Topic: Racing versus running? Do I have the right mindset?

Let me set this up by saying I make a distinction between driving well and racing well: driving being the ability to go fast; racing being the ability to maintain a fast pace in racing conditions--in heavy traffic, over a long stint, at various tracks, among cars of wildly varying speeds and drivers of wildly varying skills, in a crapcan... Overall, Lemons driving and racing is impressive. For all of the drivers on track with little experience, there are few scary incidents. Further, at the pointy end of the field, the driving and racing is exceptional.

Admittedly, I was very rusty in my return to racing after a 15-year hiatus. I had a two black flags in my first two races, one for contact and one for passing under yellow. The contact was minor; I put myself in a place where another driver could not see me. East to correct. I really took the passing under yellow thing seriously and got way more disciplined about watching the corner stations. In both cases, I really should have known better and have made the appropriate changes. Since, I put one wheel off in my last four races, for which I self-reported.

Now that I have shaken off the rust, I have gotten to the point where I know which are the faster cars and give them lots of racing room and point-byes when it's is safe. However, after more than two years of Lemons racing, I want to race rather than just run our cars in Lemons. I want to race even though we may not be in the hunt for a win. I want to push both my driving and racing. The competitive juices are flowing. In all fairness, I believe I have enough experience and skill to do both and stay well within my own and our cars' limits.

Initially, I liked Lemons a lot because, although I have decades of motorsports experience, I did not have to take myself too seriously. I still enjoy Lemons immensely. The culture is great. But my mindset behind the wheel has gotten more competitive. Am I in the wrong series? Is this escalating feeling of cometitiveness common? Can I both drive/race hard (even though we are not likely to win) and embrace the don't-take-myself-too-seriously culture? Or does the culture in the paddock extend onto the race track to the degree that I should really cool it on track or go find myself another series? What's your experience been like?

--bb

2 (edited by RobL 2019-12-10 12:30 PM)

Re: Racing versus running? Do I have the right mindset?

I consider myself where you want to be. 

I take the racing seriously.  I'm organized, our pit stops are fast, our car is prepped to last the race, we run good tires, etc.  All the things that I can control are done to put me in a position to win.  The seriousness stops and humor starts with things I can't control.  If we have contact on track that may not have been our fault, we can't get mad at that.  We had a ball joint remove itself from the car, the team had to laugh at that and we didn't get angry.  If you are in the car and getting frustrated at the car ahead of you for being in the wrong place (perceived or actual) on the track, then other series beckon.  If you can't laugh at yourself and admit your own mistakes and shortcomings when things go wrong, then you are taking yourself too seriously for Lemons. 

BTW, I've found that some of the fastest cars on track are also some of the hardest partyers in paddock.  Some of that is what I mentioned - if your car is prepped good enough, you don't need to work on it in paddock.  In other series, that empties out the paddock as they go out to dinner and back to hotels.  In Lemons, that leads to drinking in paddock.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We're a middle of the pack B car....We stop for lunch since winning requires a whole different mind set.
Fuel cell,longer stints and stuff that sounds like more money and or more work
I personally have a huge blast just being on the track..

MBTL Racing

RobL wrote:

The seriousness stops and humor starts with things I can't control. If we have contact on track that may not have been our fault, we can't get mad at that.  We had a ball joint remove itself from the car, the team had to laugh at that and we didn't get angry.  If you are in the car and getting frustrated at the car ahead of you for being in the wrong place (perceived or actual) on the track, then other series beckon.  If you can't laugh at yourself and admit your own mistakes and shortcomings when things go wrong, then you are taking yourself too seriously for Lemons.

I think you make an important distinction here; so, I should clarify. I am not frustrated or angry in any way. Just highly competitive. I enjoy both the competition and the paddock culture. I hope to be able to enjoy both, but not if my sense of competition is inappropriate for Lemons.

We are also a mid-B team, although we can often run in the top 25 overall when we are dialed in.  So, maybe another question arises here: when does one driver’s enthusiasm for racing hard make another driver’s racing experience feel less fun? How do we reconcile those two competing interests? Is an attitude adjustment required of an enthusiastic driver? Of the fun driver?

—bb

To the OP: I think it will depend on your team. 

I am at the same point as you.  I think we have figured out how to get around the track without endangering ourselves and others, and I try to bring a car that will run all weekend, but we haven't taken everything super seriously up to this point.  I want to take the team to the next level to see if we can move from middle of class B to competitive.  I don't know if everyone on my team wants to go on the same journey.

At the end of the weekend I still want a team that had a good time, still like each other, and felt like they accomplished something.  Even though we finished 102nd last weekend, we overcame some difficulties with a car that wasn't running right and we are all excited about our next race.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

You can have a good time and still be competitive. I try and mix up class C drives with competing and developing my now-decent Volvo PV544.

Nothing wrong with trying to win B, your team org and prep is more important than raw speed, tho you need to be somewhere in the upper third of your class I think to pull it off.

The People of Lemons™ are why I keep coming back.

12 years and 103 races later it's still a good time.

-Anton

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

Hard to answer the competitive racer question.  I think it’s different with every team and every driver.
We keep trying to be the team that wins a race but everyone else barely knew we were even racing against them.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

8 (edited by Guildenstern 2019-12-10 10:13 PM)

There's literally 3 class winners at every race, Usually they aren't having less fun and they aren't ruining the fun for anyone else (except maybe the team in second if they're unusually close). They do have to spend a lot of money, and a lot of time to do so, but that's their problem.

In a race that's usually determined by tens of laps, not tenths of seconds. You really don't have to be a pain to yourselves or others to win. You just go out there drive Fast and be Quick, and minimize time in and around the pits/penalty box. What WON'T give you a competitive edge like it does in Sprint Road Racing and Circle track racing is "secrets". You're not an F-1 team. Being aloof and secretive won't win you anything, and aside from common interest, nobody cares about someone else's "Game Changer super magic parts" or whatever crap "real racers" use to justify being secretive insular jerks to each other. *cough*ClubNationals*cough*

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

My $0.02.

Do you like your cars fenders?  If so, you're in the right place.  If you don't care, and like to play high speed bumper cars, you have your answer.

Before anyone says "the other series has gotten better, and it's not like that", no it hasn't, and it is.  I've run both and the other guys all race like they'll get a million dollar check at the end.

IMO, Lemons is more "fun" whether you are trying to win or not.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I'm not sure where this mindset came from that you can't take racing seriously in Lemons. Even when I started like 8 years ago the racing was serious enough, and the cars and pit community was relaxed. Even if the cars and community are a bit on the sillier side, it's still racing, and there  shouldn't be a penalty for wanting to do the best your team can do.

We take the racing seriously in the sense that we always have a goal we're working to for the weekend. Lately it's been finish top 20, top 15 if we do really well. We take our stints seriously, plan our weekend, and overall are trying to meet that goal. But we have the understanding that we're racing with friends and if things go wrong, so be it, we'll laugh it off and try again. Racing for C-class win was a lot of fun, we took it seriously and really tired in our last years in the class. Never got there, but we tried.  And we know there are others out there that are just there to have fun, which is 100% fine. They have the same right to be there, and it's just part of the Lemons challenge to share the track with them.

There is no reason that we can't all have different goals and motivations for showing up on race weekend. If you like the actual racing, great, so do others. If you are just doing it to blow off steam with some friends for the weekend, great, so are others. Either is acceptable and shouldn't be frowned upon by the rest of the community.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I will echo some of the thoughts above. If you are patient and courteous while being fast then I don't mind sharing the track with you and this is a good organization for you to align yourself with. If you are willing to punt someone into the grass because they are slower than you, this may not be where you need to be spending your time.

I've experienced the latter in one of the other series and can say that I'll not ever run in with them again.

12 (edited by fleming95 2019-12-11 10:10 AM)

I'd say that if one is competing _against_ the other 'racers' then he is taking it too seriously, but you're competing _with_ them then it's the right kind of sportsmanship. 

Let's take Eyesore, for example. If I were 'racing' at that level, I'd _want_ to have other teams around with that type of track awareness and racecraft - and self-deprecating humor-to help pull me along.  If a driver started focusing on those teams as ones to _beat_, rather than to be able to go faster than...then you're starting to go semi-pro.

Remember, for some (most?) of us Lemons was the draw into racing because there were enough (ab)Normal Joes out there that we started to think that we too could also pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and get better/faster/funner - and also don't forget that (unlike the other series that i've heard about) the 'competition' here is against the Hand of Fate that lingers around $500 race cars!

I always tell newbie Teams there are three basic types of teams (revised definitions below) and infinite variations of those three.  As long as the team is all on the same page, you and your team will always be welcome.  Just don't forget the golden rule.

We are here to win and that other Lemons stuff might be interesting

We are here to compete but not at the expense of all the other stuff Lemons has to offer

We are here for the full Lemons experience which means the car will likely be on track...some...maybe

Even though our team intentionally got rid of our original, moderately competitive B car to start chasing IoE's, we have no issue being on track or in the paddock with any of the teams types above.  Now our second IoE winning car has developed into something that can easily compete for a Class B win, we have to decide how we handle that within the team.

I think there's a natural inclination toward being more competitive as you spend more time in the car and Lemons affords you—as long as your crap is running, anyway—A LOT of time in the car to improve your ability. As many others have pointed out, being competitive and having fun aren't mutually exclusive. Cerveza Racing won their 15th Lemons race last weekend; no one would ever accuse their team captain of not being competitive, but he's not cutthroat about it and he knows that once the car is off the track, it's time to hang out and enjoy the weekend with other Lemons people.

I'd like to think there's room in Lemons for everyone except the people who want to drive like Roger Penske or Joe Gibbs has scouts at Lemons races. There are plenty of sandboxes for those racers to crash into.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

15 wins????  Holy crap... that's amazing.

therood wrote:

... the people who want to drive like Roger Penske or Joe Gibbs has scouts at Lemons races.

It could be my complete ignorance here, and this is only roughly analogous, but as someone who loaned a car to a friend to drive, I fully expected it to come back in the same condition I lent it [it didn't, he hit a bag of concrete which fell off a truck driving on a highway. I wish he had collision insurance. Oh, well...].

If I had a business, resources, and scouts like Penske or Gibbs, they'd be looking for the drivers who can:
1. go fast, understanding the capabilities of the car they're driving and the conditions in which they're driving (to include the apparent capabilities of the other cars and drivers also on the track) and,
2. make intelligent passing decisions, so as to ***NOT*** damage the car, or, cause others to lose control avoiding imprudent choices, thereby potentially injuring someone.

But: I don't know anything about racing.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
therood wrote:

... the people who want to drive like Roger Penske or Joe Gibbs has scouts at Lemons races.

It could be my complete ignorance here, and this is only roughly analogous, but as someone who loaned a car to a friend to drive, I fully expected it to come back in the same condition I lent it [it didn't, he hit a bag of concrete which fell off a truck driving on a highway. I wish he had collision insurance. Oh, well...].

If I had a business, resources, and scouts like Penske or Gibbs, they'd be looking for the drivers who can:
1. go fast, understanding the capabilities of the car they're driving and the conditions in which they're driving (to include the apparent capabilities of the other cars and drivers also on the track) and,
2. make intelligent passing decisions, so as to ***NOT*** damage the car, or, cause others to lose control avoiding imprudent choices, thereby potentially injuring someone.

That's probably right and suggests you know quite a bit about racing, obviously. But there's a subset of racers who think that Real Racers™ demonstrate their racing prowess by running on the knife-edge of grip at all times and crumpling some/all of the car is just  consequence of that.

Here's a random Pro Tip, since I'm getting myself in the Lemons Judging Mindset at the moment: If you've ever thought, "I had nowhere to go," after an excursion or contact, then you need to work on thinking farther ahead and leaving yourself an out. That's one of the things—though certainly not the only thing—that really separates to the top tier of Lemons racers from the teams with quick cars who seem stuck at 10th place.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

To be clear, what we do, is very slow... and not at all at the edge of anything.   The difference between what we do and what guys do who are paid to drive on TV is about the same as the difference between a guy who plays hoops at the YMCA on the weekend and an NBA player.  Just because you’re beating the crap out of a bunch of schlubs at the Y doesn’t mean you can step on an NBA court.

Keep it fun, keep it safe.  No one is getting a pro-ride from their performance at a Lemons race.

I’m pretty sure even Cerveza isn’t getting approached by anyone to drive their IMSA car.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

And just to put it in perspective, they got black flagged to the trailer their first race.  They certainly have cleaned up their act since then which should give hope to everyone.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

And just to put it in perspective, they got black flagged to the trailer their first race.  They certainly have cleaned up their act since then which should give hope to everyone.

YEA!

And I started my very first Lemons race with a 2-hour time-out BF penalty even BEFORE the green flag was thrown on Saturday, so what does THAT tell you??!?!???!11?!1?1?>!1?!

Spank wrote:
cheseroo wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

YEA!

And I started my very first Lemons race with a 2-hour time-out BF penalty even BEFORE the green flag was thrown on Saturday, so what does THAT tell you??!?!???!11?!1?1?>!1?!

That you shouldn't rip your car around the skidpad before the race to make sure it runs?

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

therood wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

That's probably right and suggests you know quite a bit about racing, obviously.

Thank you, but you're far too kind.

No racing experience whatsoever - not even digital. I "grew up" on the Schuylkill Expressway near Philly driving my father's car - but I'm sure that's not the same.

I've been reading just about everything in this forum to learn, though, and my previous is my opinion and my driving ethic.

I went through a similar thing after racing for 4 or 5 years, and found myself wanting to actually get better instead of just be on track. I was glad that I found a few resources that pointed me in the right direction to get significantly faster while keeping the right attitude for endurance racing. I can't tell if you're asking for advice or not, but I'll offer some up anyway. smile

Since you mention mindset, the single most important piece of advice I read somewhere was to make sure to only focus your mind on driving more precisely, and never on driving faster. Driving more precisely means you're adjusting for whatever the current situation is, and people are never in your way*. Your goal is to brake and turn and apply throttle at the right times for whatever the current conditions are.

When my focus was on driving faster, I was much more likely to feel like other people were in my way or slowing me down, and I kept finding myself more likely to brake later and later and hit the gas earlier and earlier, and my videos reflected a twitchy, always-on-the-edge vibe that was faster than before, but not by much.

As soon as I adopted the precision-instead-of-faster mindset, my videos became almost boring, my average lap times plummeted, and I ceased to have any "you've gotta see this crazy thing that happened on track!" highlights because I was almost never in any sketchy situations anymore.

The other piece of advice I'll offer is to keep your eyes up if you aren't already doing it. Look way, way down track. You'll be faster and more able to stay out of trouble.

*Of course, I still lose my temper every now and then and get irritated with people on track. C'est la vie. smile

Oh, and I race in the other series very frequently, and the average speeds are significantly higher. I think that can make it feel like the racers are being more competitive. However, I receive point-bys and friendly waves on track much more frequently over there (and the officials are so, so much more friendly, which still seems weird to me, but it is what it is).  Everyone has a different experience, ya know?

1: There are 100 teams at events, and most teams have 3~5 drivers.  You're just not going to please everyone.  However, I'd like to think the majority of us are in the same mind set and that's why we're here in the first place.

2: I think a lot has to do with how you present yourself as well.

IE: I'm not competitive with passing car X, so I give the point by.  Or maybe I'm competitive with car Y, but I set up poorly for this turn, so I gave them room to get by.  But then car Y and I play cat and mouse for the next 10 laps and have an absolute blast.

Versus, I set up poorly for a turn or got stuck in traffic, so I intentionally shut the door on car Y.  And maybe if they still get around, I dive bomb them in the next turn, and track back out really tight causing them to check up.  That's being a no good competitive A-hole.  And honestly, in endurance racing, it's going to get you no where long term.

In almost 5 years of Lemons, the greatest times I've had are not the wins, losses, or anything in between.  It's the fun close battles I've had with evenly matched cars, tracking down the other driver in paddock after your stint is up, and exchanging handshakes and huge grins.  And that's an experience about every race.

Sure, I've had some negative experiences as well.  But that's the minority and I suspect they're not actually have fun themselves.  Why would I let them drag me down?....

You're in the right place in my book.