Topic: Cracked CV Boots

We seem to go through cv boots like burger joint goes through ketchup.  It seems like every other race we have a new split in one of the boots.  Frankly the easiest way to deal with it is to replace the whole axle which for our car is not that expensive, but that's overkill.  Replacing the boot means disassembling one end of the axle.  That's a messy and time consuming job.

I'd like to prevent the problem instead of fixing it over and over.  i was considering getting a bigger universal boot to clamp over the normal boots.  That might provide protection from debris.  Then I found some products that seem to be for this purpose but they are about $40 each. 
https://www.racereadyproducts.com/cv-bo … -boot-kit/
They're like a rubber fabric with straps and velcro to hold them on.  If that would actually stand a chance of working it seems like nearly any fabric would, like ratty old denim.  Since I'm a Lemons guy I have a surplus of ratty old denim.

Has anyone else ever tried to shield cv boots from damage?  Is there something else that is causing them to fail maybe?

Re: Cracked CV Boots

I would focus on figuring out why they're breaking so fast in the first place. Are they cracking in the same place every time? Is there anything it could be rubbing on? If FWD have you removed the engine and then not aligned it right when putting it back in? Do you have an especially large amount of body roll that could be putting the suspension at extremes during corners?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

I would focus on figuring out why they're breaking so fast in the first place. Are they cracking in the same place every time? Is there anything it could be rubbing on? If FWD have you removed the engine and then not aligned it right when putting it back in? Do you have an especially large amount of body roll that could be putting the suspension at extremes during corners?

You forgot the "getting hot causing the boot to balloon out"...not happen to us but a team in the Midwest had issues with this.  Never thought about how tight the seal is but I guess it the trapped air expands enough, a boot that had clearance may no more.

OnkelUdo wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

You forgot the "getting hot causing the boot to balloon out"...not happen to us but a team in the Midwest had issues with this.  Never thought about how tight the seal is but I guess it the trapped air expands enough, a boot that had clearance may no more.

This was mentioned in a mark-specific forum years ago: ballooning boots. The fix that was suggested was to put a length of brake cleaner/carb cleaner spray nozzle straw under the zip tie/clamp so that air could pass through. The straw is long enough to not let dirt to get into it, but if pressure builds inside the boot, it would push out most clogs that may develop in the straw including those from liquefied grease finding it's way into the straw. Either way, it is a very thin passage for air to get out and help eliminate the boot from expanding and tearing/cutting.

5 (edited by ross2004 2019-07-15 10:22 AM)

You may want to try zip ties around the folds of the boot.

http://www.johngeorgeracing.com/gallery/_data/i/upload/2017/03/25/20170325061543-3ffd480f-xl.jpg

You can take the clamp off the thin side. Helps keep the boot from stretching and let's the pressure out. It still seals enough to keep the grease (mostly) in.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

EMPI Makes really nice neoprene boots that are supper supple and bendy, they solved our torn boot problems.  They make them for a ton of cars and list the size for universal application.  We've yet to tear one.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

This thread...this thread has some of the great garage engineering I expect from you fools.

Carry on.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I find heat will kill them and I saw some pic of CV boots with a small tube from brake clean cans coming out of the small end to let the pressure out. I did the same and it worked!!

10 (edited by ukemike 2019-07-26 09:58 PM)

NOPANTSDOUGIE wrote:

EMPI Makes really nice neoprene boots that are supper supple and bendy, they solved our torn boot problems.  They make them for a ton of cars and list the size for universal application.  We've yet to tear one.

This!  I'll check them out.  I already bought some Moog boots to replace the boots that are on there.

I have considered wear or rubbing and I am quite sure that they don't contact anything on the car.  We don't have excessive body roll and I'm sure the engine is in there straight.   I've wondered if I might have pinched them at some point.  It seems like every third thing we do to this car requires that we disassemble the front suspension on one side or the other.  Perhaps I'm over stressing them then.

I had never even considered ballooning!  Seems like the zip ties could make it worse since it couldn't expand, it would just build pressure inside instead and blow out the rubber at a weak spot.

I have had them get torn by Other Peoples Rubber. Doesn't take much to tear a stock boot and a piece of rubber scruff thrown up by cars in front of you will do it. Look at the front profile under the car. Are the boots exposed to debris? Put a valence on the front of the car to deflect stuff coming off the track.

Clean the crack as well as possible with brake cleaner juice. Use this it will adhere if you can clean the grease off.keep what you don’t use in the refrigerator and it will last. Works good for most leaky juices.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ … ckkey=5054

I have the same car that you do and have never had problems with CV boots. My CV joints go bad before the boots tear. Is it always the outer boot? I have brake cooling ducting that puts air on the whole hub including the outer CV joint which I assume keeps it cooler.

I also have zip ties around every fold as the pic above shows. I've never run the tiny hose though

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain