Topic: oil level sensor

I need to add an oil level sensor to our car for the 24 hr race, otherwise we'd lose too much time doing oil check stops. The damn car eats a quart every 3 hours, and I only have 3+1 to begin with.

Educate me: what's a common car with an easy-to-remove oil pressure sensor that screws into a nut in an oil pan, works well, and (ideally) closes the circuit under low oil conditions?

K Car Stalker

Re: oil level sensor

I know E46 6 cyl has one that bolts to the bottom of the oil pan.  Seems like a leakproof way to do it would be to cut the mount off the pan and weld it into yours.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 (edited by fleming95 2019-12-03 01:03 PM)

1992 Ford Explorer (4.0L V6, so also Ranger+who knows what else) has an oil level sensor, mounted to the side of the pan.

Unless the pan was baffled, wouldn't the light come on every time you took a corner?

Also, wouldn't this only be an issue on tracks with hot pits -- during paddock fuel stops/driver changes a team member could check the oil while the others were strapping the next driver in?

Just a couple of thoughts.  We have a car that we need to check the oil every stop too -- uses a quart every 1.5-2 hours.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

majo wrote:

Also, wouldn't this only be an issue on tracks with hot pits

The race in question is at CMP where we have hot pits.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Doesn't the oil pressure idiot light tell you when you are low on oil?  When it starts blinking in corners, we add oil.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

GM 12603782

Many, many GM cars have this sensor.
Check Rockauto.com and you can see what cars came with this sensor.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

GM 12603782

Many, many GM cars have this sensor.
Check Rockauto.com and you can see what cars came with this sensor.

I think all our Series II 3800's have it but it is ALWAYS non-functional.  Not sure if it is a comment on GM oil level senders or the condition of the vehicles we get.

So...could you not just fix it's oil loss/useage?

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

rb92673 wrote:

Doesn't the oil pressure idiot light tell you when you are low on oil?  When it starts blinking in corners, we add oil.

Indirectly, and also very late. By the time you see low oil pressure it means your pump is sucking air. Meaning you have already lost oil volume for cooling and oil stability. And any low oil pressure indications while the engine is spinning at much above idle is risking eventual bering failure.

You ideally want to know when you’re a quart low, not only a quart left.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Maverick74 wrote:

Most manufacturers consider a Quart every Thousand miles to be acceptable, so barring a full engine teardown and rebuild. In a race where a two day session is equivalent to over 10,000 miles of “regular” duty, you’re just going to consume oil.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

accusump and carry extra oil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153743713960

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173916186922

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/d/or … 77574.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/d/ … 68844.html

Spank wrote:

accusump and carry extra oil.

Or do like the practical Canadians up at DeHavilland did and put a filler in the cabin:

https://www.flyer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/D4S1930.jpg

(see the yellow cap?)

Not technically against tech... maybe.

fleming95 wrote:

Not technically against tech... maybe.

3.F.6 Fuel, Oil, and Coolant in the Cockpit. Any fuel, oil, or coolant reservoirs or lines that are exposed to, or pass through, the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate.

I'm guessing that "encased" doesn't encompass "except, of course, for a conveniently located filler cap."

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We don't currently have a big oil consumption problem, but we did add 2 quarts of capacity when we added the oil cooler and remote filter. 

Adding capacity seems like a plausible solution.

Captain

Guildenstern wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

Most manufacturers consider a Quart every Thousand miles to be acceptable, so barring a full engine teardown and rebuild. In a race where a two day session is equivalent to over 10,000 miles of “regular” duty, you’re just going to consume oil.

This seems like a gross over generalization... We've never had a car that drank oil so bad that we were worried during a race. The saab uses literally none. I can't think of a single race we had to add oil. The daytona, even on it's worst engines, was maybe add half a quart. The better engines used none.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

This seems like a gross over generalization... We've never had a car that drank oil so bad that we were worried during a race. The saab uses literally none. I can't think of a single race we had to add oil. The daytona, even on it's worst engines, was maybe add half a quart. The better engines used none.

We had an '08 MINI Clubman that drank 1 qt of oil every 2 tanks of fuel and it had under 80K miles on it. Didn't leak a drop. Didn't blow visible smoke. didn't change at all after doing some valve cover pcv valve magic. Checked with the dealer mechanics: "Oh, that's normal for the N12 engine"

Guildenstern wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Indirectly, and also very late. By the time you see low oil pressure it means your pump is sucking air. Meaning you have already lost oil volume for cooling and oil stability. And any low oil pressure indications while the engine is spinning at much above idle is risking eventual bering failure.

You ideally want to know when you’re a quart low, not only a quart left.

6 races with this strategy and it hasn't blown up, but it is a redblock.  Seems to be happening more since I added a remote oil filter, so we started adding an extra quart.  Maybe I should get a pressure gauge, but I only have one driver who has ever looked at a gauge (cheseroo).

Maybe I should prep my spare engine.

If you know how much it consumes, then why the need to check the dip stick?
Perhaps you need a 'full' light instead, so just top it off every pit until the full light goes on.
it only has to work with engine off and car not moving, so easier and more reliable than a car running and driving trying to determine the oil level, which btw is probably possible if it has a 'level' tube in the pan that is not sensitive to sloshing, like how they do fuel level in gas tanks.

rb92673 wrote:

Maybe I should get a pressure gauge, but I only have one driver who has ever looked at a gauge (cheseroo).

I can't imagine racing a car without an oil pressure gauge.   If your drivers won't watch the gauge, just get a big light instead.  We actually have both. 

You can get a oil pressure switch with a high enough pressure rating to be useful, but not annoying to turn on the light all the time.  We have a 30 PSI switch in our Honda, but to be honest, if you only have 30 PSI in a Honda, it's going boom pretty soon.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

Maybe I should get a pressure gauge, but I only have one driver who has ever looked at a gauge (cheseroo).

I can't imagine racing a car without an oil pressure gauge.   If your drivers won't watch the gauge, just get a big light instead.  We actually have both. 

You can get a oil pressure switch with a high enough pressure rating to be useful, but not annoying to turn on the light all the time.  We have a 30 PSI switch in our Honda, but to be honest, if you only have 30 PSI in a Honda, it's going boom pretty soon.

I have a really bright oil pressure idiot light, my drivers do notice that. 

What I really think I should do is get a combo idiot light and pressure gauge sensor and connect it to microsquirt and log it.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Whenever we have a oil burner someone is assigned to monitor how much it uses in what timeframe, when we pit for fuel a predetermined amount of oil is added at certain intervals through a fill hole cut in hood.

After each race we see if there is too much or little oil to adjust.

Oh,we always start one qt over factory fill, even with non burner engines to make up for lack of baffled pan. A blinking oil light in the turns has proven to increase rod bearing wear.
(nissan VG30DE)

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Guildenstern wrote:

Most manufacturers consider a Quart every Thousand miles to be acceptable...

8th gen Honda engineer?  Is that you?

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

jbl wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Most manufacturers consider a Quart every Thousand miles to be acceptable...

8th gen Honda engineer?  Is that you?

Both my 02 golf and my 02 outback were quoted as 1Qt/1000mi being acceptable. My guess is any more would effect emissions, and any less would be luck/“over engineering”

No kidding?  I know Honda stated there were issues with the piston rings in these engines leading to consumption, but I've never burned oil like this car does, especially as a DD.  At the same time though, it's about 1qt/1,000 miles, which is basically an oil change within every oil change duration, so it's not excessive compared to what you're saying.  I check it often though, so I don't know how people who don't are still driving these cars.

No issues in the 6th gen Accord we raced years ago, or with the L-series motors in the Datsun.  We still run a pressure gauge and an idiot light though, on top of a remote filter and oil cooler for added capacity.  Never, ever burned a noticeable amount of oil though.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510