Topic: Radio Tips

We are a new team planning to run at CMP in September. Initially I figured to just use a pit board for communication, mostly because I know nothing about radios. Other team members seem keen on having radios for communication. I need some help in deciding on how to go.

I assume there are a limited number of frequencies available at the track. How do teams get "their own" frequency, or do multiple teams use the same frequency?

I have seen a list of Lemons channels - are there details on how to program radios to those channels? What are they all for?

How are the radios mounted in the car - or does the driver "wear" them?

One person recommended buying BaoFeng Radios and programming them for Lemons. Being a complete idiot in this area, I have no idea if this is workable or how it is done.

Ed

Re: Radio Tips

Hey Charles. I've put together an Amazon list as a reasonably priced, GMRS based communications kit. I don't make any money if anyone buys of this list, it's purely informational: https://www.amazon.com/ideas/amzn1.acco … cp_vl_ov_d

All you have to worry about is getting a GMRS license. Technically everyone on your team should (if they aren't family members) but that's pretty fudge-able.

As for "Lemons" channels: there's no such thing. Lemons sells Rugged Radios that are pre-programmed to business band channels that require a license you won't be able to get. They've called them "Lemons" in the name but there's nothing about them that is specific to Lemons. Can you still use them? Yes, but not legally. And Lemons won't be there to back you up if you get in trouble for doing so.

I HIGHLY recommend sticking to GMRS.

As for the mechanics of it... we mount the radio in the car, then each driver has a helmet kit that has a plug pigtail sticking out. That get connected to the radio pigtail. There's also a button on the steering wheel that you use to push-to-talk. Then, of course, an antenna on the roof. Typically magnetic mount, but you can also drill a hole and install them that way...

Here's another topic that covers a lot related to this package: https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36642

4 (edited by gus 2019-08-11 06:00 PM)

You have a few good options for radios, depending on how much you value your time/effort.

Option 1, Easy, $600+ -> Buy a complete setup from the Sampson Racing Radios (Lemons store, Rugged Radios for lower quality). Plug it all together and go racing.

Option 2, Moderate Effort, $200+ -> Piece together a DIY plug and play setup using the good suggestions from Aaron. Programming radios isn't too hard, especially if you can get a file from someone. You will eventually have issues with connectors and cables so get some spares.

Option 3, High Effort+Quality, $250+ -> Take Option 2 and replace all the connectors with quality made-for-purpose connectors. Build your own in-car harness for the PTT button and the helmet headset jack extension cable. Here's an Amazon list of what I used for the two cars I've run in Lemons: http://a.co/e0cdXQw
I use quality brand-name 1/4" connectors from DigiKey as those Amazon ones fail eventually:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=sc3486-nd
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=sc1040-nd

I went for option 3 since electronics is what I do all day, and I ended up with a higher quality system than the expensive setups from Option 1. It will take a good few hours of careful soldering, splicing, heat-shrinking though.

I've started piecing together a digital radio system using components sourced directly from China, but that list isn't ready for prime-time yet. The quality and range of a digital system is very encouraging though.

Some general tips for radio systems:
- All the options above use the exact same radios. The $85 blue "Rugged" radios are just pre-programmed Bagfeng UV-5R's which are $25 on Amazon. Learn to program radios and save yourself $60 per radio. Charging a premium for pre-programming illegal frequencies is deceptive and I wouldn't encourage it.
- Have extra components on hand for Option 2 or 3 (and 1 if you're made of money). I carry a few extra helmet headsets and car harnesses to each race because they are cheap insurance if something fails.
- A quality brand name roof mount antenna will do wonders for your reception at the track.
- For the sake of yours and everyone else's sanity, use BCL (Busy Channel Lockout). This blocks your from stepping over others on your frequency. If you transmit over someone there's a good change your message won't be received at the other end, so it's best to just transmit when the channel is clear.
- We used to hard-wire our radio into the cars 12V system, but found it a pain to not have radio comms during red flags or starting grids when the car was off. We just use the battery in the radio now and it lasts all day.
- Radios fail sometimes, have regular check-ins and discuss a backup communications strategy with your drivers.
- Mount the radio within reach of the driver so they can adjust the volume to their sensitive ears smile

I made a couple videos that might be helpful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6yBmJShgKQ

Another option is to buy a pair of Baofeng's UV-5Rs via Amazon, along with a battery eliminator, and external antenna.  Next contact Troy at Nerdie Racing and he will sell you a wiring harness for the car, and kit's for each driver's helmet.  He's a fellow Lemons racer, and he's BTDT, and know what works and what doesn't.

I second having backup supplies.  Even with their unlimited budget, even the NASCAR boys have radio problems quite often.  Radios just seem to be a fickle b*tch sometimes.  We keep a spare of just about everything.

If you are a by-the-book rule's type group, you'll technically need an FCC license to operate the Baofeng's legally on the non FRS frequencies.  In reality, as long as you don't step on any of the first responder frequencies, you'll more than likely be just fine.  Most of the first responders are digital anyway, but I guess it's still possible to interfere. 

Unlike some teams who like to read the stock reports, discuss the weather, debate the next election, etc over the radio, we use the radio to tell the driver when we are ready for him to pit.  The driver typically only radios if he has a problem so we can be ready to assist.  Translation, we probably have a total air time of 10 minutes over the entire weekend.

As for the debate do you need a radio or not, IMO it's a must have.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

7 (edited by TheEngineer 2019-08-12 07:55 AM)

A couple points for the radio noobs. (note, I am not an expert, these are just things I've learned along the way)

If you're going to go with a programmable radio, you need to know a few things first.
1. The UV-5r radios, they are a grey area of legality. They can be programmed in a way that does make you 100% illegal using them. the can be programmed to be almost legal on the public areas, but they technically still dont' match all requirements. They will let you broadcast on frequencies that you should never broadcast on, like the NOAA weather stations. They require you do your homework before use.

2. Frequencies. There is a band of frequencies called FRS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service) that do not require a licence to use, but they have restrictions. You can't broadcast with more than 2watts, and the radios can't have removable antenna (where the UV-5R fails to meet the rules).

GMRS channels (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_M … io_Service) are shared with FRS for the most part, but you are allowed to broadcast with more power. You are supposed to get a license from the FCC, which is easy enough to get. A lot of people fail to get one because they flat out don't know, or are ok with the risk. You can buy a GMRS radio in a store and never be told to get a license after all.

There are also busness bands, commercial bands, MURS, and others that all require their own homework to determine how they are legal to use (if at all in our application)

The easiest path is to just stick to GMRS and make sure you're programmed to meet the rules of the frequencies.

An Important note on privacy codes, since a LOT of teams have no idea how they work. What they do not do is create your own private channel that doesn't interfere with anyone else. If you have a privacy code set, all it does is add a tone to the broadcast. Other radios, if set to the same code, will not pass the broadcast to the speaker unless it hears that tone. However you're still on that base channel, and anyone with no code set will still hear anything sent with the code turned on. As a result you get 5+ teams on the same channel, all with codes turned on, all trying to talk over each other because they don't realize they're still sharing a channel.

Mounting in the car.
There's a few ways to do it. They sell metal boxes with foam that radios go in. They're simple and effective, but you can't see the screen if that matters to you. Examples here https://pitstopusa.com/c-131995-cockpit … boxes.html

Or you can just find something to zip tie the radio to.

I made a bracket that the Uv-5r clips into that can be 3d printed, because I like over-complicated solutions. Links are in this thread https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … ?id=37228l

Headsets
There's a few ways to do headsets. But the best is to make one or buy from someone like nerdie racing. We use motorcycle style speakers because then we can still use real ear plugs and don't have to worry about ear buds falling out. In the thread with the 3d printed mount I have my wiring diagram for making headsets.

Car harness
If you're mounting the radio in the car, you need to be able to connect and disconnect a driver to the system. Again the easy way is to make your own harness. The UV-5r radios use a combination of a 3.5mm and 2.5mm jack (I think it's the kenwood standard). you need a couple resistors and capacitors in the system too. Again, wiring diagram for the harness I've been using without issues for years is in that above link.

Keep asking questions. Radios can be complicated if they're not something you've dove into before, but it's straight forward once you do a little homework and ask.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

VKZ24 wrote:

Another option is to buy a pair of Baofeng's UV-5Rs via Amazon, along with a battery eliminator, and external antenna.  Next contact Troy at Nerdie Racing and he will sell you a wiring harness for the car, and kit's for each driver's helmet.  He's a fellow Lemons racer, and he's BTDT, and know what works and what doesn't.

I second having backup supplies.  Even with their unlimited budget, even the NASCAR boys have radio problems quite often.  Radios just seem to be a fickle b*tch sometimes.  We keep a spare of just about everything.

If you are a by-the-book rule's type group, you'll technically need an FCC license to operate the Baofeng's legally on the non FRS frequencies.  In reality, as long as you don't step on any of the first responder frequencies, you'll more than likely be just fine.  Most of the first responders are digital anyway, but I guess it's still possible to interfere. 

Unlike some teams who like to read the stock reports, discuss the weather, debate the next election, etc over the radio, we use the radio to tell the driver when we are ready for him to pit.  The driver typically only radios if he has a problem so we can be ready to assist.  Translation, we probably have a total air time of 10 minutes over the entire weekend.

As for the debate do you need a radio or not, IMO it's a must have.

To be clear, the Baofengs are only legal to use on the amateur 70cm and 2m frequencies and each user must have an amateur license, they are not legal to use on FRS, GMRS, MURS, etc.  That being said, if you stick to the GMRS frequencies you will probably never get caught.  I have never heard anyone use a call sign on any of those and they don't travel far at 5 watts.  We used GMRS for our first few races on Baofengs.

The UV-5RTP supposedly is 8 watts versus 5 watts for extra power.  Get an antenna like the Nagoya NA-771 or NA-701 and it will work a lot better, the stock antenna sucks.

A couple of us on my team have amateur licenses and switched to the amateur bands.  Nerdie racing made me a great harness and a bunch of helmet kits for us.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

VKZ24 wrote:

+1 to radios.  You're on one side of the track with your pit board, car comes in and you spend the next 2-3 minutes waiting for them to come around again before you realize they're in the pit or paddock, wondering where everyone is.  And that's only if it worked and they saw it. 

+1 also for nerdyracing.  I got a setup from him a few months back and it's worked great for us.  Much better than when we tried the cheap bubble-pack Motorola's.  Still trying to figure out the channel thing myself though, but this is a great head start.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

I will be the naysayer.  We stopped using radios in the traditional sense and few other teams have as well.  Truth is, it was a hassle.  Same reason we use a cool seat instead of a cool shirt...no extra connections.

Clock on the dash (or in the dash) tells you when to come in.

Radio in reach of the driver...hit the music button if you are coming in early.

So if the team needs to contact the driver you use a pit board?

5.3: Pit Communication: Every team must have a reliable way to signal its driver on track. A pit board (homemade is fine) is acceptable, as is a helmet-wired radio system. No loose or hand-held receivers are allowed in the car.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

12 (edited by Fishah 2019-08-12 12:47 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

5.3: Pit Communication: Every team must have a reliable way to signal its driver on track. A pit board (homemade is fine) is acceptable, as is a helmet-wired radio system. No loose or hand-held receivers are allowed in the car.

Yes.

Never felt the need for a radio.

I would recommend that new teams focus on other, much more important stuff, first.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Guildenstern wrote:

We have one (somewhere in the trailer)...won't say we use it.

I'd have to say that at the tracks we typically run (CMP, Barber, RA) my team could have a pit board that was a 4'x8' sheet of plywood with flashing lights and I'd never see it at speed.

We use radios, but when they flake out, which is about 10% of the time, we use the clock in the car as a backup plan.

Captain

whether a radio is important is really a personal preference. I'll never not use one personally. We aren't chatty, we probably have like 5 minutes of radio total all day, but I wouldn't give up the radio for anything. Being able to tell the driver that we're walking onto the hot pits and we'll be at the start of the hot pits is so helpful to the driver who's searching through a sea of people in the same blue suits with white helmets. It's also helpful for relaying issues back to the pits so the rest of the team can get back to the garage and be ready to fix a problem.

We've run races without radios, and it's just stressful to us. If other teams make it work, great, good for them. But for us, radios are mandatory, and I wish our radio setup had been good when we first started to reduce some stress.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

whether a radio is important is really a personal preference. I'll never not use one personally. We aren't chatty, we probably have like 5 minutes of radio total all day, but I wouldn't give up the radio for anything. Being able to tell the driver that we're walking onto the hot pits and we'll be at the start of the hot pits is so helpful to the driver who's searching through a sea of people in the same blue suits with white helmets. It's also helpful for relaying issues back to the pits so the rest of the team can get back to the garage and be ready to fix a problem.

We've run races without radios, and it's just stressful to us. If other teams make it work, great, good for them. But for us, radios are mandatory, and I wish our radio setup had been good when we first started to reduce some stress.

Totally agree on the personal preference.

Lack of two way radio communication has caused no additional stress on my team.  We had a (mostly) well functioning setup for years but then...as drivers cycled in and out and started running two cars more often it grew to be a hassle with little to no value. 

If you are coming in on the hook...what are we going to do until you get here?  If you are coming into the penalty box, we will still meet you there.  If you are coming in early due to issues...hit the button mentioned (actually, supposed to do that no matter what if coming in).

Not sure what the stressor for you is but we have not experienced it.

17 (edited by aaron.vogel 2019-08-12 02:03 PM)

Man, I'd totally forgot about Nerdie Racing... I just went back and looked... their prices are pretty good. For a NASCAR connector car kit + 4 helmet kits you're talking $250 with shipping... if you pair that with a couple BTECH (Baofeng) MURS radios and a car mount you're done for just over $350... no license or programming concerns... easy peasy.

http://nerdieracing.com/2015-Nerdie-NAS … m-0001.htm

+

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1-Ma … s9dHJ1ZQ==

As for the necessity of radios... IDK... I like having the whole team apprised of the situation, particularly in cases that OnkelUdo brings up... Our first couple times out we had a few hiccups in our setup, but after got it sorted out it really is pretty low-effort. And actually helps with

We have run three races without using the radios and I'd say if you are a newbie  team,  then it isn't needed.  If you are trying to WIN then you need them to cut time off your pit stops.  Otherwise a clock does the job and if you come in early, someone will notice sooner or later..

If you watched my video, you will see my approach is using speakers for output and a throat mic that is shared for input, so nobody has to jack up their helmet or worry about compatibility, and this makes it
simple and cheap.
This setup is not good for conversation, but works to pass messages.

It was all setup for the last race, but we didn't bother to use it.   
Probably going to use it for the next race, as this time we are going for the WIN.  wink

If you have someone on the team who wants to be the "Radio Man/Woman", then go for it
We set one up, but being the sole owner, it is too much extra work and hassle.  And not popular on my team.  And I am perfectly content driving with out it....it is a bit of a distraction, one more think to worry about
We have a clock and agree on a set time to pit.  If there is a problem, just come into our garage, or tent.
BUT
I really think camera, wired to the car, easy to turn on/off while wearing your helmet & gloves (GoPro buttons are a pain), mounted well, with enough memory for the full race,  is really worth it.  So many times there were instances I wish I had a camera (like when my steering wheel came off because I did not lock it in...and just drove it into the dirt holding the column!)...and fantastic videos of others (like when their fire extinguisher flew off and went off, etc.)
And it is great if someone on your team has a crash to see what exactly happened (like the recent amazing, thank God no one was hurt, accident)
And everyone on our team loves to get a thumb drive after the race with a video of them driving....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

OnkelUdo wrote:

Totally agree on the personal preference.

Lack of two way radio communication has caused no additional stress on my team.  We had a (mostly) well functioning setup for years but then...as drivers cycled in and out and started running two cars more often it grew to be a hassle with little to no value. 

If you are coming in on the hook...what are we going to do until you get here?  If you are coming into the penalty box, we will still meet you there.  If you are coming in early due to issues...hit the button mentioned (actually, supposed to do that no matter what if coming in).

Not sure what the stressor for you is but we have not experienced it.

The stress for us came from the daytona days when we broke a lot. We had a few races where the radios didn't work right, and something would happen, the car would come in, and the driver would find that everyone was off somewhere else trying to watch the race, so they had to get out and fix the car alone until someone else noticed the car wasn't on track anymore and came back. It was annoying. And other things like trying to find your team mates on the hot pits when everyone out there has the same blue suit and white helmet, we've had the driver blow by the waiting crew before.

It's just nicer to have the radios for us. Everyone grabs a radio if they leave the garage now, so if something happens they can hear and come back. For fueling stops the driver can be told exactly where to look. If something is funky with the car the driver can report back and ask if it's worth coming in or not. All around it just makes race weekend easier on us.

Like I said, we aren't on the radio much at all. We radio check the driver when they get in. They'll call in once or twice with car status updates if they feel like it. At the end of the stint we'll call the driver to say we're walking to the hot pits, and then again to say we're ready for them and where we are. that's mostly it. But those small bits of communication do help us out a lot. I get that not everyone needs it, and that's cool.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

We had a few races where the radios didn't work right, and something would happen, the car would come in, and the driver would find that everyone was off somewhere else trying to watch the race, so they had to get out and fix the car alone until someone else noticed the car wasn't on track anymore and came back. It was annoying. And other things like trying to find your team mates on the hot pits when everyone out there has the same blue suit and white helmet, we've had the driver blow by the waiting crew before.

It's just nicer to have the radios for us. Everyone grabs a radio if they leave the garage now, so if something happens they can hear and come back. For fueling stops the driver can be told exactly where to look. If something is funky with the car the driver can report back and ask if it's worth coming in or not. All around it just makes race weekend easier on us.

Like I said, we aren't on the radio much at all. We radio check the driver when they get in. They'll call in once or twice with car status updates if they feel like it. At the end of the stint we'll call the driver to say we're walking to the hot pits, and then again to say we're ready for them and where we are. that's mostly it. But those small bits of communication do help us out a lot. I get that not everyone needs it, and that's cool.

This is our situation almost exactly.   

At our last race we were doing well when the driver radioed in that the throttle was hung on wide open and he was coming in.  We had been having issues with the throttle body the last two races so we knew what to expect when he arrived.  As it turned out, the TB fell OFF (yikes!) but we had another set of bolts and tools at the ready for a quick stop, and were able to get him back out quickly.  Without a radio, he would have been sitting in the paddock wondering where we all were.

I think it's worth noting that if you don't care where you place, you don't need a radio, or even a transponder right?  Kind of like those kids who play games where nobody is allowed to keep score.  As for us, the stars would all have to align perfectly for us to get an actual overall win, but we have had a 3rd, and a few top 5's.  We always try to do the best we can, without being too serious to the point of not having any fun.  Radios certainly help in our case, but to each his own.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

We had a few races where the radios didn't work right, and something would happen, the car would come in, and the driver would find that everyone was off somewhere else trying to watch the race, so they had to get out and fix the car alone until someone else noticed the car wasn't on track anymore and came back. It was annoying. And other things like trying to find your team mates on the hot pits when everyone out there has the same blue suit and white helmet, we've had the driver blow by the waiting crew before.

This is our situation almost exactly.   

At our last race we were doing well when the driver radioed in that the throttle was hung on wide open and he was coming in.  We had been having issues with the throttle body the last two races so we knew what to expect when he arrived.  As it turned out, the TB fell OFF (yikes!) but we had another set of bolts and tools at the ready for a quick stop, and were able to get him back out quickly.  Without a radio, he would have been sitting in the paddock wondering where we all were.

I think it's worth noting that if you don't care where you place, you don't need a radio, or even a transponder right?  Kind of like those kids who play games where nobody is allowed to keep score.  As for us, the stars would all have to align perfectly for us to get an actual overall win, but we have had a 3rd, and a few top 5's.  We always try to do the best we can, without being too serious to the point of not having any fun.  Radios certainly help in our case, but to each his own.

We have struggled with radios and almost given up with them. I think you need at least one person dedicated to maintenance, making sure everyone has their helmet kits and that they are all working etc. My theory (mostly out of frustration) was that if we need to radio in we are out of contention anyway as our chances of winning require a perfect race with no additional stops at all. We will keep tying to get a good working solution.  We did manage to sneak an overall win without working radios because everything did go right. We got damn lucky, I went out first and realized that there were some small adjustments to brake bias and suspension that needed to be made for the next driver and would have struggled to get these done without losing time. Luckily as my pit window opened up the track went black for 30 minutes giving me ample time to make the adjustments. If we had radios and the track stayed hot I could have at least had the team prepped to make the adjustments.
I see them now as a necessary evil!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the Nerdie plugs. Sorry I have not logged in a while to catch this sooner.

We're competitive and comms help with that from pit stop organization to cat herding. We have issues from time to time but they work most of the time.

The cigarette plug jiggled loose at NOLA and was out of reach killing my comms. I need to fix that boo boo.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Things like that are why I've never considered using a battery eliminator. I want the radio to work when the car is off, or if wiring fails, or whatever. The standard battery from the UV-5R lasts all weekend for us even now that it's 5 years old.

However, the UV-5R will charge while on in the charging base. I've been meaning to pull a charging base apart and build it into a car mount so i can run the charger with a battery and have the best of both worlds.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:

Things like that are why I've never considered using a battery eliminator. I want the radio to work when the car is off, or if wiring fails, or whatever.

We hardwired the battery eliminator to the car, so it eliminates Troy's problem with the cigarette lighter plug.  He was just being lazy.  wink

Captain