Topic: Tired of crappy harnesses

We will continue to use cheap Gforce or similar camlock harnesses in our IoE and development cars but I have become disenfranchised with some of the  challenges using these in our "forever" car, the 1947 Plymouth.  Seat is on a slider and we have two tall drivers (all the way back) made of wicker, me that requires the seat 4 notches forward and likes beer, and a number of in between guys.  My requirements:

Bolt in install for lap and crotch
Better sliding webbing
Adjusters at or close to the cam lock for lap belts
FIA or inexpensive rewebbing

Suggestions?

Re: Tired of crappy harnesses

You want the Schroth Enduro belts. It fits all your requirements and can be had for <$500 if you get it from EU. I'm sure many others will suggest the same thing. Easy adjusters, silky smooth webbing, pull tabs in all the right places. Get the 2x2 version since you will be using a HANS device of some sort.

We had the Sparco Enrudo belts in our last car and compared to the Scroth it's like night and day.

Schroth belts are amazing. but they cannot be re-certified, so take that into account. I hate our current belts as well, and need to replace them.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Love the Crow we have, it's custom but very similar to their new ENDURO which is basically their version of the Schroth. We went with a 5 point and 2" all around with quick adjusters for easy fitting, but the Enduro looks like an easy one click buy.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Buy the Scroth as FIA certified (5 year rather than the shorter SFI cert). You can have the Scroth rewebbed (not recertified) at the end of the 5 years but the cost is only a little less than buying a new set. I have owned 3 different brands and the Scroth is superior.

https://pyrotectstore.com/product/ultra … ck-harness

Have used these for 3 races and really like them.  We had to go with pull down laps due to our seat, but all the adjusters work really well, the eye bolts fit into the factory belt mounting points.  Based on suggestions here, we bolted the sub belts to the bottom of the seat hardware so they slide with the seat as needed.  Very happy with them,  I bet Schroth are nicer, as others, but for under $300, I think they are great. 

My understanding is that Pyrotect is trying to step up on their belts so this is a relatively new offering. 

OH, also FIA, so ours are good through something like 2024, I think.

bilcoh wrote:

https://pyrotectstore.com/product/ultra … ck-harness

Have used these for 3 races and really like them.  We had to go with pull down laps due to our seat, but all the adjusters work really well, the eye bolts fit into the factory belt mounting points.  Based on suggestions here, we bolted the sub belts to the bottom of the seat hardware so they slide with the seat as needed.  Very happy with them,  I bet Schroth are nicer, as others, but for under $300, I think they are great. 

My understanding is that Pyrotect is trying to step up on their belts so this is a relatively new offering. 

OH, also FIA, so ours are good through something like 2024, I think.

This looks more on our requirements as (listed requirement was bolt in ends) https://pyrotectstore.com/product/formu … ck-harness

moparfan wrote:

Buy the Scroth as FIA certified (5 year rather than the shorter SFI cert). You can have the Scroth rewebbed (not recertified) at the end of the 5 years but the cost is only a little less than buying a new set. I have owned 3 different brands and the Scroth is superior.

recert = reweb with belts. Who did you find that would do it? Because when our FIA Schroth reached end of life everyone said that it couldn't be done.

You almost always want pull down. Pull up belts require a very specific setup to work right without the adjuster fouling on the seat or it just being too difficult to tighten. We have pull up belts right now and they are just awful. Pyrotect is making better stuff, but their lap adjusters still look the same as the set I bought in 2011, and they were not amazing.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

gus wrote:

You want the Schroth Enduro belts. It fits all your requirements and can be had for <$500 if you get it from EU. I'm sure many others will suggest the same thing. Easy adjusters, silky smooth webbing, pull tabs in all the right places. Get the 2x2 version since you will be using a HANS device of some sort.

We had the Sparco Enrudo belts in our last car and compared to the Scroth it's like night and day.

Another vote for Schroth Enduro.  They ain't cheap, but they are worth it IMO.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Safecraft 5010.  I like them better than the Schroth Enduros, the adjusters are more compact, they can be configured however you like with respect to terminations and number of anti-sub belts, and my last reweb was $75.  My first reweb was free.  I don't know if they still do that or not.

Also known as Safecraft Spec Miata harnesses and available from various sources, but I'd suggest contacting Safecraft directly and having a chat about which features you want.

https://www.safecraftracing.com/

Thanks for the input guys.  Ordered the Schroth Endure from Demon Tweaks for $489 delivered.  Will take a few extra days but next race we need them for is in October.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Thanks for the input guys.  Ordered the Schroth Endure from Demon Tweaks for $489 delivered.  Will take a few extra days but next race we need them for is in October.

Great choice! For that price you probably got the "UPS Export Express" shipping? I get parts from them within 3 days with that shipping option.
Beware of the cheaper "P2P" options which get handed between a few carriers and eventually get delivered after a week or two by USPS.

Only issue I had with the Schroth was they did not have as much adjustment in the shoulder belts as our G-Force belts.  Our drivers vary so much in size that we need all the adjustment possible, and the Schroth shoulder belts had about 4" to 6" less.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I guess I'm a little late to this, but I have noticed a little more issue with variance in driver size. I've also had an issue where the pull tab for the lap belts are just the right length where they want to be pulled through the hole in the seat, but there's not enough belt to get a good hold of them.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

As someone who checks driver belts regularly, the Schroth belts really seem to make a ton of difference. They are easy to tighten and seem to stay put better than others.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

VanillaHaze wrote:

I guess I'm a little late to this, but I have noticed a little more issue with variance in driver size. I've also had an issue where the pull tab for the lap belts are just the right length where they want to be pulled through the hole in the seat, but there's not enough belt to get a good hold of them.

This is the exact issue with the Borcherding brothers and Jeff with our cheap harnesses.  Put Albert or me in after Mark B and you are good.  Putting Mark B in after me, means I only use me and Randy to do the belting because there is a process.

17 (edited by OnkelUdo 2019-08-02 04:42 PM)

On a side note...I am almost ready to go to higher quality latch and link belts over "Geforce grade" cam locks on our IoE contender cars.  Speed of driver change is a non-issue and you get better adjustability.  Who cares if only three members of the team can remember the complex sequence of lap, crotch, shoulder, shoulder from on race to the next?  I swear I could write it on the steering wheel and 4 out of 7 drivers would get it wrong at least once a driver change.  Its like they never flew an airplane!

Edit: also acceptable would be crotch, lap, shoulder, shoulder on most belts.

http://www.racequip.com/seatbeltsharnes … esses.html these are what we got. fantastic belts. I paid around $250 for 2" FIA 5 year belts. I don't remember where.

my boss just got a brand new set of Schroth enduro belts and said he will never do that again. he likes mine just as well and, they take less effort to adjust.

Owner/Captain of The 27 Club E46. Phoenix, AZ
and now the #95 Thunderbird

Guildenstern wrote:

Love the Crow we have, it's custom but very similar to their new ENDURO which is basically their version of the Schroth. We went with a 5 point and 2" all around with quick adjusters for easy fitting, but the Enduro looks like an easy one click buy.

Love our Crow harness as well!  In our ignorance we bought a pull up harness when we needed a pull down harness.  I sent an email to their customer service and ended up talking to the owner over the phone.  They were extremely helpful in getting us a better setup.  I'm honestly blown away by how well we were treated.
Their recert costs are also reasonable.  Wouldn't go to anyone else.

Sam

Rusty Tear Racing "Rally" Fiero
2010 Stafford 2011 Summit, Stafford 2012 Loudon, Loudon Class C Win!
2013 Monticello, Loudon, Loudon 2014 NJMP, Loudon 2015 NJMP, Thompson