Topic: Question about effective seat butt height...

Our cars are short, and we have a couple tallish drivers. Seat height where your butt goes is a big deal so that we don't push the helmet out past the roof bars according to the rulebook. (Layback angle also seems to play a big role, but that's another question.)

So my question is about whether I can optimize the fit based on seat choice. Currently I'm looking for either a Kirkey series 65 (fixed aluminum flat bottom with a pad), or possibly a Corbeau Forza (unfixed bottom with a pad riding on springy wires...see pic below).

https://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/miata-parts-sale-trade-5/115309d1402415868-corbeau-seats-%24325-p1020485_zpsef816ecf.jpg

So, does anyone know whether the effective height at which your butt rides differs much between these two options? Which one would sit higher? If neither of these is the lowest, what other seat should I consider?

Captain of AFART Racing - 1987 and 1988 Toyota Supras
Captain of McDads/AFART Racing -1977 Lancia Scorpion (IOE Winner Sears Pointless 2021... wait, really?? YES, REALLY!!).
Captain of 42 Hours of MeLons (2013-14) - Vattenmelon Vagn 1984 Volvo 240, B-Class Winner: Arse-Freeze 2014

Re: Question about effective seat butt height...

zanzabar88 wrote:

So, does anyone know whether the effective height at which your butt rides differs much between these two options? Which one would sit higher? If neither of these is the lowest, what other seat should I consider?

Depends on if you are mounting it on sliders or the rear mount goes straight to the floor.  The Kirkey mount on sliders can be theoretically lower if you have enough width to do 90 degree bracket attaching to the sides of the seat.

Re: Question about effective seat butt height...

I cut 3 of 4 sides of the floor pan in the corvegge and dropped the seat pan down angling it at the back and welded in metal to fill in the wedged sides and a strip across the back. Reinforced it from underneath. Worked well when the cage couldn't go up any more.