1 (edited by phyveaux 2019-10-03 09:14 AM)

Topic: 3.4.G.2 Battery rule change “substantial metal strongly retained”

We are finishing up getting ready for Gingerman next week. We almost missed this rule change for this year. Our battery is solidly retained by the OEM factory mount which was never questioned before by the judges. New rule adds the metal across the top.  With limited space around the battery in the Mark VIII we are looking at some options to get ourselves in spec. One idea is the use of all-thread on either side of the battery, through the chassis and backed up by washers/nuts underneath and then a 1.5”-2” steel plate across the top and secured to the all-thread with nuts and washers there also. Is this acceptable, or do we need to figure out some way for a U shaped bracket to go up over and back down over the battery. If I can get an image to work, hopefully you can see the all-thread plan. This would be in addition to the OEM bracket of course.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eP6oEA … J6B6y/view

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/58-_wZkOcAwTjYNkBSdxX91bqbTfP9WyKvPYF3oVqZAbr0cNaCQ0ADIYOOGbKOPMfsYMa1My37z-DIFT6OB6=w2224-h1444

IOE Fall Gingerman 2018 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Re: 3.4.G.2 Battery rule change “substantial metal strongly retained”

All thread with a bar across the top is fine, it's what a lot of teams do. We had to do the same thing to our OEM bottom mount.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

"All batteries must be fully secured via proper, purpose-built battery brackets, battery frames, or factory body mounts. The top of the battery must be held down by at least one piece of substantial metal that’s strongly retained on both ends, and there must be absolutely no relative movement between the battery and the rest of the car."

Wow just looked at that, Did they forget to erase one of the sentences when they wrote the other?

That being said, don't trust the clamp on the bottom of the battery case style battery holder. A bar and some all thread does the job swell. Be mindful of the terminals of course. Otherwise your battery mount solution will be short lived and.......eventful.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I like angle iron for the crossbar; that's what we've been using for years.

5 (edited by Bayley 2019-10-04 07:33 AM)

"The top of the battery must be held down by at least one piece of substantial metal..."

Why would you want to mandate a giant conductive piece of metal anywhere near a couple of battery terminals that are capable of producing more than a dozen kilowatts of energy?!

This seems like a very bad idea.   

There's a reason marine applications use non-metallic cloth straps across the top of all batteries.

The Pentastar whisperer

Bayley wrote:

"The top of the battery must be held down by at least one piece of substantial metal..."

Why would you want to mandate a giant conductive piece of metal anywhere near a couple of battery terminals that are capable of producing more than a dozen kilowatts of energy?!

This seems like a very bad idea.   

There's a reason marine applications use non-metallic cloth straps across the top of all batteries.

If I had to guess, it's probably because:

1: Terminal covers are a thing
B: If your battery hold down can move and strike the terminals, you have other issues - like a 50 pound projectile full of acid in your race car
IV: Marine applications don't usually have BMWs doing their best Dale impression and pulling a "pass in the grass" to send you and your car into oblivion.

Liha zakonnykh ukrayinskykh biznesmeniv.
Ford Pinto Wagon 1972 roku – heroyichne vypravlennya, Memorial Toni Svona 2019 roku
Subaru Outback Sport 2007 - rehionalna premiya, NHMS 2020 - OnlyLamms.com
"My vzyaly zelenyy i kartatyy, ale vse mizh tsym bulo dosyt skhematychno."