Re: 24hr@CMP Afterthoughts from Rookie Team

VKZ24 wrote:

Really hard to tell from that far away, but VanillaHaze's explanation seems very plausible.

Actually, rewatching it, I think there was a third car in the mix. Looks like the SHO stepped out to clear the car in front of him and didn't realize the sentra had come that close.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

Really hard to tell from that far away, but VanillaHaze's explanation seems very plausible.

Actually, rewatching it, I think there was a third car in the mix. Looks like the SHO stepped out to clear the car in front of him and didn't realize the sentra had come that close.

I took it as the Taurus was running the far left line and was just following the kink in the track right there, which would account for what appears to be him making a slight right turn. That's the way the kink there goes, there would be no reason for him to make a hard right because you need to be as far left as you can be to set up for turn 8. Either the best thing to take away from this is that he is ok, Is there any word as to maybe a gofundme account for his helicopter ride? Those things can be really expensive.  Link is for track map layout   https://www.google.com/search?q=cmp+tra … D8jHgBcQM:

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

Is there any word as to maybe a gofundme account for his helicopter ride? Those things can be really expensive.

I wonder if HQ has insurance that covers any of it?  I had a friend who was injured at a NASA event and their coverage, while not 100% was pretty good.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
steve wrote:

Is there any word as to maybe a gofundme account for his helicopter ride? Those things can be really expensive.

I wonder if HQ has insurance that covers any of it?  I had a friend who was injured at a NASA event and their coverage, while not 100% was pretty good.

That would be awesome

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

therood wrote:

I'm not flush with free time, but if anyone wants to assemble the MyLaps data, I bet the Crown Vic's average lap times aren't spectacular.

2:28.2 average overall lap times.  The winning team's overall average was 2:23.9.  Biffle was definitely making that crown vic dance, but their other drivers were average.  Their team organization and lack of mechanical failures has to be what garnered them a victory ( and that big ass shiny toolbox probably helped too :-P )

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:
therood wrote:

I'm not flush with free time, but if anyone wants to assemble the MyLaps data, I bet the Crown Vic's average lap times aren't spectacular.

2:28.2 average overall lap times.  The winning team's overall average was 2:23.9.  Biffle was definitely making that crown vic dance, but their other drivers were average.  Their team organization and lack of mechanical failures has to be what garnered them a victory ( and that big ass shiny toolbox probably helped too :-P )

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LSD19/1417-IMG_3365.jpg

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaWzo6NSipQ
"I'm not the kind of person to say I toadaso, but you know what....I toadaso...I f#$%ng a toadaso"

soldmystang wrote:
tlburne2 wrote:

A couple quick hits:
The gas station outside the track stayed open all night, really helped keep our gas bill low since we run regular 87 octane.

Holy crap is CMP hell on tires.  We seemed to be the only team running 400+ treadwear tires and even those started falling apart.

I gotta get me a set of those led light strips for night races, some of those cars looked great at night with colorful lines all over the car

I got passed by a Nascar driver....a lot....but thats cool.

So yeah, this was our first race ever and it just so happened to be a true 24.  We learned a lot about our car and racing in general, and we are solidly hooked for more races in the future.  I will say that I was kinda surprised with the level of cars and how blatantly expensive some stuff was.  Like how the hell is a jerico transmission allowed when those things are a cool $1,500 easy.  We are obviously new to this, but it seemed like we were outclassed from the very start.  I don't care how slow we were compared to the miatas and MR2's, but some of these v8 man trans cars seemed way out of our league.

The clearest example was probably Greg Biffle and co. with their crown vic.  We drove a bone stock 95 Accord and got class B.  Biffle was also in Class B with a purpose built track car, brakes that would fit in at Daytona, and god knows what transmission.  I know I've seen manual swapped crown vics in the past be scrutinized for the $500 limit when they come auto from the factory.

Am I missing something with regards to the whole bribing system or do we simply need to start throwing cash at the car and stop worrying about the whole $500 limit?  This was our first event, and until now our only expectations came from the Lemons Recap videos they do so maybe they only show the cars they liked and we never saw all the other cheaty stuff.

If you finished higher than 26th you beat us..

Heck we finished one spot in front of you and that was with an engine swap LOL

59 (edited by Sir Thomas Crapper 2019-05-09 10:53 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Wait so how did a car run by Biffle ever get class B?

Which judge needs to report for reeducation camp?

That's 2 races in a row.  He got B for Pittrace too..

Sometimes celebrity does help you in Lemons.  It may have been the newest car ever to race (2008)  with a manual trans to boot.

But, like Spank said, "He'll be in A from now on"  Or something like that

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Greg Biffle was at PittRace? Any pics of the car as I raced there and don't remember the Crown Vic

MBTL Racing

Ratdoggy wrote:

Greg Biffle was at PittRace? Any pics of the car as I raced there and don't remember the Crown Vic

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LPA19/386-DSC_1973.jpg

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Wait so how did a car run by Biffle ever get class B?

Which judge needs to report for reeducation camp?

That's 2 races in a row.  He got B for Pittrace too..

Sometimes celebrity does help you in Lemons.  It may have been the newest car ever to race (2008)  with a manual trans to boot.

It helps build "brand awareness"
Jay Leno
Travis Pastrana
Greg Biffle
Roadkill guys
It's a feather in the cap

I'd do it also if it was my series

MBTL Racing

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

manual transmission 2008 cars just live in B. (that's where we are, with our 2008 manual transmission car)

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

2008 SEQUENTIAL SHIFT Manual Transmission Car in Class C and in 2013!

Booyah!

https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/prius5-685x511.jpeg

https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/prius2-685x513.jpeg

^ Yes, the sprinkler key sticking out of dash is the sequential shifter on that.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)