then their quickest time but I never placed that high.  They must have been very consistent and didn't have any black flags with quick pit stops cause thats the big key to winning Lemons.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Stop saying the $500 thing is not relevant!  it is and some of use follow it to the letter (3 out of four builds) and DEMAND our laps when we go over.  Two IoE's, Heroic fix, Screwed, Org Choice, etc.

Now race 2-7...um, we stopped asking about residuals years ago.  We bring crap and the Judges don't care until we win C...and you noticed that was not among those trophies I listed.

OnkelUdo wrote:

"stuff"

This guy is legit, 2x grand prize, he's a pleasure to race with on track, and he will help you in any way he possibly can off the track. Doesn't get much better than this guy.

Both of your cars are a shoe-in for a C win whenever you want to downgrade from winning IOEs.

VKZ24 wrote:

Did you notice who won?

MGD noticed who won.

In other news, I was surprised that biffle got B too, but he was the only decent driver on that team, although I think the rest of the team got better as the race went on.

As far as tires and brakes go, I would recommend that you go with proper 200TW tires and race brakes. As somebody mentioned on here, all seasons may fall apart from hard use, but more importantly, they don't talk to you. The team that I ran with this weekend ran some 340ish TW tires, and although they did have a little less grip, what bothered me more about them was that I had a lot of trouble determining how close I was to the limit, and tended to break away with little warning. A better tire will help you learn how to drive it and keep you out of trouble. Similarly for brakes, race brakes will not have as much problem with brake fade and be more capable and consistent throughout their life, which will make the car easier to drive. In reality, this is the only difference between a performance braking system and stock brakes as stock brakes will lock the tires if you press them hard enough.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

OnkelUdo wrote:

Stop saying the $500 thing is not relevant!  it is and some of use follow it to the letter (3 out of four builds)

Agreed!  Although we've spent $1,600 purchasing our three builds, so I guess that puts us $100 over.

I feel shame.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Agreed that when people say “the $500 rule is a thing of the past”, they are justifying their own loose accounting. I don’t mean to wag a finger, but we should all hold ourselves to the rules as written.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I think people just have a mindset that $500 means you can only show up with a junky falling apart c-class car. Our 2008 Saab is a legit $500 car.  Daily driver for 8 years and 254,000 miles. When it was time to trade it in a bunch of high tech things were broken like the auto leveling headlights, the xenon lights themselves had flickering issues the whole life of the car, the backup sensors didn't work, the fuel level gauge didn't work. Best trade in offer we got was $1000. So we went with that, then sold the interior and other bits for well over $500 as the rules outline. Never had any of the judges question it. We've done nothing to it performance wise except brakes, brake cooling, fuel cell because we had one from the last car, and cooling system upgrades when the old parts started literally falling apart.

People forget that 20 year old cars were build in 1999. You can get a decently performing car from the 90's or early 2000s for the $500 budget still, and it will be that much better than an 80's american crap box.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

23 (edited by steve 2019-05-02 05:44 AM)

Things have definitely changed over the years that is a fact, there was a time when a Miata with a hardtop was already over the limit because a hardtop was valued at more then $500 by itself. I have seen things that have made me scratch my head wondering how it got under budget but have since relied on the wisdom of those judging. They tend to have a pretty good grasp on what cars and teams will perform the best are they perfect ? nope but the do a pretty darn good job. . As stated the fastest cars on lap time don't always win in fact it's pretty rare. Good drivers and pit stops can make up for a lot. Don't get distracted as to what other teams are doing, keep focus on what you are doing and you will get better and better each race. Hope to see you again out on the track , In my rear view mirror of course wink

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

MDG wrote:

Both of your cars are a shoe-in for a C win whenever you want to downgrade from winning IOEs.

We know we have cars capable of Class-C win we just keep having either dumb (lack of) luck like getting beat by Chrysler turbo 2.? that ran ALL WEEKEND without blowing up or we have a mechanical failure on the car we are running normal stints on instead of shorter stints to help newbies develop, guarantee seat time, etc.

And we brought our newest car to Autobahn specifically chasing IoE only to robbed by a slightly crappier crapcan.

25 (edited by VKZ24 2019-05-02 08:13 AM)

Since there doesn't seem to be another CMP 24 race thread, for those who were there, any update on the driver who was injured Saturday afternoon?  I think he was on the Jerry Curl Racing team who was fielding a Taurus SHO.

When I saw the red flag I new it was serious, but when it was quiet and I heard the helicopter, my heart just sank.   HQ announced over the PA the driver was conscious and aware enough to oppose the helicopter ride (HQ insisted he take it), but I didn't hear any updates afterwards.

BTW, regarding the red flag, I wasn't driving at the time, but I was watching from the hot pits.  I was quite impressed that all the drivers (within my view) handled it exactly as they should have.  You might say what the big deal, but we've had red flag drills during my club's HPDE events, and more than a few drivers drove by several stations before they stopped.  Kudos to all my fellow Lemons racers who know what the flags mean, and how to react appropriately.

Captain