Topic: Raybestos ST43 Bedding

I recently got some ST43 pads for the MINI after hearing many good things. I did ask Porterfield, but they didn't come with any bedding instructions.

Since they seem to be the favorite pad here on the forums, I'm curious to hear how people go about bedding these ST43 pads in? I'm coming from the Carbotech RP2 which has been impossible to bed in properly for me, so I could also be overthinking it.

The MINI is a street car, so a method for bedding in on a quiet road (below the speed limit, of course) would be ideal.

Re: Raybestos ST43 Bedding

The only pad we know is Carbotech,bedding instructions were to get em to fade then let em cool, do not come to a stop with your foot on the brake...
Expect less bite then the rp2

BTW, the RP2 should be banished from the earth,if the porterfield doesnt work, ignore all advice and go directly for xp24, you will thank me.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We’ve always bedded them in like any other pad.  Gradually get them good and hot, them drive a bit without touching the brakes, then let it sit until cool and all is well.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-05-05 05:49 PM)

Corvette forums had the Raybestos bedding procedures when we first started using them on on the Dustbuster!  To paraphrase: get them hot by doing three progressive "stops" 50-10 mph, 70-10 mph and 90-10 mph and coast to stop.  Let cool to ambient.

We honestly do not bother anymore as they bed well by just doing about 3 hot laps at the end of TnT and come in to cool.

Team Infinniti wrote:

BTW, the RP2 should be banished from the earth,if the porterfield doesnt work, ignore all advice and go directly for xp24, you will thank me.

Before using the RP2 I was a huge carbotech fan (mostly XP10, XP12) and converted a bunch of friends to their pads for their track day cars.
After dropping >$850 on two sets of pads that didn't last a full day of racing, I'm a little sour that they would sell something so terrible. Hopefully the ST43s work out, they are a little cheaper than the RP2 anyway.

We got something like 6 races out of our first set of ST-43s on our heavy saab, and they perform amazingly. I think we're still on the first set of rear pads actually.

We never did anything special to bed them in, a couple 45-5 stops behind the shop, then send it racing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Last I remember you don't need to do anything to bed them. I never have and they work fantastic.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Just to circle back on this, I did the usual "progressively increasingly hard stops until fade" and had no problems at the track, although I doubt they needed any bedding at all. I do drive to the tracks so feel that some initial bedding for street driving is probably helpful.

The pads are great so far, hardly any wear after a full race. They do squeal like metallic banshees for the entire race. I thought they might not be getting up to temp, but Raybestos brushed it off as normal when I inquired.

The other odd thing I noticed was once in every 20 hard braking zones, they seemed to grab with about 250% the initial bite that the normally had. I'm not going to complain much about occasionally better brakes, but I did think it was weird.

9 (edited by X-args 2019-07-21 06:21 PM)

They are a little temperature sensitive. At the Ridge- which has a really long front straight, the brakes go from strong to Hand of God as they get back up to operating temp. It's an interesting phenomenon.
The noise is totally normal.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Might be the Mini just doesn't get them hot enough. They are fantastic on my Lexus which is both heavy and fast. In your shoes I'd be running the Porterfield R4 up front and R4S in the back and save a ton of money.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

On my neon with no brake cooling, they're great for about 20 minutes and then lose all their initial bite, which means I can't use them until they bite as if I drill the pedal, I would just lock up the rears. I don't know if they're getting too hot, or not hot enough. I'm going back to hawk blues for the next race though as they are always consistent.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions