Re: Is there a NJMP 2019 thread? If not, then this is the NJMP 2019 thread

" It looks like your back right tire touched their front left as you tried to cut over and you basically pit maneuvered yourself, "

I absolutely did not cut over, I knew 945 was there. I was hit on my left side and pushed into them. I really hope someone produces video who was following. My bumper was even with the front tire of the car on my left, I have no idea why the suddenly moved to their right, possibly a mechanical issue???

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

PSatt wrote:
Malgandalf wrote:

Hey folks, Mike here. I'm the guy who flipped several time near the end of Sunday. If anyone has video of the incident I would really appreciate  getting a copy. I'd love to see what the hell happened. Thanks. Send me a link or file to mike@eandbventures.com.  I am fine by the way.

Hey Mike, Glad youre ok. You crashed right as we were leaving so I didnt get a chance to say anything afterwards. Looked like a rough ride by the looks of the car.
Good hanging out with you guys a bit this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Paul
'Baby Rooth"

Great to meet you guys. Hope to see you at the track again.

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

28 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-06-10 08:55 PM)

Malgandalf wrote:

" It looks like your back right tire touched their front left as you tried to cut over and you basically pit maneuvered yourself, "

I absolutely did not cut over, I knew 945 was there. I was hit on my left side and pushed into them. I really hope someone produces video who was following. My bumper was even with the front tire of the car on my left, I have no idea why the suddenly moved to their right, possibly a mechanical issue???

I don't need to see another video, it was clear you were the Braunschweiger in a BMW sandwich, Car on the far outside tried to make 3 cars fit into the space of 2.

It could have been mechanical, but it does look like they just dived to the apex thinking the two of you were ghost laps or something.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Here's the 945 video with some slow-mo added.

https://youtu.be/O4o2DxQJ3hk

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

Malgandalf wrote:

Hey Mike, sorry I wasn't accusing you of intentionally hitting them. I was just saying it looked like you were cutting in front of the 945 car to get around the 47 car on your left and misjudged it. I had several cars do the same move to me Sunday while I held the inside line of the bowl in our slower car trying to stay out of people's way.

I didn't realize you were bumped by the 47 car, you can't really see it from that video. Unless the driver of that car sees this post I doubt we'll ever know why they moved over, could have been a mistake or mechanical problem.

I wasn't suggesting that your move was in the same category that the driver of the orange BMW pulled. It was a tight gap and you went for it. That's racing. I personally might not have because this is amateur racing and you're putting a lot of trust in two fellow drivers of varying skill levels to see you're there, hold their line and leave you that gap, but I don't fault you for going for it.

Again, glad you're OK and hope to see you at future races

meyers0150 wrote:

It seemed like most of the damage was caused by poor flagging.  Yellow at one stand, nothing at the next, go over a hill at full throttle and dead stop traffic with another yellow causing cars to be rear ended.

This was a huge issue all weekend, but especially Saturday. They were clearly not on the same page. Had several people lock up and almost rear end me on yellows and did it once myself coming overt the hill, so unnecessary and easy to avoid with good communication.

32 (edited by -SDR- 2019-06-10 09:57 PM)

We did our best to keep out of the way but we noticed lots of drivers cutting us off during their pass for no reason.  Like once they no longer saw us they decided we were no longer there. 

BTW: You're welcome for not blocking you or letting you hit us.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

33 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-06-10 10:51 PM)

tythetoyotaguy wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

It seemed like most of the damage was caused by poor flagging.  Yellow at one stand, nothing at the next, go over a hill at full throttle and dead stop traffic with another yellow causing cars to be rear ended.

This was a huge issue all weekend, but especially Saturday. They were clearly not on the same page. Had several people lock up and almost rear end me on yellows and did it once myself coming overt the hill, so unnecessary and easy to avoid with good communication.

Surprise parking lots really tick me off. Flags are there specifically to warn you of trouble ahead. Like say 20 cars at the crest of a hill stacked up like dominos.

The reaction to a local caution itself becomes a reason for an upstream caution. The flag stations can talk to each other and race control. So line of sight isn’t really a limiting factor.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Malgandalf wrote:

This is a lesson that all need to learn. If you come up on a car on the right side, never, ever, ever assume that they see you, even if you're about even with them. that side is harder to see from inside the car with a helmet, hans, and racing. I can't tell you how many times I've had the door slammed from that side even when I was sure they could see me. Happens passing on the left too, but more on the right from my experience.

Even with the slowed down video it really does look like you just drifted a little over on 945 because you assumed you were past (which happens so damn often my standard procedure is now to tap brakes when someone passes close like this and make sure I'm behind them). But I will reserve judgement until another view can be found.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

IIRC one of the guys from the 47 car does post here so hopefully they will see this and reply, I won't speculate or make any judgements as I know people from both teams and its not my place to judge without every angle available.  Also maybe someone from that gray Del Sol had some video running hopefully.  Mike I'm just glad you are ok, and lets make the saddest part of this whole deal that now you may have to go back to racing a Cavalier.

Other thoughts:  PLEASE stop slamming on your brakes when you see yellows.  All you need to do is back it off and slow down.  Yellow does not mean  "STOP RACING RIGHT HERE" (I probably should post this on the facebook group).

Flagging sucked, but thats NJ.  Nothing like the flag stations being yellow, nothing, nothing, yellow, yellow yellow, nothing, nothing, yellow like its fucking morse code. 

Despite the wrecks I saw mostly decent driving out there TBH.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you search NJMP Lemons Rollover there is a video posted from another trailing car.  Unfortunately my current browser is blocking YouTube so I can't post the link.  The video is from a little bit of a distance so I'm not sure how clear it will be to see contact from #47 or not.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

37 (edited by chaase 2019-06-11 07:49 AM)

meyers0150 wrote:

If you search NJMP Lemons Rollover there is a video posted from another trailing car.  Unfortunately my current browser is blocking YouTube so I can't post the link.  The video is from a little bit of a distance so I'm not sure how clear it will be to see contact from #47 or not.

It's too far away to see any contact.  The rear view camera on #945 doesn't show any contact nor did it pick up any noise, but it's field of vision is likely too limited. At this point, car #47 is the only person that could confirm any contact unless someone has pictures of the passenger side before and after to see if there is some damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1qy-l_v5aU

This is the rear view from car #945. I don't see any contact. Car #47 may have shifted over a little because the track was narrowing out. To me. it just looks like #666 drifted over but the camera angle isn't very wide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K4fF2eZTv0

I just see two cars racing to get past a slower one and car #666 ended up in a bad spot, personally I usually just back off instead of inserting myself into the sandwich.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

38 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2019-06-11 07:58 AM)

I believe it was the seam in the track which caused a counterclockwise yaw of car number 666 which to him may have felt like he was hit. The yaw is most apparent in the first 945 front facing video in slow motion.
The contact with 945 was about a second later.
But 666 does not appear to be anywhere near the front wheel of 47 at that time.
47 appears to be closing in too early.
Seam is most visible in the rear view video @ about 0:19.

Joe Regulator wrote:

I have some clean video of both the Driving School Prelude crash and the "Pass in the Grass" e36 that I will post here as soon as I can.

Here is the #102 e36 passing on the grass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6pCFVaw_I

Here is the unfortunate #28 Prelude crash following the #77 VW spin:
https://youtu.be/vUCe1-Z2P9w

Mr Regulator,

Thanks so much for giving me room (Surfin Bird)  They kept coming at me, and I was trying desperately to not broadside either car.

BTW, is this the nice looking 240?  That car got stupid fast last stint sunday.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

40 (edited by darkcambria 2019-06-11 11:20 AM)

I was in the Del Sol when it happened, no video though so you'll have to deal with my recollection for what that's worth. I was trying to get around the Audi and e46 also at the time. I saw a slight hole open up but it was barely a car width and as you can see from the chasing car video it was still in the turn coming up to pit in. When I saw the 666 car go for it I moved away because it looked like the pass would go badly. It was really tight and when one car moved (fairly sure it was the 666 that moved) there wasn't a hole anymore and that's when contact happened. Again, that's just my recollection and I was pretty shocked to see it happen right off my fender.

Edit also: That 666 car also hit my front left fender around 11:45 when I started the stint. I was inside on turn 5 and pointed them by on my left and they passed me but smashed my front fender when they moved over too quickly. Not saying it was the same driver, but certainly the same car.

From the rear facing camera, the 666 was already moving toward the silver gray BMW before it even cleared that cameras view.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

42 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2019-06-11 02:42 PM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

From the rear facing camera, the 666 was already moving toward the silver gray BMW before it even cleared that cameras view.

I agree, but I don't see hitshake in the video until 47 and 666 are out of view of the rear-facing video.

From this rear-facing camera video [ https://youtu.be/O4o2DxQJ3hk ], I see - not plenty, but enough - room for 3 abreast initially, so it seems initially 666's attempt to pass is reasonable.

And again, after they're out of view, I see the video bump from the seam in the track, and then the hitshake from the first contact [ comparing relative position in the front and rear videos ].

I see it from this front-facing video at around 1:00 [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bU5HC … ture=share ] as:
47 turning in / drifting right too early, but is clear of 945; perhaps doesn't see 666 in between, or perhaps trying to get out of the way of 666 because there's a relative straight ahead, correct?
666 still trying to pass but running out of room [ I'd have bailed already ]
then the seam bump and 666's back end coming over for the first contact with 945 at ~1:03 of the video [timestamp 12:52:47]
then the first part of the roll
945 goes off track
then the second contact with 666

And if you compare again the rear-facing video, I see the hitshake of the first contact, 945 going off the track, and the second hitshake of the second contact, and then the rest.

So this is all pretty clear to me as the 666 driver. That is up until the moment I become airborne and things become REALLY confusing. I was coming up on the 47 and 945. Things were pretty tight to be sure, I stuck my nose in and was considering making the pass knowing it was probably not a good idea. The 47 drifted right a little bit and I backed out of the throttle ( you can hear this in the video). They then drifted left again and I thought they has seen me and were opening up the lane for me so I put the hammer down and went for the pass. When I was completely committed to the pass and my front bumper was right around their right front tire the 47 moves to the right again ( clearly remember this as that's the point I knew things were going to get ugly, specifically remember the contact because I knew it was gong to end badly at that point and that I had made the wrong decision). I'm pushed  into the 945 and all hell breaks loose. I didn't see anything that would cause the change of direction for the 47, I have no idea why it happened, if they didn't see me, were avoiding debris on the track, who knows. I do know that I did not try to merge in front of the 945 without help. Was it a tight spot? Yes absolutely but I thought I had confirmation that my car had been seen. As it turned out I misread the situation with pretty severe consequences. I'm just glad that no one ( myself included) paid a higher price for my miscalculation. I'm not saying at all that I'm blameless for the crash but please believe me when I say that I absolutely did not turn myself into the 945. I believe that there's a fair number of drivers out there on Sunday that would have made a similar decision. I've got somewhere around 15 Lemons races under my belt at this point and the judges don't really know who I am for a reason.

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

Mike, I'm not making any judgement but I do want to point out that it is extremely common for our memory of how an event unfolded to not match what actually happened. There have been a huge number of times where I thought I remembered something happening on track a very specific way, only to go back to watch the video and seeing that I was only half right. I'll get details about how close I was to someone wrong, or the timing of events is wrong, or I completely missed the fact that some other car was in the mix. Hell, on the street I had a woman run a stop sign in front of me causing me to t-bone her. I swore up and down that it happened a certain way, only to go back to my dash cam and realize I had a bunch of it wrong. It was a 3-way stop where my road didn't have a stop, I initially thought I had seen her stopped at her sign and then I looked the other way to see if that car was stopping and then she pulled in front of me. I was wrong, she had never stopped at all and in fact just ran the sign completely. What you remember is very often a biased (maybe the wrong word) account based on emotional responses in the moment.

I'm not trying to say that you are in fact wrong about what happened. I was not there, and I can only see what's in the video shown so far. It's entirely possible that your account is dead on accurate. It is also possible that the Audi moved because they really didn't know you were there and you instinctually moved right as a reaction and your initial tap to the 945 is what makes you think you were hit and pushed. I honestly don't know, and my opinion doesn't really matter. Again I'm not trying to pass judgement, only share my experience with race incident memories vs reality.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Hi Guys, this is the driver of the #47 blue Audi. I've resisted chiming in here until I had a chance to review and post the video from my car.

As #945 indicates, he is going pretty slowly around the ligthbulb (T9) and is hugging the inside line. I pass him on the left at T10 (a very gentle turn), you can see that when I am even with #945, I am almost at the outside curbing and there is a very large gap between us. After I pass #945, his speed starts to increase (based on his forward-facing video that includes his MPH).

After I pass the T10 curbing, I do start to move slowly back to the center of the track and the gap between me and #945 does get smaller.

At this point, I am aware that there is someone else near my rear bumper, so my movements are very smooth, trying to be predictable. I thought that being in the center of the track would allow passing on either side of me. So, the gap between #495 and me does get smaller because I move a little to the right, and #945 is speeding up.

Video #1: https://youtu.be/Pp1jevCRI6A
Real-time of the event. This is forward-facing video, but #666 is visible in my right-side convex mirror. I've looked at it a thousand times, and I see daylight between us the whole time. It wasn't a large gap, but it was there. I don't believe that I contacted #666 at all.

Video #2: https://youtu.be/VcwQO6ADO_g
Slo-motion of the same footage, plus a zoomed-in version of the slo-motion footage. I draw the same conclusion - #666 appears to drift slowly into #945 (who is accelerating), got popped up on the air, and started rotating. You can see from my video that #666's front bumper was just at my right-rear wheel when he contacted #945 (and not anywhere near my front wheel).

Ray

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

46 (edited by Malgandalf 2019-06-12 06:11 AM)

RSB wrote:

Hi Guys, this is the driver of the #47 blue Audi. I've resisted chiming in here until I had a chance to review and post the video from my car.

Hey RSB-

Thanks for chiming in, I'm glad to hear your perspective. I just watched the video and you are correct, there was no contact. I'm glad you have the video to prove it. I swear to you that in my memory there was. Thanks for clearing this up. And Dammit, this was completely my fault.
Be well and have fun.

Hangs head in shame,
-Mike

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

TheEngineer wrote:

Mike, I'm not making any judgement but I do want to point out that it is extremely common for our memory of how an event unfolded to not match what actually happened. There have been a huge number of times where I thought I remembered something happening on track a very specific way, only to go back to watch the video and seeing that I was only half right. I'll get details about how close I was to someone wrong, or the timing of events is wrong, or I completely missed the fact that some other car was in the mix. Hell, on the street I had a woman run a stop sign in front of me causing me to t-bone her. I swore up and down that it happened a certain way, only to go back to my dash cam and realize I had a bunch of it wrong. It was a 3-way stop where my road didn't have a stop, I initially thought I had seen her stopped at her sign and then I looked the other way to see if that car was stopping and then she pulled in front of me. I was wrong, she had never stopped at all and in fact just ran the sign completely. What you remember is very often a biased (maybe the wrong word) account based on emotional responses in the moment.

I'm not trying to say that you are in fact wrong about what happened. I was not there, and I can only see what's in the video shown so far. It's entirely possible that your account is dead on accurate. It is also possible that the Audi moved because they really didn't know you were there and you instinctually moved right as a reaction and your initial tap to the 945 is what makes you think you were hit and pushed. I honestly don't know, and my opinion doesn't really matter. Again I'm not trying to pass judgement, only share my experience with race incident memories vs reality.

Looks like you got this dead on with this analysis.

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

48 (edited by chaase 2019-06-12 06:35 AM)

Malgandalf wrote:
RSB wrote:

Hey RSB-

Thanks for chiming in, I'm glad to hear your perspective. I just watched the video and you are correct, there was no contact. I'm glad you have the video to prove it. I swear to you that in my memory there was. Thanks for clearing this up. And Dammit, this was completely my fault.
Be well and have fun.

Hangs head in shame,
-Mike

The turn into 945 looked pretty abrupt so its possible you had a mechanical failure that caused the car to turn but not sure you can figure that out with the amount of damage that was done to the car.

The best thing you can do from this point going forward is to learn from your mistake and dial it back when/if you get back on the track. As Jay, Steve and others like to say, you can't win a race in one turn but you can surely lose it.

IIRC, there is a 1 year ban for rolling a car so you may have to deal with HQ. They may not be in the best mood considering the antics of the orange BMW this past weekend so tread lightly.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I'm aware of the rule. I'm relegated to pit crew for a year. hmm

Mike E
Seems Legit Racing
#555 '95 Cavalier
#666 '96 Cavailier Z24

Wow, glad this could be figured out and resolved by all involved.  Excellent analysis.

I noticed one thing Mike, based on your recollection, that you did lift a bit in there before deciding to commit again.  In theory had you just stayed in it we may not be having this conversation as the wreck wouldn't have happened.  Maybe #945 would have flipped you the bird for cutting them off.

I have found that when I end up in such situations at Lemons its best to just commit from the get go.  Any time I have backed off has often ended in evasive maneuvers, as the drivers to your left and right are always expecting acceleration.  Also many times you never know who really is behind the wheel.    Anyway glad all is ok now.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners