1 (edited by Tiptoe the rat 2020-02-08 10:42 PM)

Topic: Question for the transmission guys

Heyo, I just wanted to get some input from the transmission guys round' here.

A few weekends ago we were doing some routine service on our Corvette.  I decided to drop the fluid on the trans (Doug Nash 4+3) and said fluid was, mettalic.  I caught some on my finger and rubbed, I didn't see or feel any large chunks or anything, but it clearly had metal powder in it.  I put some fresh fluid in the box and called it good for the night.

Now, Ive talked to some of the local transmission guys in the area and they are saying that some metal in the fluid on one of these old school boxes is normal.  Combine that with us beating it up, maybe thats why its a bit more then normal.  For my money that is a bit more then Id like to see however. 

The trans has had 3 races on it since we changed the fluid.

The trans shifts just fine, slick and smooth!

No noises, no jumping out of gear etc.

So I WANT to believe that its going to be OK, but with this oddball trans I'm worried, if it blows up the odds are the slim and the none that I can find one in a hurry to fix the car at a race weekend.

Thoughts??

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Question for the transmission guys

Yea you're gonna have some sprinkles in the fluid. Short of flushing it out you'll never not have them because they live at the bottom of the case and some of them are probably even from break in.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Re: Question for the transmission guys

Ya know the synchronizers are metal don't cha ? Every time you shift gears, a little synchronizer wears away. Always going to be a  metal film in the bottom of a manual transmission.  Keep a record of how well it shifts, that will tell you how thing are going inside.

All the Best