Re: Radio Tips

VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Things like that are why I've never considered using a battery eliminator. I want the radio to work when the car is off, or if wiring fails, or whatever.

We hardwired the battery eliminator to the car, so it eliminates Troy's problem with the cigarette lighter plug.  He was just being lazy.  wink

I tried that, but the wires in the eliminator are to damn small of a gauge for me to successfully connect to anything.  I went back to the cigarette lighter plug and taped the two ends together.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Things like that are why I've never considered using a battery eliminator. I want the radio to work when the car is off, or if wiring fails, or whatever.

We hardwired the battery eliminator to the car, so it eliminates Troy's problem with the cigarette lighter plug.  He was just being lazy.  wink

I tried that, but the wires in the eliminator are to damn small of a gauge for me to successfully connect to anything.  I went back to the cigarette lighter plug and taped the two ends together.

I've hardwired some battery eliminators before and the wiring was tiny so I stick with the lighter plugs. Those can also get rusty inside.

Some of the Baofeng high capacity batteries have a charge port on the side.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Our luck is such that when we have electrical problems, the whole car goes dead. Meaning we have issues that would take out a radio that was on a battery eliminator, which is right when I'd want a radio. I'll stick with the batteries and probably add a charger based off the main charging bases at some point. But for now, my original 5+ year old uv-5r on the original battery still gets us through a weekend with no charging.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Another reason I like the battery eliminator is I just double side taped the eliminator to my dash.  Then I just slide the radio in and connect the plugs. No mount required.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon