51 (edited by Tim_ 2019-06-12 12:17 PM)

Re: Is there a NJMP 2019 thread? If not, then this is the NJMP 2019 thread

Here's my lengthy write up for the Turtle Eclipse of the Heart (#531). it may be a bit redundant since it's intended audience is non-racers...

some backstory
The turtle eclipse of the heart last raced back in 2017 at NJMPs Thunderbolt circuit. When I found out we would miss the 2018 event, I became a 'free agent' and raced with the Schumacher Taxi: My Little Ponycar Mustang team for 2018 (thanks RobL!) and then found myself with a Chumpcar Prelude team (and got introduced to something called "winning"). It's interesting to race with new teams because everyone has their own way of doing things so you try to pick up on what works and apply it to your own team. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we never got around to installing cool suit set-ups, or live video feeds, or live telemetry - we barely had working radios (and for 2 stints we didn't even have that). But we did have some hella sweet t-shirts! (available on Amazon!)  https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A7141123 … pse+Shirts

https://i.imgur.com/8CokTmc.jpg

The bribe
We wanted the judges to be merciful to us this weekend, so we decided to put a little bit of effort into our bribe. We stopped by the local liquor store and picked up some random beers - mostly green canned ones to fit our theme, and slipped in a few Naturdays and a 32 of High Life along with some quality Bourbon. (we were trying to get the judges items that began with "B" - beer, bourbon... and boobs) So with the first two handled, we needed some boobs. We stopped by 3 convenience stores but not a single nudie mag could be found. Google Assistant revealed an Adult book and movie store just a mile away, so with that info we head off to "Red Barn Books". A few minutes later we arrived and the parking lot was packed - full of Lemons racers no doubt! They had vintage playboys on one shelf, several racks of DVDs and toys - and behind the curtain were the viewing booths and the main theatre - we could hear the moans. We decided on two vintage playboys from 1993 - the year the car was made - one was the Girls of the Pac 10 with Jenny McCarthy. The offering was complete.

Back at the track, we placed the alcohol in a cooler IN the turtle sandbox on the roof, and closed the “shell” on top. We entered the “BS Inspection” line with Bonnie Tyler’s “Total Eclipse of the Heart” cued up on repeat on the Bluetooth Speakers. The Playboys were on the windshield held tight by the wipers with our passed Tech Sheet on top. As the judges got a look at the car, before we had a chance to make our offering - the first judge pulled his pen out and was just about to write an “A” on our tech sheet. Not so fast! I turned on the wipers – pulling the tech sheet away from his pen, and revealing the Playboys below! Then we popped open the turtle and gave them the booze. We were placed in class B and received a new “bribed” stencil on our hood. Mission accomplished.

Race Day 1
Saturday morning, we got the car lined up first on the grid (yes!) and drove our pit vehicle to the closest spot to pit road.
https://i.imgur.com/e3Bw95Y.jpg

At 9:30 the cars roll off to the track. 130 cars circle around under yellow until timing and scoring makes sure all the transponders are working properly. When the green flag was thrown at random we found ourselves back in 67th. By lap 10, we’re up to 36th and by our first pit stop on Lap 50, we’re up to 14th. We get driver 2 in the car after a 4 minute pit stop and he heads back out in 27th, 10 minutes behind the lead car. By lap 85, we’re back in 10th, and 5 min behind the leader. About 80 minutes into his stint, driver 2 sees the coolant temps go up and pulls in to take a look. Everything checked out and we send him back out. We were now in 40th place, 15 minutes behind the leader. 8 laps later, and he’s back in for our driver change. Driver 3 gets in and heads out in 39th, 25 minutes back. He manages to get us back up to 19th before handing off the car to me to finish the day off. He came in about 15 minutes earlier than expected and said he was low on fuel, so it looks like we might not make it to the end without having to pit again. I head out in 23rd and keep my eye on the gauges. After 10 or so laps, the fuel gauge hasn’t moved and I’m thinking we just might make it… but then it starts dropping faster and faster as I tick off the laps. With 20 min to go, we’re up to 17th and I have to come in to pit. The timing and scoring app took a shit, so had no idea where we were or how far back we were at this point, but it turned out we didn’t lose any places during our refueling. We finish Day 1 in 17th place overall and 3rd in class.
https://i.imgur.com/ut8FECn.jpg

That evening we changed the front pads, bed them and then refuel. We discover that refueling at night, we can get quite a bit more fuel in the car than what we were getting in the hot pits. So it seems that our vents not venting enough to allow us to get those last few gallons in unless we pour them EXTREMELY slow. Nothing we can do at this point, so we filled it up to the brim and decide to let Driver 1 on day 2 go til empty.
https://i.imgur.com/R4P09l0.jpg

Race Day 2
For the start of Day 2, Lemons lines up the top 10 cars in order and lets them go out first. The 2 cars ahead of us in B class are in the top 10 and get to be in the fancy line. Again, we’re able to get first spot to lead out the rest of the cars to start day 2. Driver 1 gets a lap or 2 back on the B class cars ahead, but we’re still pretty far behind. At this point most of the cars have laps between them rather than seconds, so it takes a while to move up – or down – so you cross your fingers for a black flag or long pit stop… but unfortunately luck was not on our side. With 2 hours to go on Day 2, we were running in 8th with our last pit stop of the day. Our driver pulls in with a flat right rear. No tire changing in the pits so we have to go back to the camp for fresh rubber after refueling. With just about 90 minutes to go, we sent the last driver out in 10th and he managed to pick up one more spot before the end for our best result yet of 9th overall (previous best was 14th) and tied our best class finish of 3rd.

https://i.imgur.com/ifE6bmf.jpg

The timeless battle between the tortoise and the hare continues, and just as in the fable, so too on the track, the turtle is victorious
https://i.imgur.com/tvIJhta.jpg

Knock/no boost
Our knock sensor was coming on under partial throttle in 4th gear - usually on the exit of  The Lightbulb - so more often the not, the warning light would come on and we'd have to lift and stab the gas to clear the light - which meant we'd enter the fastest part of the track with... no boooooost.  really sucked when we'd be hanging with the fastest cars for a lap or 3 and then have them leave us on the straight while we're pedaling the throttle.

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

Tim_ wrote:

and then found myself with a Chumpcar Prelude team (and got introduced to something called "winning").

Class win, don't over sell it.

ross2004 wrote:
Tim_ wrote:

and then found myself with a Chumpcar Prelude team (and got introduced to something called "winning").

Class win, don't over sell it.

https://i.imgur.com/1Pu5QMv.jpg

1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse - "Turtle Eclipse of the Heart" - awarded Best Team Name Ever
Reserve Driver for "Schumacher Taxi Service: My Little Pony Car" - foxbody Mustang

54 (edited by Spank 2019-06-12 01:12 PM)

RSB wrote:

Hi Guys, this is the driver of the #47 blue Audi. I've resisted chiming in here until I had a chance to review and post the video from my car.

Video #1: https://youtu.be/Pp1jevCRI6A

Video #2: https://youtu.be/VcwQO6ADO_g

I'm not sayin' nuttin'...

But Ise can sees da pixels...

https://www.dailydot.com/layer8/how-to- … ake-video/

http://thighgaphack.com/weeks-thigh-gap … pologized/

(very glad all is resolved amicably and most importantly everyone is seemingly ok)

55 (edited by chaase 2019-06-12 01:44 PM)

Spank wrote:

(very glad all is resolved amicably and most importantly everyone is seemingly ok)

While the roll over was bad, it seemed like an ill advised pass that went wrong, whereas the orange BMW trying to pass someone using the grass was insane, malicious and just plain stupid.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

In regards to the 945 and 666 incident, I think a lot of drivers don't realize how jerky and hard to handle some of these crap cans are, or assume the other driver will drive the same. Fairly sticky tires, questionable eyeball alignments, worn suspensions, worn steering racks, and a lot of cars that just handle poorly. Even if you have two cars that handle great next to each other the drivers are going to be different and you will drive a different line.  You have to assume that the car you are next to could shift a foot in either direction for a lot of reasons. Even a fraction of a second difference in the time you both turn in can become a few feet real fast.  The other driver night not have a clear view of the turn coming up and botch it.  I thought the driving shown in the video was actually pretty smooth, just too tight for the time needed to complete a pass and a miscalculation of the gap on the right. The small shifts in distance between the cars is nothing unusual in my experience, especially then you have 3 cars wide.

There's a complete cut of the rollover posted to Youtube.  Crazy.  Again, glad to hear everyone is OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOSwJurBEc

I'm sure I completed that 3 wide pass at least a half dozen times over the weekend, as have many of the drivers.

I'll be thinking about it a little harder before doing it in the future.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

There is a small undulation in track surface right at the point where 666 moves right--I noticed over the weekend that it was enough to briefly lighten steering load and cause me to go slightly off line if I wasn't completely ready for it.

To paraphrase Hendrix, what if 666 turned out to be 999?

I'm not religious, but I guess I'm superstitious- I would never put that number on my car...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

61 (edited by flyman3456 2019-06-15 08:50 AM)

A bit slow as normal for us, but here is our post race trip report highlights for Racebar:

- The Thursday night impromptu party.
- The Friday morning hate post on our facebook group about the noise the night prior (sorry)
- Cycling all of our drivers through Friday as drivers and passengers
- Driving around the paddock all weekend handing out beers and playing music
- Driving a white turbo minivan gocart and an impromtu drag race in the paddock, complete with official starter
- Not blowing up our motor for litterly the first time
- Stealing the life of the party award from Zero Energy Racing and Rally Baby racing (they earned it)

Racebar started at NJMP in 2016, and since then have been doing Champcar races at VIR. Our relationship with Champcar has been love hate. Love the pit lane presence, the team aspect of the racing, and the common goal of winning, hate the general boring crowd focused on winning at all costs. We have tried at every Champcar race to unapologetically bring our Lemons "People-first" theme into the scene. It instantly divides the crowd into haters and players. Our goal has always been to make the players crowd bigger than the haters crowd and it usually works. BBQ, beer, and a good attitude always goes a long ways.

We were so relieved to be back at Lemons. Everyone is there to have fun! Its easy to fit in. So many awesome great people at this race. It was a truly amazing experience. We didn't deserve the life of the party award. Zero Energy, Rally Baby, the Downforce bar guys, and the Moscow Mule team, as well as every team wearing team colors, handing out drinks, socializing, helping others, playing music, or just generally making the social experience real. Thank you all for this! You are what make Lemons great.

The rollover conversation above is worldclass. That is not how it would have went down in any other racing league. Seriously, put up a go fund me for your car, and I think we could all pitch in to help build a new car. I have so much respect for all parties involved in that incident keeping the conversation clean.

Thank you to everyone for making this event awesome. Our car was pretty fast this time around, which is unusual for us. Hopefully we kept our passes clean and didn't cause any frustration.

flyman3456 wrote:

A bit slow as normal for us, but here is our post race trip report highlights for Racebar:

- The Thursday night impromptu party.
- The Friday morning hate post on our facebook group about the noise the night prior (sorry)

We were directly across from you and loved the music all night.  Fantastic old school at night and waking up to Motorhead is the best!  Loved every second of it.  If the music was keeping people up they obviously didn't drink enough.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

flyman3456 wrote:

Racebar started at NJMP in 2016, and since then have been doing Champcar races at VIR. Our relationship with Champcar has been love hate. Love the pit lane presence, the team aspect of the racing, and the common goal of winning, hate the general boring crowd focused on winning at all costs. We have tried at every Champcar race to unapologetically bring our Lemons "People-first" theme into the scene. It instantly divides the crowd into haters and players. Our goal has always been to make the players crowd bigger than the haters crowd and it usually works. BBQ, beer, and a good attitude always goes a long ways.

I've been at the last 3 CCES events at VIR (orange  B class Honda Prelude) and am glad you guys try to bring some life to the paddock on race weekends.

Some people just don't get Racebar.

Screw those people.

With the exception of a 630 AM very loud wake up call Friday morning (which was corrected quickly), there was no problem with the antics going down.  Your team has the perfect attitude for Lemons.  We were privately worrying you were going to break the rear suspension with the extra ton you put on the car every night, though.   

I thought we were doing OK with 4- 6x9's coming out of our car, then your car started thumping.  That and our senior member complaining that our car was too loud...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

With the exception of a 630 AM very loud wake up call Friday morning (which was corrected quickly), there was no problem with the antics going down.  Your team has the perfect attitude for Lemons.  We were privately worrying you were going to break the rear suspension with the extra ton you put on the car every night, though.   

I thought we were doing OK with 4- 6x9's coming out of our car, then your car started thumping.  That and our senior member complaining that our car was too loud...

I really had wanted to get over and meet you guys. I'm bummed I never did. Loved your car! Sorry for the wakeup call.

flyman3456 wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I really had wanted to get over and meet you guys. I'm bummed I never did. Loved your car! Sorry for the wakeup call.

No worries, I fell right back to sleep.  I did stop by one night, but only stayed a couple minutes.  Are you going to CMP in September?