Topic: Lincoln LS V8

Found one for $400, only 100k miles, body damage only runs and drives good.  I've never raced before and in my mind this car would be perfect, tell me why I'm wrong.

Re: Lincoln LS V8

PohTayToez wrote:

Found one for $400, only 100k miles, body damage only runs and drives good.  I've never raced before and in my mind this car would be perfect, tell me why I'm wrong.

with that kind of spirit what can go wrong? The only thing I'd probably look out for is the suspension. Those were air ride I think. You might want to swap it out for a "regular" type.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

It has regular coil springs -- no air.

I've heard the transmissions aren't the best, but it's RWD so race it, blow it up, and replace drivetrain!

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

An LS with the weird little under 4L V8? Yea definite do it!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

PohTayToez wrote:

You're not wrong...

As veteran of some (ok, maybe one) competative build and lots of IoE builds, it depends on which end of the spectrum you lean toward.  Points to consider:

Moderately uncommon in PnP's in rural America at 7:30 PM Saturday night (think Focus, Cavalier, Panther body, Neon, Civic, Camry, etc)
Not all parts will be in stock at the local Autozone in rural....
Transmissions were known to fail on the street (which may end up meaning they are bulletproof on the track)
Will burn a decent amount of fuel and may not be kind to brakes, tires, etc due to weight
Pretty sure you will be the first to run the platform

So not discouraging this at all but I tend to point new teams toward already built cars for sale or platforms that tend to be more friendly to people needing to soend all their mental resources keeping the team running.

Now if the build is the fun for you, go nuts!

OnkelUdo wrote:

As veteran of some (ok, maybe one) competative build and lots of IoE builds, it depends on which end of the spectrum you lean toward.  Points to consider:

Moderately uncommon in PnP's in rural America at 7:30 PM Saturday night (think Focus, Cavalier, Panther body, Neon, Civic, Camry, etc)
Transmissions were known to fail on the street (which may end up meaning they are bulletproof on the track)
Will burn a decent amount of fuel and may not be kind to brakes, tires, etc due to weight

So not discouraging this at all but I tend to point new teams toward already built cars for sale or platforms that tend to be more friendly to people needing to soend all their mental resources keeping the team running.

This is some good info here, thanks. 
I had already considered the scarcity of parts and I understand the biggest risk with this sort if vehicle is something breaking, even small, and not being able to get a replacement at short notice.  I would appreciate recommendations for spare parts to bring!

PohTayToez wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

I had already considered the scarcity of parts and I understand the biggest risk with this sort if vehicle is something breaking, even small, and not being able to get a replacement at short notice.  I would appreciate recommendations for spare parts to bring!

There are couple of ways to go about it but first is to find out if there is an enthusiast forum and see what they are replacing on a regular basis.  Since no one is going to sweat and LS in BS inspection, try to replace those things up front and keep the removed parts as emergency spares.

Next, at least for me, it follows this heiarchy of spares:

Wheel bearings
Brakes
Cooling system
Engine management (sensors)
Suspension & Steering

Once you know what you MIGHT need in this category, search the online inventory of the chain stores local to the track while drinking a beer in the comfort of your home...if it is not in-store, in-stock and it can sideline the car, you should bring a spare.  In the case of our 1.6 Suzuki Esteem...that meant every fuel injection and ignition electrical part so about $200 in parts from Rockauto verses $65 and overnight transfer for ONE sensor at a chain store.

Alternative, and highly recommended if you can logistically do it...just bring a spare car as a driving parts donor.  Making sure it is the the same drivetrain config and checking rockauto to verify the part numbers on critical things are the same is key.  If this were a FWD car I would suggest what we used to do (and still can for our Dustbuster minivan) just bring a spare loaded subframe as it has all the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc, and weighs about half of fully built car.

OnkelUdo wrote:
PohTayToez wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

There are couple of ways to go about it but first is to find out if there is an enthusiast forum and see what they are replacing on a regular basis.  Since no one is going to sweat and LS in BS inspection, try to replace those things up front and keep the removed parts as emergency spares.

Next, at least for me, it follows this heiarchy of spares:

Wheel bearings
Brakes
Cooling system
Engine management (sensors)
Suspension & Steering

Once you know what you MIGHT need in this category, search the online inventory of the chain stores local to the track while drinking a beer in the comfort of your home...if it is not in-store, in-stock and it can sideline the car, you should bring a spare.  In the case of our 1.6 Suzuki Esteem...that meant every fuel injection and ignition electrical part so about $200 in parts from Rockauto verses $65 and overnight transfer for ONE sensor at a chain store.

Alternative, and highly recommended if you can logistically do it...just bring a spare car as a driving parts donor.  Making sure it is the the same drivetrain config and checking rockauto to verify the part numbers on critical things are the same is key.  If this were a FWD car I would suggest what we used to do (and still can for our Dustbuster minivan) just bring a spare loaded subframe as it has all the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc, and weighs about half of fully built car.

and reduce as much weight as possible, the doors, deck lid and hood should be nothing but the skin. Once the cage is in cut anything that is not part of the structure.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I have a V6 LS I will be needing to make go away once I remove the drivetrain.  I'm in SoCal though.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Jaguar S-type has things in common with Lincoln LS and the Jag had a 6 spd so maybe source that.

Red Lemons Racing wrote:

Jaguar S-type has things in common with Lincoln LS and the Jag had a 6 spd so maybe source that.

Lincoln had the same 6-spd too.  They were only available on the V6 models.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing