Topic: Roll cage padding

Lemons noob here, quick question about cage padding.

Hoping that the links below work, how perfect does cage padding need to be to pass tech with reference to joints? The pic below are just extra little pieces I had from other cuts...didn't know if it all must be covered to pass or if this will fly. Drivers footwell shown...Thanks for the input!

https://i.postimg.cc/RWSmrcqz/IMG-1957.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nh7hD2JM/IMG-1957.jpg

LS-10 Racing '98 Chevy S-10
2022 Road Atlanta: LET'S F**KING DO THIS!!!, 2021 MSR: 19/101 (5/36 B-class) overheated transmission
2021 NOLA: 21/65 (6/25 B-class) snapped upper control arm, 2020 MSR: 73/103 (27/36 B-class) blown transmission

Re: Roll cage padding

Basically you want to cover every bit of cage that any bit of your body can possibly reach.  Keep in mind that parts of you like your neck can stretch ridiculously far in a big wreck.  You want to use the high density padding (non-SFI high density is a bit cheaper) at minimum anywhere your head can hit.  This pool noodle stuff you have will pass but if you ever need to put it to use will wish you had the high density stuff.  What you have also degrades a lot faster than high density.  I don't like to leave any cage exposed to my pink little bod so at those points where the cage tubing intersects I will notch the padding for the intersecting tube so there is padding covering the intersections.  As to whether this will pass tech I suspect so but since I've never left tube exposed like that I wouldn't know.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3.E ROLLCAGE REGULATIONS - 3.E.1.c wrote:

Rollbar Padding. All roll cage tubing must be padded with high-density rollbar padding wherever a driver may contact the tube–head, knees, elbows, etc.

According to the letter of the law, the padding MUST be high-density, the stuff in your pictures is not high density and will technically not pass. However, you will see that ~95% of the cars at any given race only have high density padding where the helmet will hit the bar(s). For all other places, they often use the low-density stuff. I'm guilty of this stuff myself.

However, at the last race (October), I was told to replace all the padding on my door bars with high density padding. YMMV.

Regarding the joints and fitment, they've never seem to be that picky or critical. Your fitment looks great to me.

The Pentastar whisperer

4 (edited by -SDR- 2020-01-29 05:47 AM)

I prefer the high density on that vertical section, one piece from the floor to the dash bar, and the same stuff on the bottom of the dash bar.  As mentioned, also use the high density anywhere your head can hit.  The rest with high or low as you feel fit.

It appears your hoop support has some grinding on it where your door bars attach as that is a 'no-no', and what's up with that spreader plate?

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Just imagine your ankle bone hitting that exposed vertical bar at high speed.

High density covering everything is the way to go

Takata R&D :: 1993 Accord - team captain - rear drum brakes lol
GoPro 360 Heros :: BMW E28  - co-captain

I think all cage padding should be this
Longacre Racing's high density roll bar padding offers the maximum in energy absorption and flame retardation. Used by many Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series teams, this roll bar padding will not drip or melt in the event a fire does occur. Longacre High Density roll bar padding is self adhesive (pre-taped), for a quick and clean installation.

All other padding's is just  like foam gasoline

FWIW, all SFI 45.1 roll cage padding is rated to be flame resistant and wont drip in fire.  That's not specific to Longacre.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Don’t trust that it’s self adhesive. It’s a nice idea, but some zipties keep things in place better.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

cheseroo wrote:

FWIW, all SFI 45.1 roll cage padding is rated to be flame resistant and wont drip in fire.  That's not specific to Longacre.

just copy and pasted  the info, there is the interview of the guy from the Thompson race Champ when the Miata caught on  fire saying that the cheap foam was on fire around him and dropping on to him as he fight to get out of the car.

Which is why you should consider buying SFI 45.1 rated padding and not un-rated pool noodles.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport