Topic: Selling Extra Doodads

This is probably a stupid question but that's why I'm posting it in the noob section:
If you buy a car that comes with ski racks, bike-holding trailer hitch, clamshell cargo box, canoe rack, ladder rack, truck canopy, slide in camper etc, then selling these things can be deducted from the purchase price, correct?
I mean it seems like a no-brainer but I just want to make sure I share the majority opinion here.  I suppose one could argue that those things are not part of the car?  They're part of the purchase price when you buy it though...
Thoughts?

Re: Selling Extra Doodads

Since this sounds like it's a pickup truck, budget probably doesn't matter.  But there are other impressionable young LeMoneers that read this stuff so my advice is document, document,document.  Have pictures of the vehicle with all that crap on it before you tear it apart.  Have copies of your sale ads.  Have pictures of the dude buying your crap handing you the money and you handing them the crap.  If you don't have (good) documentation, the judges will think you are just having a garage sale to offset your car costs.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I know you can sell parts off the car, I'm not sure about other things that came with the car.

I know of some miata teams that got the car back to $0 after selling off the interior bits and windows that the didnt need/want.

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

If you find a kilo of powder in the spare tire and sell it, does that contribute to the $500 cost?

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

Huskar wrote:

If you find a kilo of powder in the spare tire and sell it, does that contribute to the $500 cost?

I mean, if you find coins in the ashtray that counts, right?  Same thing!

King 1 wrote:

...a car that comes with ski racks, bike-holding trailer hitch, clamshell cargo box, canoe rack, ladder rack, truck canopy, slide in camper etc...

These should all remain on the vehicle for its entire racing career.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

4.7: Scavenger Sales: If you sell pieces off of your car, the money that comes back in can be used to offset the initial purchase price. (This only applies to stuff that counts toward the $500 total; the sale of exempt items–like wheels, glass, etc.–can NOT be used to offset the initial purchase price.) Just be prepared to convince some exceedingly skeptical judges of the validity of all those transactions.