Topic: how to drink water in the car

We removed all the cup holders.
I've suck on a lemon drop, but could that be a choking hazard?

Re: how to drink water in the car

We put in a cup holder to fit qt gadorade, a hole is drilled in the top where a piece of vinyl tube sticks out long enough to get under the helmet.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We bring camelback drink bladders with us.  In the space between the seat and the door bars we put a small bucket (usually the bottom of a windshield washer fluid jug zip tied to the roll cage), then each driver brings their own drink in and out of the car with them, and it is easy to access when you need it in the car.  Makes a big difference in long shifts.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

We use a 2-quart drink cooler (each driver has his own) that sits in a holder behind the seat, and uses a camelbak hose with bite valve.  We switch it out for each driver on our pit stop.

With 2-hour stints, heat and humidity in the south, it's a must for us.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

another camelback vote. Get a right angle bite valve, makes it easier to get up under the helmet to your face.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

6 (edited by chaase 2019-12-11 07:24 AM)

We have a full drink system. A cooler is mounted in the car with 2x1 gallon jugs of water in them. A small 12v pump activated by a button accessible to the driver. A bite valve on a clear plastic tube runs to the driver who can drink when needed. Swap out the jugs between races and pump an iodine solution through the hoses to sterilize it before it each race.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Camelback with adapter to plug right into helmet.  Each driver has a bag and it gets switched out at driver change.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Sippy Cup that sits in a bicycle-style holder mounted to the trans tunnel.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

The water-bladder system seems to be increasingly common. Fun Fact: Pyrotect actually makes such a system with a magnetic mounting system that you can buy in the Lemons Store. I couldn't honestly tell you if the price is good or not on that kind of thing, but there it is.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

We chew gum.  Not just any gum, but caffeinated gum: https://www.amazon.com/Jolt-Energy-Gum- … _sxwds-bia

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We use the Longacre Drink Holder and each driver has their own bottle that change out with them.
That way we can each have our preferred hydration solution  in the bottle.
We used to use a Camelback and change bite valves with each driver,
but the water would get warm by the end of the day.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We use the Longacre system too, but we switched out the bite valve for the nice 90 degree Camelback. Works great and At least for ME I drain it every stint.

I have to moma hen all my other drivers who come in half dehydrated with a mostly full drink bottle.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

RobL wrote:

We chew gum.  Not just any gum, but caffeinated gum: https://www.amazon.com/Jolt-Energy-Gum- … _sxwds-bia

Wouldn't gum be a choking hazard like a lemon drop (which works great, just seems a hazard).

I got one of these camelbak bladders at walmart for $12,
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Prod … k/51036881

Now have to figure out how to use it..lol   Does it feed by gravity or is the bladder pressured?

Just bleed the air from the bag, bite and suck on the bite valve.
The bite valve keeps the liquid from draining back to the bag when you stop biting it.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

The bite valve keeps the liquid from draining back to the bag when you stop biting it.

Ahh, so just like a drink straw, but better.  Thanks!   
I'm going to need some kind of secure mount, as water is not lightweight, do they have extra light water for racing?  wink

Guildenstern wrote:

We use the Longacre system too, but we switched out the bite valve for the nice 90 degree Camelback. Works great and At least for ME I drain it every stint.

I have to moma hen all my other drivers who come in half dehydrated with a mostly full drink bottle.

I can never find the damn hose.....I will velcro it to my wrist next season

MBTL Racing

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I'm going to need some kind of secure mount, as water is not lightweight, do they have extra light water for racing?  wink

Carbonated water should be lighter weight, because, you know, carbon. Isn't that why carbon fiber parts are lighter?

Ratdoggy wrote:

can never find the damn hose.....I will velcro it to my wrist next season

We started hanging it from a zip tie loop from the roof so we can watch it flop around in the rear view mirror.

Capt. Delinquent Racing

nimblemotorsports wrote:
DelinquentRacer wrote:

Ahh, so just like a drink straw, but better.  Thanks!   

I just have the camelback hanging off the back of the seat with the arm straps looped around the seat wings.  Presuming my pink lil bod stays strapped in the seat, it shouldn't go far even in a flip.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

We use a Camelback with snap in tubes.  Each driver has his own tube.  Takes a second or two to swap the tube, the bladder stays in the car.

bs

Wow, all we do is stuff a bottle of water next to us into the seat.  During yellow flag, stuff the bottle under the helmet, extend lips over the opening and squeeze.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Stick the straw under your visor and squeeze.....

https://i.postimg.cc/PP0c9rt7/water1.jpg

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Wow, all we do is stuff a bottle of water next to us into the seat.  During yellow flag, stuff the bottle under the helmet, extend lips over the opening and squeeze.

Technically, that's against the rules (3.F.8).  You're not supposed to have any loose items in the cockpit.

bs

We keep it really simple - 90 minute shifts in warmer weather, and drink up before you get in (with water and/or Powerade). 

We'll add Camelbaks if we ever run a mid-summer race.

nimblemotorsports wrote:

I'm going to need some kind of secure mount, as water is not lightweight, do they have extra light water for racing?

Well... yes. Deuterium-depleted water is a by-product of the extraction of heavy water. There's at least one outfit that sells the stuff for its strongly-implied-but-not-actually-stated-so-don't-sue-them "health" benefits, with eight liters of water at 10 ppm deuterium going for $240 or six liters of the even lighter 5 ppm deuterium going for the same $240. A bit pricey, but just think of the weight savings over ordinary water at around 150 ppm deuterium!

Of course even greater savings (of weight, anyway) are available by also running this in the radiator and cool suit.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Wait they're charging more money for the garbage part of concentrating heavy water?

Why did I have to be cursed with a technical mind and not a charlatans mind!!!!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport