Re: Noob Team questions

Don't worry about BS- if you get penalty laps, fine. Take 'em and figure out how to rebody the car to something more entertaining later.

First race goal should be simple: Pass tech.

Our team went in with that goal on our first time, spent tons of time making sure we met the rules, and passed tech first attempt. Mission accomplished, we enjoyed the weekend learning the car and gathering experience.

Last piece of advice: As someone who has had a guibo ejected into the car while racing, I highly recommend you replace your guibos.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/06/02/199 … gGXdvQJh9o

Actual results may vary.

CarburetorIHardlyKnowHer wrote:

Don't worry about BS- if you get penalty laps, fine. Take 'em and figure out how to rebody the car to something more entertaining later.

Our team went in with that goal on our first time, spent tons of time making sure we met the rules, and passed tech first attempt. Mission accomplished, we enjoyed the weekend learning the car and gathering experience.

Last piece of advice: As someone who has had a guibo ejected into the car while racing, I highly recommend you replace your guibos.

I hadn't thought about the guibo... my old E46 M3 destroyed one but I blamed that on the smg trans. fcp euro shows 25 bucks so it should be doable budget wise

Crawford wrote:

I hadn't thought about the guibo... my old E46 M3 destroyed one but I blamed that on the smg trans. fcp euro shows 25 bucks so it should be doable budget wise

Hopefully personal budget because anyone with a lick of sense could if asked (which will never happen) argue that a safety item like tie rod ends or ball joints.

Exactly. The following advice applies to CV joints, center supports, what have you, as well as Giubos:

If you think it needs replacement because of wear, and you have the money, change it. Driveline pieces flying around cause full course yellows and code brown moments for the driver and any other driver racing alongside. It's safety, as far as I'm concerned. I can't think of a BS judge who would disagree with me. They explicitly state that brakes are free to spend whatever you want, and likewise, I ain't ever seen anyone get laps because they wanted a fresh driveline whirling away inches from where you're seated.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I cannot stress enough an elaboration on two points here:

Pass tech...yes.  The number of folks that cannot use the "How not to fail Tech" guide successfully is baffling.  It is 90% pictures.  Keep a copy in your bathroom.  Ziptie a copy to the car.  Give a copy to anyone that will touch the car.

Giubo...replace it and bring a spare.  Yours made of unobtainium?  Find whatever the most common conversion is (Audi of some sort usually) and bring a spare.  But do not stop there...what else commonly fails on your specific car on the street?  Bring a spare...or two.  If you think upgrading your suspension or steering to use heim joints is a good idea (it is not) makes sure you have a spare and those goes for any one-off fab or custom part that can end your race for the weekend.

Lastly, if you live anywhere but Southern California or Arizona...keep the wipers and try to keep defrost.  Yeah, that means heater hoses should probably be replaced and you have added 10#'s to your car but it is worth it (though I will say our convertible never had a fogging issue in the rain.

Better yet, don't get a car with a Guibo.  These are the same people who still use wheel bolts to this day.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

therood wrote:

The Chevy Spectrum is pretty close in dimensions to a Z3 in terms of width and wheelbase. Not sure how you'd make it work, but that's not really my problem.

Better yet, let the world know how awesome your EUROpean sports car is.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/chevrolet-celebrity-eurosport-vr-1988.jpg

i know where one is sitting.... in white

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Type44 wrote:

Exactly. The following advice applies to CV joints, center supports, what have you, as well as Giubos:

If you think it needs replacement because of wear, and you have the money, change it. Driveline pieces flying around cause full course yellows and code brown moments for the driver and any other driver racing alongside. It's safety, as far as I'm concerned. I can't think of a BS judge who would disagree with me. They explicitly state that brakes are free to spend whatever you want, and likewise, I ain't ever seen anyone get laps because they wanted a fresh driveline whirling away inches from where you're seated.

Code Brown moment: Check

Nobody on our team had ever heard of a guibo, but after the one under the transmission tunnel let go headed through the Kink at CMP, we learned. We've since installed a 1/2" steel blast shield over the tunnel.

We've never been questioned about our newly rebuilt CVs, center bearing, suspension bushings, etc. Make the car stay together- as said before, it's safety.

Type44 wrote:

Code Brown moment: Check

Nobody on our team had ever heard of a guibo, but after the one under the transmission tunnel let go headed through the Kink at CMP, we learned. We've since installed a 1/2" steel blast shield over the tunnel.

We've never been questioned about our newly rebuilt CVs, center bearing, suspension bushings, etc. Make the car stay together- as said before, it's safety.

Funny story...Our sponsors show up with a fancy former Spec (insert BMW 3-series E##) and have it parked next to their tire changing truck/RV Friday morning. 

Them "Yeah, we only had three days to prep since the cage builder took so long to do the modifications."
Me "Got a spare ECU and Guibo?"
Them...blank stares

Guibo went I think in practice or early Saturday.  Had it lasted longer, likely would have been the ECU.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Funny story...Our sponsors show up with a fancy former Spec (insert BMW 3-series E##) and have it parked next to their tire changing truck/RV Friday morning. 

Them "Yeah, we only had three days to prep since the cage builder took so long to do the modifications."
Them...blank stares

Guibo went I think in practice or early Saturday.  Had it lasted longer, likely would have been the ECU.

German Engineer "Let's design another part that will complicate something simple like a driveshaft."

Advertisement "Guibo!  Brought to you by the same group of geniuses that use still use wheel bolts".

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

OnkelUdo wrote:

Them...blank stares

Clearly I've learned because not only do I have a spare Guibo and ECU, but I actually have an entire spare ignition and fuel system down to the hoses. OK, so we actually have an entire spare powertrain but isn't that where every Lemons team ends up anyways?

38 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-06-26 11:56 AM)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Them...blank stares

Clearly I've learned because not only do I have a spare Guibo and ECU, but I actually have an entire spare ignition and fuel system down to the hoses. OK, so we actually have an entire spare powertrain but isn't that where every Lemons team ends up anyways?

Dustbuster...we actually just carry a whole subframe because it is just easier.  We have found that bringing a spare 3800 to an event is a waste of time.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Dustbuster...we actually just carry a whole subframe because it is just easier.  We have found that bringing a spare 3800 to an event is a waste of time.

Work smarter, not harder. You can't cut into beer time just because your engine blew up.