Topic: Clutch life

I realize there are a lot of factors into life of consumable parts, but how many race hours are teams getting out of their clutches?  We have a higher grade street clutch that was put in about a year ago.  We just finished our first race, but the car is dailyed as well.  When should we expect to pull the engine and transmission to replace the clutch?

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Re: Clutch life

Our clutches tend to outlive the engines, by a lot.  Honda DelSol, with a B series swap is coming close to 10 races.  I haven't touched the clutch since I built it.  It has a Excedy Stage 1 organic in it.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

5.0 L.O. we go about 5 races per "Heavy Duty" Clutch but we pre-emptively change it. So it probably has a race or 2 left when we get uncomfortable.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Saturn SC2...infinity if the friction material does not fall off the Autozone clutch plate (first race...did I think 15 after that on one clutch). 

Buick 3800 SC to T5...intermittent failures unlikely related to the actual clutch  (stuck in 4th for day for examples).

Buick 3800 NA in a Dustbuster minivan with Cavalier manual...I think we are at about 9 races and have not checked it.

Unless you have a driver doing RealRacer (TM) things or it was under designed from the factory, carry a spare and just check condition any time the engine or transmission are out.

Not a ton of wear out on clutches during races. Getting started, driving through pit Lane, and putting it on the trailer, probably wear it more than a race.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Huskar wrote:

I realize there are a lot of factors into life of consumable parts, but how many race hours are teams getting out of their clutches?  We have a higher grade street clutch that was put in about a year ago.  We just finished our first race, but the car is dailyed as well.  When should we expect to pull the engine and transmission to replace the clutch?

Nobody else noticed that he says it's DD duty also?

Clutches will last a good long time on the track, but man, youre really daily driving your racer? Cool!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:
Huskar wrote:

Nobody else noticed that he says it's DD duty also?

Clutches will last a good long time on the track, but man, youre really daily driving your racer? Cool!

I caught that too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z