Topic: Fuel cell pickup

We are switching to a fuel cell and are planning on using the existing inline pump.  How much better is a surge tank than the standard duck foot pickup?  The surge tank is still cheaper that a Holley Hydromat but is a surge tank more useful if you have an in tank pump?

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Re: Fuel cell pickup

The duck feet are terrible.

The cheaper alternative to the hydromat is the walbro pucks. Buy 4, build a tubing network to link them all together to the main feed port, and stick one in each corner of the fuel cell. Make sure you buy one with a bleed hole. They will close off when exposed to air to prevent you pulling air into the fuel system when you start getting low, and if you don't have one with a bleed hole you can cause the whole system to lock shut. If you use one bleed hole puck you prevent that. all kinds of info here. https://www.autoperformanceengineering. … ckups.html

we've been using them since we got a cell, a while before the hydromat was a thing, and they're awesome. We emtpy the cell to 1gallon or less left, and they give about a lap of warning before the engine refuses to run anymore.

never used a surge tank, plenty of others can weight in on one though.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

External surge tank is against the rules.

external is, yes, but you can have one inside the cell. You need some way to feed it, usually with a low pressure in tank pump.

The pucks I mention work with an external in line pump and no in tank pump, that's how we've been running ours forever.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

They way oem tanks solve the slosh is having a 'surge' tank that the fuel pump sits in, that fills up with fuel from gravity and then does not flow back out.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--uxbIPcleeI/VhHMBiwOjAI/AAAAAAAAHh4/urfywD10Hwg/s800-Ic42/IMAG0848.jpg

nimblemotorsports wrote:

They way oem tanks solve the slosh is having a 'surge' tank that the fuel pump sits in, that fills up with fuel from gravity and then does not flow back out.

Also, with a return style fuel system the return line often feeds/returns to the factory surge tank.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

Also, with a return style fuel system the return line often feeds/returns to the factory surge tank.

I have no empirical evidence but commons sense (as applied to crap can racing, no real life) tells me I want my return fuel mixing with the largest volume of fuel possible...so this would be a negative in my book.

Except fuel not in your surge tank is fuel that doesn't exist as far as the fuel pump is concerned. Hot is better than none.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I have a hydra mat I am willing to sell
We switched to an in tank fuel pump

So it is lightly used
Holly 16-107
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-16-107/

Located in west michigan
Make offer.
And I can bring it to the gingerman race this weekend

Flying Pigs Racing, 1987 Ford Mustang
You came in that thing, you are braver than I thought, Porsche 944 / T-bird TC drivetrain (with Darth Vadar on the roof)
MonteCrappo, 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo 3800 V6