1 (edited by Spinnetti 2019-11-11 11:13 AM)

Topic: Tech Escalation...

So just back after some years off, and things seem to have..... changed. Some of the cars were quite new, and some were clearly still valuable as street cars, also some expensive driveline swaps etc.. Something change while we were away? The whole pointy end of the field sure got a lot faster!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Re: Tech Escalation...

I'm pretty sure the Lexus will still be able to hang!

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Oh boy, I just deleted my response to the other thread about the $500 because.. well..

$500 is clearly not relevant when Viper powered cars win awards and not scorn.

And now it has been suggested that you practice with the car and learn to drive before a race.

Things have changed?   Ummm.....Yes. (to quote the recap video smile

"$500 is clearly not relevant when Viper powered cars win awards and not scorn."

It's not so much the Viper engine,but the car that the Viper is in.....and the amount of hours of fabrication and engine swapping and why the fuck am I doing this that gets the award...In my opinion,anyway....  big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Oh boy, I just deleted my response to the other thread about the $500 because.. well..

$500 is clearly not relevant when Viper powered cars win awards and not scorn.

And now it has been suggested that you practice with the car and learn to drive before a race.

Things have changed?   Ummm.....Yes. (to quote the recap video smile

I think ill-advised engine swaps have mostly been encouraged? See radial-powered MR2 (also not $500, but also, nobody cared). If it was an Icon Rolls with a Viper swap and carefully managed patina with an Art Morrison chassis... it wouldn't have been in C.

Overspending on things that don't actually make your car a better racecar seem also to have been mostly encouraged. And arguably, eating 22 gph, 3 (or 6?) engines did not make the Trolls Royce a better racecar. Those things might have made it a better Lemons car, because there is no other venue I know of that rewards that kind of shenanigans (Bonneville doesn't count, there's only one trophy, and The Baron isn't competitive there).

Lots of people do practice racing. It's probably a good way to improve the most important component, the nut behind the wheel. I haven't seen anyone advise "not knowing how to drive" as a pre-req for Lemons licensing... but there are certainly different levels of "knowing how to drive."

The things suggested in the other thread have nothing to do with the "spirit of Lemons." Nothing gets worse when people learn not to stuff two cars in a one car hole (or when people leaving a one car hole learn to leave a two car hole, because there are actually two cars that will be there in a second).

If you are going to whine about "the spirit of Lemons," I'd prefer you whine about stacker trailers, radio setups, and limited paddock space for unlimited parking of really nice cars at a hooptie race.

But I'm just some dude on the internet who would rather share a beer with you in the paddock or lend you the one tool/part you didn't bring that I just happen to have. See you at the track? Inde, maybe Willow, maybe HPR (x2?), maybe Buttonwillow, and maybe MSR.

That guy

Great to have you back in the family!  Hope you make it to a north east race.
I've done this for a little over 5 years, and yes, thing have changed.  But I would cut the Viper guy some slack...he just found a Lemons Loophole, and they still exist.  A Viper engine in a Rolls is truly is truly in the original Lemons spirit, and he really deserves any trophy he gets (I got screwed, heroic fixed, or Class A win).
Anyways, seems to me, what I've noticed, some things have changed, and some have remained the same.

Same:
- same bad drivers (and newbies are still welcome. Yey!)...seems like there is a difference between Bad Driver=unpredictable newbie, and Bad Driver=aggressive, impatient jerk off and probably not a newbie
- fantastic Lemons family comradery
- intolerance to aggressively bad drivers...they still do a good job of penalizing
- cash awards, great wrap up videos, patches, etc

Changed:
- more good drivers
- no more nickles for prizes
- no more really cool car-part trophies
- fewer legit Class C cars
- speed creep (see interesting discussion and fantastic stats on the recent Loudon NJ race in the other thread)
- seems like they don't really give out penalty laps (must be bad for business)
- more venues
- increased prices
- more safety requirements
- no more free Judge Phil photos
- better windshield race stickers
- better web site and Lemons store

probably more stuff I can't think of now...

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Oh... they give out penalty laps... I can verify that.

The series is the same.  Has been for the 10 years I’ve been around. Cars are really not that much faster.   Driving is better on average.  Everything is a little more competitive... but not in a bad way.  There may be a little less pageantry, but it’s still there.   Fields are still deep.  Traffic is plentiful.   We all still drink beer together, and teams still help each other even when racing against each other.   It still Lemons.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I have always suggested this going back to when I started ~10 years ago.  No, it's not mandatory.  But know what you are getting into before entering a hot racetrack for the first time is just safer for everyone.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The "no whining" rule still exists................  wink

Things are much faster, more cars finish and finishing in the top ten is very challenging these days.  Class B cars seem to be just as likely to win overall as A class cars. And, the driving seems to be a bit better these days.

Granted, my perspective is only East Coast and generally just the South East, but I think the growth and change has only made things better for us all.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Things were always going to shift. I don't think it's gotten anywhere bad, but things always shift.

I'll address the newer car comments. When Lemons started in 2006 cars from the mid 80s were 20 years old, and cars from the 90s would only be 10 years old. I think early on the focus was predominately older cars, but I believe there were some 90's cars being run earlyish in the series. We're almost into 2020, which means cars from 2000 are now 20 years old, cars from the 80s are over 30 years old, next year a car from 2010 will be 10 years old. So it makes sense that we're starting to see more and more mid 2000's cars popping up. Our car is a 2008, it's 12 years old, but it sure as hell looks like a new car in a Lemons field. It's a legit $500 car though. Worth $1000 at trade in, we sold well over $500 worth of interior alone. Never had a single judge even second guess our car being a legit Lemons car. It's easy to loose sight of the fact that just because it looks newer, doesn't mean it's worth a ton. We used to balk at E30's because they were worth so much more than $500, and then the E36, and soon the era of the E46 will be here. Fact is they all hit the point where they were old enough that junk ones really were/are that cheap.

There was some debate in the NH thread about the series getting faster. I think the largest takeaway was that while yes, the pointy end is a bit faster, the shocking part is how much the rest of the field has been catching up. That's what happens when you get teams developing a car over years and years, and getting better as drivers themselves. The average driver skill gets better the longer everyone keeps doing this. I don't think it's a bad thing. And I don't think it's bad to tell people they should get a little track practice before they come race. Doing even 1 HPDE before  your first race will help you dramatically in simply knowing track norms and figuring out your baseline for limits.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

In my view the Viper Rolls, which is a cool car,  is Jumping the Shark for Lemons.

Participation in Northern California has declined, you guys elsewhere maybe haven't caught up yet.

The whining is there is only one viable Lemons race here in 2020.  sad

12 (edited by Spank 2019-11-12 11:21 AM)

The business model is to penalize the slowest cars, and to make the faster-slow cars faster.

If you are too damned slow and they deem you to be in the way of the fast cars, they pull you off track "in the interest of your own safety".

If you are too fast for the slow class (Like you win Class C), you get bumped up to B and are told to make your car faster and you will be permitted budget leeway to make go-fast changes to your car.

If you are too fast for B (like you win Class B) ^^^ same story.

In fact, every race you do not win you are encouraged to make changes to your car to make it go faster through the "post race residual value" process.

If you are too fast for A (like you win Class A) you are rewarded with $. Win a second time, you are rewarded with $. Third time, you are rewarded with $, etc etc. Once upon a time, there were occasional lap penalties for overall winners. This has fallen away because some higher ups don't want to penalize people "just because they got it right" (not my words).

Sure, a talking head has said a time or two at an all-call meeting that this is "Amateur Endurance Racing" and that there are no professional scouts at the event and if you want to be a go-fast douche, you should go elsewhere (I'm paraphrasing). This is just lippus flappus. In the current model, this is not encouraged by the way the series is set up. If you win, you are free to win again and again and you must "self-graduate" . Unless you are in a slow-fast car, in which case you are forced to graduate and invest $ to get faster or invest a bunch of $ to buy another slow car to build into a fast-slow car until IT wins and is forced to graduate.

The series is 100% set up (or evolved) to promote speed creep and to have a bunching of faster cars at the upper end of the speed spectrum.

On the surface, it doesn't seem like it is supposed to be that way.

The series attracts new participants by highlighting the slowness and crappiness and general hopelessness of the series and magnifies the hilarity that ensures. New participants often bring what they see highlighted in the official publicity: Crap. When newbies arrive to their first event, they are faced with a dramatic reality check. They are either getting their doors blown off or they are watching 70% of the field out there racing while they are wrenching their asses off on a $500 minimally-prepped car. Some are even thinking, "Hey! We even CHEATED on the $500 budget and and we're STILL getting our doors blown off!"

That first race weekend quickly separates the wheat from the chaff that somehow slipped through after the first weeding-out process, which was the whole Form a team, start building a car, find team members to replace those who quit mid-build, finish building the car, and pay $1380 weeks in advance.

It truly takes a special breed to want to punish yourself a second time, or to admit to yourself that you totally got it wrong this first time and you're going to go out and give it another try (but first you need to find still MORE new team members because those second-tier replacements you had aren't coming back for another go).

And what do you think the focus is on for that second time team leader and the 3rd tier driver's she/he has had to recruit? Going faster. (We vets all know it should be "just make it run and finish" but that not that second time team leader)

The archetypal newbie-team is dwindling. Those newbies who are easily drawn to the series Hilarious Crap premise are already here, and it takes more effort to attract the new naive meat out there. And it is even harder to keep that new meat who has lost some of its naivete. So what you end up getting is seasoned / veteran meat from other series who already know how to drive, "cheat fast", and who just want to drive fast in a different setting and/or get more seat time.

The ball is rolling, if it hasn't already reached terminal velocity, it is damned near. There's nobody who is going to jump in the way to try to slow it down or change its direction. Lemons is what it is. Until it changes its mass through erosion, or something bigger comes along and crashes into it, it will just keep rolling along as it is. It's physics.

There were maybe some tweeks that could have taken place before it got this big, or perhaps some of the things that were in place previously that should not have been withdrawn or allowed to fall by the wayside, but that's all water under the bridge. Live in the now.

It's now, Nut Up or Shut Up.

"It's a goddamn race"

Spank wrote:

... naive meat ...

... did I hear my name? I think I heard my name ...

We are that team... IOE to C to B to A winner to win again and again... we got 6 penalty laps last race, 10 the race before that, 7 the race before that, 5 the race before that, Etc... It often prevents us from winning (actually 3 overall wins prevented by penalty laps).  We don’t cry foul.  We don’t stop coming.  Yes, the winning part might be a goal, but the racing part is what we come back for.

Having said this... there must be a significant difference in how things go regionally.

TheEngineer wrote:

And I don't think it's bad to tell people they should get a little track practice before they come race. Doing even 1 HPDE before  your first race will help you dramatically in simply knowing track norms and figuring out your baseline for limits.

I agree 100%. 

Not that anyone cares, or that it will ever change, but I think it should be mandatory to attend at least one HPDE prior to getting on the track for a race.  It would be safer for all involved.  I probably did over 50 HPDE events prior to my first race, and sure glad I did.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I just want to get in the video without wrecking the car
And yes my standards are low

MBTL Racing

17 (edited by TheEngineer 2019-11-12 12:58 PM)

I think the side of it that most never consider is the wear and tear running the series must put on the organizers. We're at year what, 13? At a certain point you start to burn out on any job, and this is a job for those running it. They keep doing it because it works, and it's profitable, and there is a huge group of people who want to keep doing it, but at some point you just stop caring as much about the silly details because the main logistics are just that time consuming.

I see it in a lot of volunteer organizations (and Lemons is a volunteer organization, no matter if there is compensation involved, you still need the people to step up and volunteer to help). The original group has a vision, but over time they start to burn out from the effort, so they bring in new help, but the new help changes things slightly. Then that group starts to burn out because things keep growing and you really need even more help. And eventually little details have vanished and it becomes an effort to just keep moving things as normal. My local makerspace is this way. We can't get new members to step up and help run the place, and the same 20 people who do all the work are just done. So the wonderful community that used to exist has fallen apart and now we're fighting to keep things operating the way they need to. It's no longer fun to go there and help, it's become angering to have to show up and clean up the same messes over and over because no one else will step up to do it. And we all complain about how things used to be different.

I'm not saying that Jay and crew are completely done and don't care, but it has to wear on them a bit. There's some people moving on that have been around forever. Just remember that when we wistfully wish for the good old days.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Doing even 1 HPDE before  your first race will help you dramatically in simply knowing track norms and figuring out your baseline for limits.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is HPDE? My guess is it's something along the line of High Performance Driver Education?

1991 VW Jetta #38 - cuz Whoopie Pie!

19 (edited by MZAVARIN 2019-11-12 04:31 PM)

Same:
- Great Forums discussions, respectful, thoughtful, insightful, mature

I never understood why they give penalty laps to cars in Class B or C, if the purpose of penalty laps is to punish cars that are too Cheaty/Expensive....seems like those cars would then automatically be placed in Class A. (keeping in mind the Lemons Loophole clause, which I think is truly appropriate...who isn't entertained at watching someone bring a super expensive car go racing, and then see it go KaBoom)....and certainly you could bring something as expensive as you want (Diamond studded AMC Gremlin, Viper Rolls, etc.), since those are  "expensive", but not really "Cheaty"....Seems like a Viper engine in a Rolls does not make it more likely to win anything except HF or IGS award....)
So it seems that penalty laps that are given, are only handed out to keep someone form winning too easily in each class.
So they hand out just a few laps to keep some teams from having too many repeat wins....But this does not seem to prevent teams from bringing more expensive cheaty cars....and creating such a speed discrepancy. 
And certainly 5 or 10 laps may prevent you from winning, but it won't stop you from making your car cheatier...

Also, junkier cars are becoming more reliable, so there seems to be less of an attrition rate at races: most people don't want to be stuck in the dirt wrenching on their car when they paid a lot of money to race....they can work on their car for free at home....so people are learning to prep their cars better....and stay out on the track more....And the more, the merrier!

Well, at least the attendance at the Northeast races has not seemed to decrease....although I'm spoiled since the races are relatively close to each other...

Thanks Lemons Jay&Co.!   Keep up the great work!

dungeonracer wrote:

Doing even 1 HPDE before  your first race will help you dramatically in simply knowing track norms and figuring out your baseline for limits.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is HPDE? My guess is it's something along the line of High Performance Driver Education?

Yup, exactly....

Even if those who don’t race in the 24HOL think this series is a joke and not real racing, and even if some who DO race the 24HOL don’t take the racing seriously and view it as an outlet for their mechanical creativity, it doesn’t mean that teams who DO want to “race” in the 24HOL can’t continue to develop their car, improve organization and race craft. 

To suggest that somehow those teams are always cheating or are not “in the spirit of Lemons” is short-sighted.  A majority of those teams (C, B or A class) have spent a considerable amount of time finding ways to “get better” and do it within the budget rules.  Some have found ways to transplant engines for free, or improve suspensions for free.  Some have bought a fuel cell and do longer stints.  Often it has taken teams several years and lots of failed attempts before any “success” happens.   But of course, those teams “try too hard”, “don’t get Lemons”, “are a danger to others”, or “are going to make newbie teams not want to come back”.

I suspect a majority of teams these days want to race at whatever speed, and want to do it in a non-threatening and accepting environment.   The option of having a theme and “competing” for judged awards that don’t require on track success really helps to give everyone some hope of recognition for their efforts.  I think it is ok to have some fast teams at the pointy end as long as they are safe and respectful.  I can think of teams in the Midwest like Bucksnort, Subliminal Racing, and Save the Tata’s that we were chasing, and that made it fun. 

As far as class progression and Lemons encouraging team to go faster....  If we never were pushed out of C with our 55 HP Geo Metro we likely would have done another year with it and likely would have won C another 3-4 times until it was no longer interesting.  Would allowing a team to get 6-7 wins in a row in C be better than moving them out?  Not sure...

As with all things, there is change.  I have had serious interest from organizers on how they can improve things.  Talk to them.

wah wah wah

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

MZAVARIN wrote:

I never understood why they give penalty laps to cars in Class B or C, if the purpose of penalty laps is to punish cars that are too Cheaty/Expensive....seems like those cars would then automatically be placed in Class A.

Because laps are not always about punishment, they are also about class balancing. There are cars that can dominate C, but have no chance of winning B, so you give them some laps to even the playing field in C and give more teams a shot at fighting it out for class win. Same with all the other classes. At the top you often see cars that have won overall get laps to even out the top of the field (or an attempt at that anyway). BS laps are first for enforcing the budget, and second for trying to balance classes with cars that fall somewhere in between classes.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

TheEngineer wrote:
MZAVARIN wrote:

I never understood why they give penalty laps to cars in Class B or C, if the purpose of penalty laps is to punish cars that are too Cheaty/Expensive....seems like those cars would then automatically be placed in Class A.

Because laps are not always about punishment, they are also about class balancing. There are cars that can dominate C, but have no chance of winning B, so you give them some laps to even the playing field in C and give more teams a shot at fighting it out for class win. Same with all the other classes. At the top you often see cars that have won overall get laps to even out the top of the field (or an attempt at that anyway). BS laps are first for enforcing the budget, and second for trying to balance classes with cars that fall somewhere in between classes.

/agree

When the Rover won C, we were told that we could be B or C with laps. For some reason, they though we could win C two times in a row, well considering the only reason we won the first time is because just about every C car blew up that race. We took it in stride and, as expected the Rover blew up and it was put back in C with no laps where it belongs.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Spinnetti wrote:

So just back after some years off, and things seem to have..... changed. Some of the cars were quite new, and some were clearly still valuable as street cars, also some expensive driveline swaps etc.. Something change while we were away? The whole pointy end of the field sure got a lot faster!

Welcome back!

I was happy to see an old a familiar face on Friday. They were running a legit Spec Miata since the Darth Bemer wasn't going to make it. I don't know how they did but I was happy we beat the Miatas!

As a car that's been in the pointy end of the field since 2008, I recently went back over some of our previous races. I did not look at all the car, I just compared our June 2011 to Nov 2017 lap times. We had more sub-2:00 laps in 2011 than in 2017. February 2011 was one of the fastest races I can recall at MSR.

Our fast laps at MSR 2019 were 1:58s compared to 1:56s in the past. Additionally, today's tires wear out faster.

Attrition is the biggest opponent in our races. The leading Miata split a radiator with a few hours to go. We thought we were in good shape with a 3 lap lead in the last hour when we broke a rear lower control arm. I think the judiciary panel recognizes this, the faster you try to go the more likely you are going to break something.

There's more to doing well than speed and appearance. Clean driving and good pit stops go a LONG way.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z