1 (edited by wildwillmor 2020-02-07 04:01 PM)

Topic: Cage Mounting Question

Hello,
Is it allowed for a the down bars to be welded to square tubing, which is then welded to the floor, instead of spreader plates?
Thanks
Petty Crimes Motorsport

Re: Cage Mounting Question

Why trust anything else in the cage was done right if the cage builder wouldn't follow the basic and simple rules you gave him?

The cage should be built as tightly up against the body as practical. So A Pillar down to the floor in front. and main hoop behind the seat usually along the B pillar in a Coupe, or behind the B pillar in a small sedan.

You need to have at least 3 posts to post pictures, and they need to be hosted on a picture site like Imgur or something.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

You should probably check the size and gauge of tubing used before you decide to try to salvage any of it. Take a 1/16 drill bit and drill a hole in the tubing somewhere on the passenger side tubing where you can easily see in the hole. Then use a toothpick in the hole to measure the tubing thickness. Then measure the size of the tubing. Make sure you have the correct size and gauge. Getting that cage right is the most important thing you can do.

And if you find that the cage is "WRONG! post his info here so that no one else goes there and get screwed too.

Also: Postimages.org - I set up an account so I can control the pics, rather than just posting to their site as guest.

I hope you give him a chance to "Make it Right" first.

Pics to Pagel, and putting _him_ in contact with Pagel [with maybe ongoing process picture updates of the cage process] might get it fixed in time, make you whole, and develop a new, knowledgeable, compliant cage builder, able to sell his skills to more Lemons racers.

Or not.

Good luck.