Topic: collapsible steering column

What are people doing for the collapsible steering column? Our MR2 has one from the factory, but they are known to have slop in the sliding joint, and I know for a fact the one on our old MR2 was welded solid. we "could" use the stock one and just keep an eye out for slop, but I was thinking of running something like this, unless there are other recommendations:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway … 14416.html

If I do get something like that, does anyone know where to get a U-joint with the right Toyota spline on it?

Thanks!

The Cosmonaughts - 86/88 MR2 with 1MZ V6

Re: collapsible steering column

If at all possible stay stock.  We had to replace ours with an aftermarket because '47 Plymouth but this is one area OEM is best M.  If you car came with it and it is still collapsible, keep it.  If you ABSOLUTELY have to consider options Marc Leblanc of the radial engine MR2 build fame knows more about MR2's of all generations better than the Toyota engineers.  I can find a way to get you in touch if needed.

I can't comment on OEM MR2 shafts or how they compare, but that Speedway shaft is exactly what we used in our '64 Dart. Multiple other teams have used that design. If you install it correctly, it will pass tech. Not sure what spline you need for your steering box, but we ended up getting our U-joint from Sweet Manufacturing.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I can't comment on OEM MR2 shafts or how they compare, but that Speedway shaft is exactly what we used in our '64 Dart. Multiple other teams have used that design. If you install it correctly, it will pass tech. Not sure what spline you need for your steering box, but we ended up getting our U-joint from Sweet Manufacturing.

Glad to see others are using this. In addition to our stock one having slop in it, it is also large and heavy, an aftermarket solution seems like it might be the way to go.

I ended up doing some googling and might have found a U joint that would fit but I need to make it over to the car and measure it with some calipers. Worst case we could also take the U-joint splines from one of the stock columns and weld to a COTS U-joint.

The Cosmonaughts - 86/88 MR2 with 1MZ V6

even if you go aftermarket...make one with a shear pin.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

even if you go aftermarket...make one with a shear pin.

Isn't that what the clamp on collars are for? to keep it from collapsing with out a collision?