Topic: Short Cab Ranger Interior Space

Hello all. 
I'm thinking of running an 80s Ford Ranger at some distant future race but I'm concerned about cramming a roll cage in there.  Or I'm concerned about punching holes in the cab for an exterior cage.  Either way, I'm concerned.
If you've run an 80s Ranger or at least gotten a good look at one with a cage in it, how are the helmet clearances?  Do you have to set the seat a little lower to get headroom?  I'm about 6'0 and probably the tallest person on the team.
I would prefer to have only the back stays breach the cab, since they can probably just pass thru the rear window opening.    I've found several pictures of various short-cab rangers with roll cages tucked into the cab so I know it can be done, but how tight of a squeeze is it?  Tight enough that the judges are going to get out the tape measure?
Thanks!

Re: Short Cab Ranger Interior Space

We have a 75 Chevy LUV, which is a little comparable.  I am 6'4" and our seat sits on the bottom of the cab and I am very close to the 2" top of helmet clearance. Our cage is completely internal to the cab and maxed out dimensionaly .  Don't focus solely on the head height requirement.  Once we got everything complaint from a cage standpoint, we realized we left ourselves a less than optimal driving position.  I believe I saw an s10 team with the rear hoop out the back of the cab, which would give you a few more inches of leg room.

I like the idea of the cage all interior to the cab, but I would probably do something little bit different to get a better seating position.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

This is the type of thing that John Pagel lives for.........
If you don't know already,Pagel is the chief tech inspector and the ultimate authority on cages and cage design....
Email him questions, pix,fashion tips,etc.....pagel@24hoursoflemons.com   big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

4 (edited by chaase 2019-10-29 04:06 PM)

BigBird wrote:

This is the type of thing that John Pagel lives for.........
If you don't know already,Pagel is the chief tech inspector and the ultimate authority on cages and cage design....
Email him questions, pix,fashion tips,etc.....pagel@24hoursoflemons.com   big_smile

/agree

I've seen bars over the top of the cab for driver protection, so I know some things can go outside. You would have to talk to Pagel about moving the main hoop outside. That seems like a no-no to me but may be allowed if the windshield bars are dropped back down the A-pillars. The seat can be right up against the harness bar if that matters.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I think my project is still too far in the future to start bugging Lemons staff with my hypotheticals.  I'm sure I'll be a pain in their ass eventually so I don't want to start cooking that turkey too early.
I was under the impression that only the width of the cage is really required to fit within the dimensions of the original vehicle body though.  If I were to go external would the front hoop be allowed outside?  I mean just the top half.  I'm thinking holes in the cowl for the front hoop to go down into and internal door bars of course.  Probably the bottom of the front hoop slanting backwards slightly to land inside the cab.  I don't have a truck to look at so I'm not sure how it lines up.  Seems like even if the entire front hoop was forward of the firewall it would still be allowed though.

Life will be easier with an extended cab, desert race trucks are extended cab for this reason. If you are passionate about a short cab, consider mounting your seat before anything else. Once seat is in and driver is comfortable, then ponder internal vs exo cage.  Shop for a seat. If you buy one now, it won’t be a waste whatever you end up building.  Have fun with your build.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I didn't find anything regarding your 'dimensional restrictions' [width] comment in the Lemons rules, though I might have missed it. I wonder if that was from a different series?

_Lots_ of information about small driver's spaces and roll cages in this topic:

Anyone else running a Fiat x1/9? General cage advice
[ https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=37653 ]

And more information in the following sections of the rules:

3.B MANDATORY SAFETY WEAR & NECK PROTECTION

3.B.5 Arm Restraints. Arm restraints are required when driving an open T-Top or convertible.

3.D.2 OE Crush Structures

And of course, as _everybody_ says: John Pagel.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LDTX11/LDTX11-UG-298.jpg

Or put the cage outside the roof.

I found this very old post.  It appears this passed tech back in 2011.  Would this still pass today?  That one doesn't appear to be forward of the firewall, but definitely external to the A-pillar.

To Lemon_Newton-Metre:  I was thinking of this section of the rules regarding width:
3.J.5 Nerf Bars Not Allowed. Added structural elements that extend past the original bodywork line are not allowed. In other words, no nerf bars, wheel-protection cages, or crash bars.
would seem to limit ALL exterior cages, but I'm pretty sure they're referring to sides, not top, since there seem to be plenty of convertibles with cages above the original body lines.

To Huskar: Thanks for the info.  I'm pretty sure a LUV is even more cramped than a Ranger so if you've managed to fit a fully internal cage in that, it gives me hope.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice!

Exo-cage when needed for helmet or body clearance is almost always OK.  But Evil Genius is the final authority.